PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Is as Stupid Does

burnet44
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
LM finalists to be grilled by community

By Joshua Buckley
The Daily News

Published March 6, 2007

LA MARQUE — Speak now La Marque fans, or forever hold your peace.

La Marque Independent School District is hosting a public question and answer session today with the three finalists for the high school’s athletic director/head football coach vacancy. The forum will begin at 6 p.m. at the high school’s commons area.

The three finalists — Lamar Consolidated’s Lydell Wilson, Refugio’s Chris Jones and La Marque interim athletic director Larry Walker — will each have 45 minutes to talk with members of the La Marque community and answer any questions regarding their candidacy for the position.

“This is such a big issue and the community takes a lot of pride in the football team,” said La Marque Superintendent Ecomet Burley. “A lot of La Marque’s identity is tied up into the football team. So this public forum will give the public a chance to talk to the (three) finalists and then give us some feedback.”

The public forum should be the final step in finding a replacement for former coach Bryan Erwin, who left La Marque in January to become the Flower Mound Marcus athletic director and head football coach. Erwin coached at La Marque for five seasons, compiling a 65-8 record and winning two state championships.

Burley said he would take feedback from the community following the question-and-answer sessions, and use it to help make his ultimate decision. Burley said last week he hopes to present his choice for the vacancy to the La Marque school board Thursday for approval.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I think more schools should do this.

Txbroadcaster
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

Man that sounds great on paper..But it all depends on the Qs. Will it be REAL questions that are valid, or will it turn into a political situation where who looks like he answers the Qs the best and looks good doing it will get the public's approval

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Man that sounds great on paper..But it all depends on the Qs. Will it be REAL questions that are valid, or will it turn into a political situation where who looks like he answers the Qs the best and looks good doing it will get the public's approval

I know it would have been nice to ask the new Rockdale coaches a few questions before they were hired just to get a feel for what kind of person they were.

big daddy russ
03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
I think it's a horrible idea. We elect officials to run this country for us because vast majority of Americans lack the foresight and mental capacity to do the job themselves. I wouldn't doubt if this turned out any different.

Txbroadcaster
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
I know it would have been nice to ask the new Rockdale coaches a few questions before they were hired just to get a feel for what kind of person they were.

And as long as that is how it stays then I agree..I just dont want it turning into a political thing. Cause we all know debates now are not about who said the right things..but who looked good saying it. Just lok at the Kennedy-Nixon debate on TV. Most historians will say Nixion was better on topic, but Kennedy LOOKED better on TV

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think it's a horrible idea. We elect officials to run this country for us because vast majority of Americans lack the foresight and mental capacity to do the job themselves. I wouldn't doubt if this turned out any different.

You're right in that, but parents of players are generally educated about the game and show a lot of interest and concern with the capability of those who teach their children, but as you said, some are uneducated and others just don't care.