PDA

View Full Version : Teen who gave 2 year old Pot talks....

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Teen sorry for video of children smoking pot

He says he wasn't the first to expose boys, 2 and 5, to marijuana

10:40 PM CST on Monday, March 5, 2007
By DEBRA DENNIS / The Dallas Morning News and JIM DOUGLAS / WFAA-TV
debdennis@dallasnews.com and jdouglas@wfaa.com

Demetris McCoy says he's sorry for the firestorm he caused after his two young nephews were videotaped as they smoked marijuana, but he says he doesn't believe he is the first to expose the boys to the illegal drug.

The Watauga 17-year-old is in the Tarrant County Jail, charged with injury to a child after police released a video of a 2-year-old and a 5-year-old boy doing drugs.

Demetris McCoy But even as he apologized in a jailhouse interview with WFAA-TV on Monday, Mr. McCoy talked about how his nephews didn't get high while smoking the marijuana. He predicted the youngsters would have eventually smoked the drug anyway.

"They wasn't even high," Mr. McCoy said. "They didn't even inhale it right."

The youngsters on the videotape are the children of Mr. McCoy's sister.

Mr. McCoy said he has been around marijuana all of his life and that drugs, for many, is just a part of growing up.

"Some people give their kids alcohol, let them smoke ice, methamphetamines. Weed ain't going to kill them," he said.

Mr. McCoy, the father of a 3-month-old daughter who said he is a high school dropout and pursuing a GED, said he has watched the video at the Tarrant County jail since his arrest last month.

"It happened, and I can't go back to the past," Mr. McCoy said. "I'm sorry for what I did. I'm sorry for the pain I caused my sister."

He described his nephews, who are now in foster care, as "puffing and playing with [the drug]."

Mr. McCoy said he allowed the children to smoke because he was high on marijuana at the time and also said he believed they had smoked the drug before.

Mr. McCoy's friend, 18-year-old Vanswan Polty, also is charged with injury to a child with bodily injury. If convicted, they could receive up to 10 years in prison and/or be fined $10,000.

The two were out on bail on a burglary charge in Watauga when the tape was made.

The tape was confiscated by Fort Worth police on Feb. 22 when officers executed a search warrant at Mr. McCoy's home in the 6000 block of Hickoryhill Road in Watauga.

Watauga Department of Public Safety Director Bruce Ure said the teens encouraged the two young boys to smoke a marijuana cigar.

The teens, laughing on the videotape as they offer the children the drug, call the boys "potheads." They also make jokes about the children having the "munchies."

"You're watching a crime in progress," Mr. Ure said. "This is their uncle, and he's encouraging them. They were so willing to go along, to please their uncle. Encouraging a 2-year-old who is clearly a baby – it's a baby, and they think it's funny watching him impaired."

Investigators, he said, were appalled as they watched the tape.

Mr. Ure said this was not the first time the children had been given marijuana.

"You can see that the 2-year-old, he's inhaling," Mr. Ure said.

The boys' mother told police that she was asleep in a back bedroom at the time of the recording.

Mr. McCoy said he is surprised by the attention the recording has raised, saying the media has blown the matter out of proportion.

"Nine times out of 10, kids are going to smoke," Mr. McCoy said. "Kids are going to smoke. It was going to eventually happen."

When told that media outlets across the world were showing the tape, Mr. McCoy said he did not welcome the attention.

"This ain't nothing to be famous for. This ain't good. I recorded it, and that's what hurt me most."

Police are searching a third teen who may have made the tape.

Mr. McCoy was arrested Feb. 23. Mr. Polty was arrested Friday in Fort Worth.

Both are being held in lieu of $150,000 bail.

A hearing to determine whether the boys would remain in foster care is set for March 26 in Tarrant County Juvenile Court, said Marissa Gonzales, spokeswoman for Child Protective Services.

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
"Some people give their kids alcohol, let them smoke ice, methamphetamines. Weed ain't going to kill them," he said.

TRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pirate4state
03-06-2007, 11:18 AM
WOW - I guess that makes everything okay...other people are doing it.

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 11:20 AM
"Nine times out of 10, kids are going to smoke," Mr. McCoy said. "Kids are going to smoke. It was going to eventually happen."

jason
Originally posted by kaorder1999

"They wasn't even high," Mr. McCoy said. "They didn't even inhale it right."
i guess that makes it all better huh...

kaorder1999
He's not sorry he gave the kids the Pot...he's just sorry that it has gotten so much attention!

mustang59
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
I wonder what part of "Anything you say can and will be used against you" did this idiot not understand. Especially when you say things that are this dumb. I hope they slap him with a long jail term. After all, in his words, "It was going to eventually happen."

BuffyMars
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
He has 3 year old! :confused:

MY WORD! THIS KID OBVIOUSLY LACKED IN THE MORAL DEPT. :foul:

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
a 3 month old!

pirate4state
03-06-2007, 11:33 AM
just nevermind :helpme:

Bullaholic
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
This is a 17-year-old kid, and he certainly should be accountable, but I still am more concerned about the "root" of this problem, which goes back to the adult parents in this incident. The days of morally bankrupt and irresponsible parents has got to end in order for their kids to have a chance in our society. We must "break" this cycle somehow if future parents are going to learn to take responsibility for their themselves and their family's actions. That is the only way that future generations will learn right from wrong.

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
This is a 17-year-old kid, and he certainly should be accountable, but I still am more concerned about the "root" of this problem, which goes back to the adult parents in this incident. The days of morally bankrupt and irresponsible parents has got to end in order for their kids to have a chance in our society. We must "break" this cycle somehow if future parents are going to learn to take responsibility for their themselves and their family's actions. That is the only way that future generations will learn right from wrong.

this 17 yeard old is a father himself....

piratebg
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
May they be found guilty and sent to prison. We can only hope that shower time will be the most frightening time of the day for them if they do go. :devil:

Bubba-Joe
03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
hummm
sounds like a good time to put a shovel to the back of someones head!
of course
the bleeding hearts are going to be running to this 18 year old saying how he is a victim too, he didn't get hugged enough as a young child, his self esteem was damaged, he didn't know better.
yeap
a shovel to the back of his head might just do the trick

Phil C
03-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
He's not sorry he gave the kids the Pot...he's just sorry that it has gotten so much attention!

Also that he got caught.

Bubba-Joe
03-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Courtesy of Charlie Daniels

We tell our kids to just say no
And then some panty waist judge lets a drug dealer go
And he slaps him on the wrist and he turns him back out on the town
Well, if I had my way with people sellin' dope
I'd take a big tall tree and a short piece of rope
And hang 'em up high and let 'em swing till the sun goes down
Well you know what's wrong with the world today
People done gone and put their Bibles away
There livin' by law of the jungle not the law of the land
Well the good book says it, so I know it's the truth
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth
You'd better watch where you go
And remember where you've been
That's the way I see it I'm a simple man

kaorder1999
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
while he's locke dup I hope some of those inmates get wind that he gave pot to a 2 year old!! He will run across someone who will not like that!!!