PDA

View Full Version : All Asu Grads-students Take Action Now

burnet44
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
ALL ASU GRADS PLEASE READ

ASU is considering becoming part of the TTU system.
I am not sure of all the details but it is something ALL ASU grads need to get involved in to see if any changes would be good or bad for ASU.

Please Call the university and speak to them.
Please contact the alumni association and speak to them

We all need to find out what is going on before something happens like TAMUK, Texas State, or TAMUC

The link to the group is

http://www.coalitionforasu.com/

the alumni contact is

Lynsey Hargrave Flage , Class of '97
Director of Alumni Relations
ASU Station#11049
San Angelo, TX 76909-1049
Phone: (325) 942-2122
Fax: (325) 942-273
Alumni@angelo.edu

and we are getting a new president
kind of a coincidence?
Hindman is going back to the history dept.
IDK what’s up with that but the timing smells to me

Please Get Involved

burnet44
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
HERE IS A LETTER I WROTE TO THE GROUP AND TO THE PRESIDENTS OFFICE

Hello,
My name is Pat Carrigan. I graduated from ASU in 1978 and 1991. Glen Jones (78) informed me of the situation at ASU and sent me a link to your page. I called the university and spoke to Mr. Preston? who is in charge of information in this area. He generally outlined some things to me but really could not elaborate a lot since this is pending before the state legislature? I left my name and number with him and he explained that he would pass my name, number, and concerns on to the Alumni Association.

I would like these questions answered before I put my support behind anyone in this matter.

1. Angelo State would still be called Angelo State not like TAMU has done with their satellite campuses like TAMUC and TAMUK
I WILL NOT SUPPORT IN ANY WAY TTUSA OR ANY OTHER ACRONYM FROM TECK YES I SPELLED IT THAT WAY FOR A PURPOSE.

2. I will not support anyone other than ASU getting hold of the Carr scholarship fund. That money is willed to ASU not TTU or any other school. As I read your page her I see cost rising from administration of the change from a weak to a strong central leadership. If I read that correctly. It appears to me this is just another way of our state government to gather money. It appears they have found some much like our legislature has found money in the teacher retirement fund and wants to get their grubby little hands on it.
I WILL NOT SUPPORT IN ANY WAY ANY MONEY GOING FROM ASU TO ANY OTHER PLACE.

3. My daughter has been accepted to attend ASU. She has sent in her Carr scholarship application. We are taking a trip to let her see the campus during our spring break. We are strongly considering sending her to ASU. I WILL SEND HER TO ABILENE CHRISTIAN OR ANOTHER SCHOOL BEFORE I WILL SEND HER TO A TEXAS TECH SATELLITE SCHOOL.
I WANT TO SEND HER TO ANGELO STATE. IF ANGELO STATE IS NOT ANGELO STATE I SEE NO NEED TO SEND HER THERE.
She can go to Tarleton and be a purple aggie. At least I would know what I am getting there.

Hopefully you can see my concerns in this situation. I love Angelo State. It is where I went for my Bachelors (78) and my Masters (91). If I did not love the school so much I would have attended another school to obtain my masters. There were schools closer to me during the years (1986-1991) that I attended ASU. I have supported the university in many ways since my graduation. I have encouraged my students to attend ASU, knowing the school and its programs and professors. I have worked many athletic events at ASU including the NCAA DII National Track and Field Championships as well as the Region I 4A UIL Regional Track Meet. I am in a position to aid ASU in the recruitment of students. I have taught for 30 years and have come in contact with many students over the years in many parts of the state. Many of the schools I have been in are not actively recruited by ASU because of distance. I feel that I am helping MY University by trying to get students to attend. I also have coached for 30 years and have recommended my athletes as well as athletes from other schools to attend MY University.

I have remained friends with many of the ASU faculty and staff, even ones who are not at ASU anymore. We talk about our days there and how much we enjoyed our times there and how much it means to us.
If the university changes all of us lose our identity at ASU. I have many friends who attended East Texas State, Texas A and I, and Southwest Texas State University. To a person they have lost much of their identity with their school. Many being alumni have stopped supporting the NEW school and have stopped giving funds because of this change.

I was also fortunate enough to meet my wife at ASU, Christie Ottesen ('79). I hope you can understand how important ASU is to me and my family.

Please contact me with answers to my concerns. I will support the group who supports the ideas I have outlined above.

Thank you for your time.

Pat Carrigan ASU ('78, '91)

Adidas410s
03-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Good letter...and you hit home on a lot of good points. My only question...why the hatred towards TTU?

jason
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by burnet44

She can go to Tarleton and be a purple aggie. At least I would know what I am getting there.

you would be surprised at how few students think of this school being part of the a&m system...

it is tarleton state university NOT texas a&m @ stephenville nor will it EVER be...

Gobbla2001
03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
YOU TELL 'EM....

Txbroadcaster
03-06-2007, 11:04 AM
The schools themselves come up with the name

The ONLY reason A&M-Commerce is that name is because so many people in the city griped that they wanted Commerce somewhere in the school name.

Me personally I would have rather it be East Texas A&M over what it is now

burnet44
03-06-2007, 11:38 AM
ttt

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
ttt

you just not going to answer the question presented to you?

burnet44
03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Good letter...and you hit home on a lot of good points. My only question...why the hatred towards TTU?

none to tech
I dont want my university taken over by anybody
A and M, TU, Houston who ever

Phil C
03-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Good luck! You will need it. There were those like myself and those with much more influence than myself that fought it when Texas A&I became TAMUK. It was a losing battle and yours will be too. And the administrators will insult you and be rude to you. I have seen it done and history will repeat itself. At least you are getting to be a part of UT.

Maroon87
03-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Good luck! You will need it. There were those like myself and those with much more influence than myself that fought it when Texas A&I became TAMUK. It was a losing battle and yours will be too. And the administrators will insult you and be rude to you. I have seen it done and history will repeat itself. At least you are getting to be a part of UT.

As an A&I alum I was furious over the name change. I'm still not 100% thrilled but I was plenty ticked for several years after it happened.

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

They aren't... They are going to join Texas Tech's University system

GreenMonster
03-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The schools themselves come up with the name

The ONLY reason A&M-Commerce is that name is because so many people in the city griped that they wanted Commerce somewhere in the school name.

Me personally I would have rather it be East Texas A&M over what it is now

Yeah! Why didn't they just leave it Easy T? Would have been so much easier.

burnet44
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
I will tell kids to go some where else
if the name is changed

RMAC
03-06-2007, 01:15 PM
none to tech
I dont want my university taken over by anybody
A and M, TU, Houston who ever

Angelo came to Tech, we didn't go looking for them. There was a write up in our school paper last week, and while I don't have any direct quotes, the gist from the Chancellor was that Angelo contacted Tech to become part of the TTU system and that Tech would in no way try to get them to do it. If they decided to then it would be fine, but the Tech administration hasn't done anything in persuit of Angelo.

jason
03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I will tell kids to go some where else
if the name is changed why dont you let them decide for themselves...maybe they like the school/campus and dont care what the name is...

its like kids now who go to texas state - it has no bearing on them that it used to be southwest texas state...

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-06-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm all for the switch.

burnet44
03-06-2007, 02:06 PM
why?

burnet44
03-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by jason
you would be surprised at how few students think of this school being part of the a&m system...

it is tarleton state university NOT texas a&m @ stephenville nor will it EVER be...

yeah purple aggotts
even I know that
and I didnt attend ethier

its not thought of on campus because PAU
has been an aggott school for a long time
many PA's transfer or try to transfer to TAMCS

thats why
PAU has been a part of TAMCS well before the takeover

jason
03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
yeah purple aggotts
even I know that
and I didnt attend ethier

what the hell is a purple aggott

its not thought of on campus because PAU
has been an aggott school for a long time
many PA's transfer or try to transfer to TAMCS

thats why
PAU has been a part of TAMCS well before the takeover

can you please translate that so it is actually coherent

burnet44
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Purple is Tarletons colors
an
Aggie is an Aggott

Aggies in College Station are moroon

so

If you go to Tarleton

you are a purple aggott

I am sure some one will fire back
this is the reason why I dont want ASU to be any part of TECK

Im sure ASU will be known as the Red Rams or something
or Black Sheep

Chopblock
03-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Watch the purple aggie cracks lol
I was at Tarleton when A&M took over
It was 1st thought that it would be TAMU@Tarleton Station

RMAC
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Purple is Tarletons colors
an
Aggie is an Aggott

Aggies in College Station are moroon

so

If you go to Tarleton

you are a purple aggott

I am sure some one will fire back
this is the reason why I dont want ASU to be any part of TECK

Im sure ASU will be known as the Red Rams or something
or Black Sheep

Again, Tech, spelled with a "ch", did nothing to bring about this change. They didn't say: "Hey, Angelo, you guys be part of us and we'll change your name." Listen to yourself. You're getting pissed because the school that you love might UNDER ITS OWN DISCRESSION change their name. Tech didn't try to get Angelo to join them, that was the doing of the folks down in the Concho. Thanks if you actually read this one.

burnet44
03-07-2007, 03:03 AM
it would appear to be eneviable

JJ7997
03-07-2007, 05:16 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

jason
03-07-2007, 08:54 AM
P
If you go to Tarleton

you are a purple aggott
no, if you go to tarleton, you are a tarleton texan...

for somebody who is a teacher, you sure are ignorant and jaundiced...

it seems like you are using your schools name change to bash every other school....IMO....

burnet44
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
I dont want mine changed
or taken over by another
it would seem this is gonna happen
no matter who is against it

I will not send my money or children there

many of you will bash me for my stance

a and m has taken over schools all over the state
tu has done the same

swt is texas state

I do not appoligize for my stance
it will not change

what if tu took over a and m
since the aggotts came from ut a long time ago
the aggies would scream

what if baylor was taken over by BYU
the baptist would be up in arms

it is happening to my university
I will not appologize for not being happy about it

I have too many friends from ET, A and I, and SWT who
aint happy about their schools name change
and change of instutional direction

just wait till it happens to your school
if it hasnt all ready

where did I put that TWU catalogue?

jason
03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I dont want mine changed
or taken over by another
it would seem this is gonna happen
no matter who is against it

thats all fine and dandy, i wouldnt want tarleton to be a&m @ stephenville...

but that doesnt give you the right to bash all the other schools in texas...