PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck Islanders

pirate44
03-06-2007, 07:51 AM
Wave of orange to strike S. Texas
Isles baseball team to host 'Horns today

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
March 6, 2007

Texas rarely leaves home to visit the little guys.

Smaller schools go to Austin to play the Longhorns. They don't often venture out to play at the little programs. It seemingly applies to every major sport.

Yet, at 4 today, the Texas baseball team will make the trek to Whataburger Field and face Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. A scheduling foul up and the desire to play in the new facility conspired to bring the Longhorns to Corpus Christi to meet the Islanders.

Rice has a recent national title, and seems to contend every season of late for No. 1. Texas A&M has passionate fans and a strong history.

But Texas has a broad alumni network, a fan base that extends across the country, six national titles and longtime prestige that pump a little more excitement into a mid-week meeting.

"It's a big deal around here, and a game we've had our eyes on," said Emerson Trager, who will be A&M-Corpus Christi's starter today. "You don't get a school like Texas to come down every year and play in your backyard."

It hardly happens in any team's backyard. Of state baseball programs that aren't in the Big 12 or former Southwest Conference members, only Texas-San Antonio can claim visits recently from the Longhorns.

Three times since 2000, Texas has made the quick trip - depending on traffic, of course - to UTSA.

Islanders coach Gene Salazar said, since his team was left off the Longhorns' schedule inadvertently last season, coach Augie Garrido suggested the rare road game. Salazar added that Garrido had been interested in coming down to play at Whataburger Field at a later date anyway.

With that, A&M-Corpus Christi landed a game against one of the elite programs in the nation, one ranked 12th in the latest Baseball America poll.

"It's a good opportunity," Islanders first baseman Jason Graham said. "Not only do we play one of the top teams in the nation, but they're coming here. That says a lot for our program that they want to come here. They must have a lot of respect for us to come here, and we obviously have a lot for them."

A&M-Corpus Christi and its fans aren't the only ones with the sense of anticipation. The Texas Exes of Corpus Christi planned a series of events around the game, starting last week and rolling into game time.

The event even has something of an air of celebrity gossip around it.

"They're making it a big deal for themselves as well," Islanders catcher Josh Plumaj said. "We want to be good hosts and have them come back.

"I even heard a rumor that (mascot) Bevo is going to be in town."

According to the Texas Exes' Web site, Bevo will make an appearance at a pregame tailgate party, but the real question is whether A&M-Corpus Christi will make a showing. The Islanders, who were on the Texas schedule every season from 2001 through 2005, have had some memorable confrontations with the Longhorns.

In eight meetings, Texas has won seven. Two Longhorns victories were by one run, another by three. When A&M-Corpus Christi knocked off Texas in 2003, the Longhorns were No. 1. The last time the teams met, Texas won 2-1 two years ago.

And, of course, all meetings were in Austin.

"It's a pride thing," Graham said. "They're close to us. They probably don't look at us as a rival, but we take it as a challenge. We don't want anyone coming into our place and beating us. We don't want anyone beating us anywhere.

"You can't let what's on the jersey intimidate you."

Nor should the atmosphere be intimidating. After seeing all the burnt orange up in Austin, Trager is looking forward to swatches of blue and green today.

"When we go up there, it's nothing but burnt orange and a little more hostile," Trager said. "We can turn the tables. There's not doubt Texas has fans all across the nation, but we want to see a bit of blue and green."

ISLANDERS BASEBALL

The game: Texas (12-6) at A&M-Corpus Christi (12-5)

When: 4 p.m. today

Where: Whataburger Field

Radio: KSIX-AM 1230

Next: Friday, vs. Texas Tech (Whataburger Collegiate Classic)

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Woo Hoo....I am going to the game. I know P4S is going, anyone else?

piratebg
03-06-2007, 09:43 AM
I'll be there. :)

pirate44
03-06-2007, 09:47 AM
yall have fun

Gp83
03-06-2007, 09:49 AM
I'll be on the grass...but at least I'm there.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-06-2007, 01:08 PM
Will the ex Sinton pitchers pitch in this game, would be great if they get the opportunity to do so

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Will the ex Sinton pitchers pitch in this game, would be great if they get the opportunity to do so

I hope so...as a matter of fact, I will be disappointed if he doesn't.

District303aPastPlayer
03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I hope so...as a matter of fact, I will be disappointed if he doesn't.

there are 2 of them, one for each team

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
there are 2 of them, one for each team

What is the name of the Islanders pitcher?

piratebg
03-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
What is the name of the Islanders pitcher?

Omar Gutierrez

I think he graduated from Sinton in 03 or 04.

AP Panther Fan
03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Omar Gutierrez

Gotcha....hope I get to see both of them!:)

piratebg
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
According to the UT site, probable starter for UT is RHP Hunter Harris(1-0, 4.66 ERA) and for TAMU-CC it's LHP Emerson Trager(3-1. 3.38 ERA)

http://texassports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=18&url_article_id=6026&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2