PDA

View Full Version : Shin splints

garageoffice
03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Anybody have a miraculous cure for shin splints? My daughter is having trouble with them in one leg. She high jumps (jumps off of it) and runs hurdles (lands on it). So far, we've only been icing it and I got her a compression wrap that helps during competition. Any new cures?

Any ideas? Thanks!

pirate4state
03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
I feel for her. Mine are/were awful. Ice & Advil and stretch, stretch, stretch. :(

Cameron Crazy
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I feel for her. Mine are/were awful. Ice & Advil and stretch, stretch, stretch. :( She nailed it!:clap:

pirate4state
03-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Just thinking about having to put my legs in a bucket of ice makes me :weeping: :weeping: I'm a wussy girl. :D

garageoffice
03-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Just thinking about having to put my legs in a bucket of ice makes me :weeping: :weeping: I'm a wussy girl. :D

Yeah, she got lucky on Saturday, all the running events were first, and high jump came later. It didn't start really hurting until HJ was almost over.

IHStangFan
03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
build up the muscle around the front of the calves/shins. I had shin splints most of my life until joining the Army. I was given some exercises to build those muscles...never had a problem with shin splints again.

RMAC
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
I had these at the State Tournament my Freshman year. Take Advile and don't think about it. That's all I did. Stay positive and you won't be thinking about the pain.

Bull19
03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
COWBOY THE HELL UP

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-05-2007, 07:37 PM
If she is cute and 18 years old, I'll massage them out for her. :D

Seriously though, I've never had them, but she needs to stop running on the track when she doesn't have to and wear some different shoes. When she runs on hard surfaces it puts a lot of pressure on the muscles and ligaments in the ankle, and a lot of the time if she doesn't have the support she needs from her shoes then shin splints are a direct result from that. Hope they go away soon

Bull19
03-05-2007, 07:39 PM
PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Bullaholic
03-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
build up the muscle around the front of the calves/shins. I had shin splints most of my life until joining the Army. I was given some exercises to build those muscles...never had a problem with shin splints again.

Yes, I remember the name of those exercises well, IHStang---they were called:

Route Step

and

Double Time

JJ7997
03-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yes, I remember the name of those exercises well, IHStang---they were called:

Route Step

and

Double Time

Roger that !

Heyoverthere
03-05-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
Anybody have a miraculous cure for shin splints? My daughter is having trouble with them in one leg. She high jumps (jumps off of it) and runs hurdles (lands on it). So far, we've only been icing it and I got her a compression wrap that helps during competition. Any new cures?

Any ideas? Thanks!

got the best thing..just tell her to keep your heel down and tap the the front everynight and it willget rid of that skin problem!!!
iv been there with them

STANG RED
03-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice

Any ideas? Thanks!

I hate to tell you this, but rest is the only real cure. Problem is, the season is over by the time they heal.
Running on grass instead of a hard track may help some.
I had them bad my junior year in hs. They completely ruined my track season that year. Had no spring in my legs for high jumping, and couldnt get out of blocks worth a dang for the sprints.
When the season was finally over, they healed up in about 3 to 4 weeks after I quit running.
Good Luck!