PDA

View Full Version : wimberley or wimperley?

spaniard
10-21-2002, 12:17 AM
just how does wimberley look this year? they lost to lh, who is obviously a quality opponent this year, they have now lost to llano, who in my "professional" opinion is not a quality opponent. i know they lost several good players in this last graduating class, but i have never really seen a district championship team go from that caliber one yea, to where they are now. hopefully, for wimberley's sake, their program will rebound next year and improve their success.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-21-2002, 12:22 AM
From what I understand, Wimberly graduated nearly their whole team from last year's state quarterfinalst team. This year's Wimberly team is talented, but young and inexperienced. I wouldn't be surprised if they did well next season, though.

spaniard
10-21-2002, 12:28 AM
yeah, they have got the fan support that many towns in texas could only wish for. the years i was in high school i was always impressed by the support shown by the fans of the texans. i played a little baseball in high school and went to most all of the other events where burnet and wimberley were involved with each other and the fans from wimberley have always impressed me by the support they give their kids. so theyve got that going for them, all they need is the experience and time to develop their talent pool that theyve always had.

toby070
10-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Spaniard,

Wimberley was really wiped out by graduation. I'm notr sure about their line, but they have some very good skill people that are juniors, so they will likely be stronger next year. I think the big difference between this year and last year is how physical the team is. Slaughter, Meeks, Bertleson, Villaray, Leonard, and many other kids that were just unbelievebly aggressive hitters. Of course, as far as I know there are no Meeks' or Slaughter's on the JV waiting to come in. I think Wimberley will always compete, but don't expect they'll have a team like last year's bunch again for a while...that was just one of those classes that doesn't come around all the time, at least not in a town like Wimberley.

LH_PANTHER
10-21-2002, 05:42 PM
Wimberley is young and they are struggling with a new offense. They pretty much run the same offense that Liberty Hill runs. It is all based on misdirection and timing to hide the ball. Last year there were times that Liberty Hill struggled for yardage because of the new offense. Wimberely will get that timing down by next year. They will also have a lot back next year. I think the combination of a new offense and young players is what is hurting this team. I also noticed that they were slower than in years past. Burnet will blow right by them, second string will start the second half and third string will mop up at the end.

spaniard
10-21-2002, 05:51 PM
well from all the talk ive heard from players parents and others who dont really like wimberley from here in burnet, i get the impression that we are going to show no mercy. which is understandable i guess, since the wimberley fans, however much spirit they show the wimberley kids,show a lot of disrespect to opposing teams fans especially when its burnet coming to town. they never have like us, but i guess thats football for ya, and basketball, and baseball, and volleyball, and track...but anywhoo, if they had a swim team we would kill them in that too. well im rambling now. but ive heard rumors of people wanting the score to be run up to 80-0. you just have to understand the hard feelings between our two towns, almost like marble falls. i thought bandera was going to be our next marble falls for us, but i guess that it was all hype (not the game, but the rivalry). i guess we will see what happenes friday night in wimberley. hopefully we wont have officials from the austin chapter again. any teams who have had those officials understand what i am talking about. i think im done now...maybe. yep, finished.

jimmy43
10-21-2002, 07:46 PM
Wimberly in my opinion is not that bad but could use some work. should be 1-4 in district. The wimberly fans were real pricks too. They kicked one of ours coaches out of the press box because he was "cheering" for his team.

varsity54
10-21-2002, 08:24 PM
hey spaniard, i just want to reply to your little, " if they had a swim team, we would beat them in that too" comment. well first of all your lil' football team has beaten us once in the history of us playing and our volleyball team kills ya'lls every year. so think before you speak next time. and you might want to tell the team to wear longer cleats, since for some reason they slipped so bad last year, or maybe its just another excuse.

MKA
10-21-2002, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes: Varsity54 , I was reading on here a couple of weeks ago about the wimberly Liberty Hill game. You made a comment to LHPanther#45 that the Panthers would find out why they got no respect that Friday night. Well not to bring up any sad memories but you lost 22-8. No doubt your effort was there but yu might want to hold your tounge before you start talking trash again to Burnet players and fans. Just do it on the feild. It looks alot better than some post on the internet.

spaniard
10-21-2002, 09:55 PM
varsity54:
hey spaniard, i just want to reply to your little, " if they had a swim team, we would beat them in that too" comment. well first of all your lil' football team has beaten us once in the history of us playing and our volleyball team kills ya'lls every year. so think before you speak next time. and you might want to tell the team to wear longer cleats, since for some reason they slipped so bad last year, or maybe its just another excuse.hey, youre right, i just kinda threw the too in there for fun. but you know that if you guys did have a swim team we would whoop ya. hehe, you guys have had a good history in 25-3a since you guys came in there, im not denying that fact. and im pretty sure that our guys will have longer cleats this year, and i know for a fact the officials wont have any players from wimberley to ask about what call to make or where to put the ball. so this friday will be fun for us, slip n' slide on the turf. water only helps it out more. burnet by a lot.

super1
10-21-2002, 09:55 PM
spaniard:
hopefully we wont have officials from the austin chapter again. any teams who have had those officials understand what i am talking about. I've always found the Austin Chapter to have many fine officials in it. They have done a good job more times than not when my team has used them. Sounds like you are already looking for a ready made excuse.

toby070
10-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Spaniard,

Several Burnet fans have made comments about how the officials beat them, not Wimberley last year. Please refresh my memory, because I recall a very good game between two very good teams in which the best team (not by much, but yes, the best team IMHO) won. I must have watched a different game than you.

As for the Wimberley fans, I don't recall anything worse happening to y'all here than what we get there...yep, it's a serious rivalry in all sports, but I've never seen any out-of-line disrespect from either side.

HornetPride
10-22-2002, 09:58 AM
Liberty Hill, if you don't beat the holy terror out of Burnet when you play, we will hear this bullsh*t for weeks to come. Start preparing now, lift weights, run miles, kick butts and cram crow down their throats.

spaniard
10-22-2002, 06:10 PM
first of all, hornetpride, i really dont think anyone needs or wants to hear anymore of your negative comments about anything. i think you may have already proved yourself annoying. no offense of course. second, toby, maybe i am reacting to the calls by the officials as any team who feels cheated by calls we feel werent warranted or deserved bc they cost us some serious yardage or other things that may have affected the outcome of the game. i guess its my fault i felt that we were cheated out of some plays. but i know that most fans get a little overexcited when calls dont go their way. human nature i guess. and im not using officials as an excuse, i was simply stating that the officials from the austin chapter were not very good quality, im my opinion. and the deal with the fans, well, i was in the band in high school and as most of you know, the home band from burnet usually starts out on the oppositions side of the field to start the show, and while we were over there, there were several fans on that side that were harassing some of our band members about our band and about the football team. this was a couple of years ago though, and from what i have been told, it hasnt changed since then.

toby070
10-22-2002, 06:45 PM
Spaniard, I'm guessing what you heard was some over-zealous kids, at least I hope so. For the most part, the parents are pretty laid-back and pretty hospitible. I may be wrong, I always watched them from the sidelines so I might have missed a lot of that stuff.

spaniard
10-22-2002, 10:28 PM
im sure it probly was some local terdheads trying to get a rise out of the poor little "band-nerds." i dont know, i have always had a short temper when it comes to people picking on and messing with the band members. the band isnt so much different than that of another sport. the participants are well conditioned in their respective positions, and usually get the job done when needed to. the amount of practice may not be the same as a group like football or baseball, but its still an organizatoin that needs to be respected for the talent and abilities that are required to compete and excell at what they do. well my soapbox for that subject is breaking now, so ill get off of it. but anywhoo, yeah, im done for now. :D