PDA

View Full Version : The movie Miracle

Bull's-eye
02-09-2004, 12:04 PM
What a great movie! Kirk Russell was awesome as Herb Brooks. I'm old enough to remember watching the 1980 Olympics, but that didn't take away from the movie. Herb Brooks is the only reason USA won the gold medal. He was after gold from the start. The committee thought he was nuts. How could a bunch of college kids defeat the best hockey team, a team that beat the NHL all-stars 6-0. Herb didn't pick the best individual players, but the best team players. He said that you should play for the name on the front of your jersey and not the name on your back.

Phil C
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
It was a great accomplishment. I haven't seen the movie yet but plan to when I can. What Herb and the team did was a miracle. It would have been like taking a group of high school students in Russia and defeating the Pittsburgh Steelers who had won the Super Bowl that same year.

vet93
02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I remember watching that game when I was about 15 and it was the most thrilling sports moment I have ever watched. I wasn't even a hockey fan and didn't know much but I was cheering like a madman with tears in my eyes when we scored that goal to make it 4-3 and held them off the rest of the game.

crzyjournalist03
02-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I get goose bumps just thinking about the event...unfortunately, I wasn't born until five years after the fact, but as I grew into a huge sports fan, that game sits right atop my list of greatest feats ever.

Old Tiger
02-09-2004, 07:44 PM
I don't like hockey, so i doubt i will like this movie.

Bull's-eye
02-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Old Tiger:
I don't like hockey, so i doubt i will like this movie.Hockey is not one of my favorite sports either. This movie is not just about hockey. This is one of the biggest upsets of all time. The greatest coaching job by any coach. This was more than just a hockey game.

Phil C
02-10-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm not a hockey fan either but that game was so classical that even though I didn't see it live I have watched replays of it. In 1980 they still had to beat Sweden to cinch the gold the following Sunday and I did watch that one live that the USA won 4 to 2. Plus I enjoyed the Mighty Ducks movies and I look forward to seeing Miracle when I can.