PDA

View Full Version : Texans sign RB Ahman Green for $23m over four years

big daddy russ
03-05-2007, 01:08 PM
link (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2787825)

Is it just me, or are they sinking way too much money into an over-the-hill RB?

Gobbla2001
03-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
link (http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2787825)

Is it just me, or are they sinking way too much money into an over-the-hill RB?

I think it's a big gamble...

piratebg
03-05-2007, 01:18 PM
I think it's a little much too.

sicem74
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
wow im so mad

IHStangFan
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
this move is basically the Texans org. saying "we know we screwed up by not taking Bush last year"

bhtrainer
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
i like ahman green...is that bad?

IHStangFan
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by bhtrainer
i like ahman green...is that bad? not at all, I like him too, but I think he is a pretty big gamble....I wonder if hes got 4 years left in him.....

Gobbla2001
03-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by bhtrainer
i like ahman green...is that bad?

hell no... that's good, he's a great player, but he's up there in age, probably at the end of his prime or just past it... what's he got left?

I like batteries, they're awesome, but they run out of juice sooner or later...

bhtrainer
03-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
not at all, I like him too, but I think he is a pretty big gamble....I wonder if hes got 4 years left in him.....

yeah he is pretty old but he was a quality player for green bay...and yes he is old but i think he can do it...

piratebg
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Only time will tell. He was good in his prime, and can still produce, but I think the Texans need more of a long term solution at RB.

JasperDog94
03-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I like batteries, they're awesome, but they run out of juice sooner or later... lol:clap: :clap: :clap:

wedo
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I think its a good move b/c they still have Wali Lundy to change up a little bit. And that should save Green from a 30 carry game and he won't get so tired!

Macarthur
03-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
hell no... that's good, he's a great player, but he's up there in age, probably at the end of his prime or just past it... what's he got left?

I like batteries, they're awesome, but they run out of juice sooner or later...

He's not a great player anymore. I'm not sure he ever was "great", but no question he was highly productive in his prime. The problem is, he is 30 years old. 30+ year old RBs in the NFL, generally, are not very productive.

The Texans are amazing. They had Reggie Bush sitting in front of them last year and now they're sinking $20m in a RB on the wrong side of 30. Man, it must be horrible to be a Texan's fan.

themsu97
03-05-2007, 02:37 PM
1) better than what they have and is an upgrade

2) will help with the development of Chris Taylor

3) knows how to pick up blitz

if the Texans do not address the o line problems nothing matters...

Bush may be a great player but he did not do much until the end of the season on a team that was explosive offensively... Bush was outperformed by another rookie on that team as well... Colston who should have been rookie of the year... he had the biggest impact...

Macarthur
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Bush may be a great player but he did not do much until the end of the season on a team that was explosive offensively... Bush was outperformed by another rookie on that team as well... Colston who should have been rookie of the year... he had the biggest impact... [/B]

You keep going on and making justifications in your mind that it's okay we didn't take him...Meanwhile, the rest of the league things the Texans' front office is a joke.

wedo
03-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by themsu97

Bush may be a great player but he did not do much until the end of the season on a team that was explosive offensively... Bush was outperformed by another rookie on that team as well... Colston who should have been rookie of the year... he had the biggest impact...

But on the other side of that bush opened things up for other people, like on fake reverses and stuff. But i do agree that Colston had a bigger impact. And yes i think that the addition of Green will help the Texans a lot, if the o-line and QB play is a little more consistent!

crzyjournalist03
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
What's the deal with Domanick Williams (formerly Davis)?

He was a very good #1 back before he got hurt last year...I read an article on ESPN.com about a month ago talking about what a changed man he is and how he'll be at 100% next year.

I just don't see why the Texans spend money here when they could have used it on a #2 receiver (Antonio Bryant?)

big daddy russ
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What's the deal with Domanick Williams (formerly Davis)?

He was a very good #1 back before he got hurt last year...I read an article on ESPN.com about a month ago talking about what a changed man he is and how he'll be at 100% next year.

I just don't see why the Texans spend money here when they could have used it on a #2 receiver (Antonio Bryant?)
I honestly think Williams is a better RB than Green. And I don't think it's all that close, it's just that Williams seems to find himself on the DL every year.

The Texans' offensive line is getting better, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "decent" line just yet. IMO, that's their biggest area of need. Has been since day one. Their second-greatest need is in the secondary, particularly safety. A capable, healthy RB, number two WR, an athletic, 4-3 style DE, and an OLB should all be just below their needs in the secondary. They also have needs at QB and DT, but not pressing needs.

I really like Anthony Gonzales out of OSU, but he should be gone somewhere in the second round of the draft. I think the WR, RB, and OLB issues should be addressed in the middle rounds of the draft unless something great just falls into their laps.

Bull's-eye
03-05-2007, 03:51 PM
This will temporary help the Texans but probably hurt them in the long run. I would like the Texans to be patient and build for the future. Teams get in trouble thinking that they're a player or two from being a playoff team. Some people thought that the Texans should of never drafted David Carr, that was a very thin year for QB's and Houston could of waited a year for the likes of Carson Palmer. The Texans could of drafted Julius Peppers the first season and had a all-pro DE for many years.

Emerson1
03-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Dumb move. Ron Dayne started to get good towards the end of the season and Dominick will be back and healthy. Should of used the money on o line

Bull's-eye
03-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Heard on the radio that Dominick may not ever play again.

themsu97
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
The Texans are still a bad franchise no matter how you slice it... a 2nd and 3rd for Buchanon and I believe the same for Babin... Green is better than what they have and I feel they are preparing for what happens if Peterson is not there at 8, then hopefully they will take LaRon Laundry or trade down and get more picks... the Texans have holes...

some of you need to get over the fact that they did not draft Bush, who still did not perform for a team that was outstanding offensively until late in the season, ( who would have been killed if he were in a Texan uni) and Vince Young, eventhough he may be great, I still see Michael Vick... and now that Travis Henry is gone, and the league will better prepare for him, lets see what happens...
but to me, as long as the oline of the Texans remains to be less than average, let Carr continue to get beat up

Gobbla2001
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM

Bush, who still did not perform for a team that was outstanding offensively until late in the season

You have a QB that throws for over 4k yards... you have a great RB already, a great rookie receiver, another great wide receiver, a great offensive line, TE's getting open and catching the ball plus a damn good coach, Bush was just another piece of the puzzle in NO... he would have been a bigger star in Houston...

themsu97
03-07-2007, 11:36 AM
no, he would have been dead in Houston... beat up way too much...

g$$
03-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Basically a 2 year deal with guaranteed $$. Not a bad risk on Green...agreed on rest of points.

themsu97
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
I like the signing yesterday of jordan Black for the oline... he is good... the only knock on him was that Freeney made him look bad but he blocked Freeney one on one and I am not sure that there are too many guys who one on one with Freeney that Freeney would not make them look bad