PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Defense

Bullaholic
03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Which way should Dallas go in filling out their "D" roster?
Joey Porter is on the market at linebacker, so should the Cowboys throw a bunch of money at him? It would be exciting to see a linebacking trio of Brady James; Joey Porter; and move Roy Williams to LB. That would leave the Cowboys 2 safeties short. So, would there be enough money left under the cap to get 2 quality safeties?
Also, is Greg Ellis going to be available?

The possibilities for the Cowboys are exciting given the knowledge of Phillips in the 3-4. If they can make some good shuffles and make a couple of good acquisitions, plus find a pass rush somehow, the Cowboys "D" could be something special.

Adidas410s
03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
If they pick up Porter then they wouldn't move Williams up to OLB. With Phillips they'll still be in a 3-4 with Ware and Porter/Williams/Ellis on the outside. They still need another safety..

wedo
03-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If they pick up Porter then they wouldn't move Williams up to OLB. With Phillips they'll still be in a 3-4 with Ware and Porter/Williams/Ellis on the outside. They still need another safety..

They also have Bobby Carpenter who didn't play much early in the season but did start coming around late. and also hada big game against the Seahawks in the playoff game!

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
the Cowboys should have a plethora of LB'ers to choose from especially if they sign porter

coach
03-05-2007, 11:46 AM
plus u cant just move roy williams to lb just like that its alot harder than u think....plus i still think they need two safties aneways bc roy williams is overrated and couldnt cover lenord davis if he went out on a route

Macarthur
03-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I would love to have him. However, I am more concerned about getting a long-term deal done with Romo. If we can get Columbo done and an extension with Romo, I think it will be a very succesfull offseason.

I do think there's a need at OLB. It's not a slam dunk that Ellis will come back from that injury. Also, I think Carpenter's natural position is at weakside LB. I think Burnett could be a poor man's Adalius Thomas, with Phillips' influence, but I would not be surprised if they addressed OLB with the first pick or two in the draft.

As for Safety, I think williams will be fine with a good safety paired with him. I think Nelson or Merriweather are an option in the draft, or Kevin Kaesviharn is an option in FA. He's a good centerfielder type, and he wouldn't break the bank.

Adidas410s
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by coach
plus u cant just move roy williams to lb just like that its alot harder than u think....plus i still think they need two safties aneways bc roy williams is overrated and couldnt cover lenord davis if he went out on a route

Greg Ellis moved to LB from DE pretty easily. I think Roy Williams is more than capable of making the transition. Plus...he's played with the LB mentality and style for a long time now...

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
there is a big difference going from DE to OLB then going from Safety to OLB. Ellis was basically doing the same thing but just standing up and asking him to cover the flats a lot!

Txbroadcaster
03-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
there is a big difference going from DE to OLB then going from Safety to OLB. Ellis was basically doing the same thing but just standing up and asking him to cover the flats a lot!

yep

People think you can just add weight to Williams and move him, but it is not that simple

First off He does not have a body frame that will allow him to add the weight needed. If he puts on 30 pounds it would SLOW him down and take away his quickness

On top of that 30 pounds would still not be enough because in the 3-4 defense he would be dealing with 300+ tackles and guards with no protection from the DL

SintonFan_inAustin
03-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
plus u cant just move roy williams to lb just like that its alot harder than u think....plus i still think they need two safties aneways bc roy williams is overrated and couldnt cover lenord davis if he went out on a route Roy Williams got beat almost everytime because he doesnt know how to play zone defense. He didnt get beat when it was his man he knew he was covering it was always on zone coverage he get over late and would be trailing the receiver. Hopefully they can show him how to play zone;) with this newe defensive coach minded head coach:nerd: