PDA

View Full Version : Video showing 2 year old and 5 year old given Pot to smoke...

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Teens arrested over video showing kids 2, 5 smoking pot

Watauga police say uncle, friend got small boys to use marijuana 'blunt'

11:15 PM CST on Sunday, March 4, 2007
By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
teiserer@dallasnews.com

On the home video, a teenage uncle and his friend laugh and giggle as they watch a toddler and his 5-year-old brother smoke a marijuana cigar at the Watauga home.

The disturbing video – seen across the nation in news reports – prompted police to arrest the two teens and Child Protective Services to place the two children in foster care.

"It is unbelievable," said Bruce Ure, public safety director for the Watauga Department of Public Safety. "You can hear one of them say, 'Let's get high.' And they're just encouraging them to keep puffing on it."

Police are still investigating and haven't ruled out charges against a third teen, a 16-year-old who was the cameraman, or the mother, who was in the house at the time.

Fort Worth police came across the video on Feb. 22 when they executed a search warrant at a home in the 6000 block of Hickoryhill Road in Watauga, Mr. Ure said.

Police said the two teens pictured in the video, Demetris McCoy, the boys' uncle, and Vanswan Polty, are suspects in several area burglaries.

When the officers returned to the Fort Worth station, they viewed the recording, Mr. Ure said.

"They were appalled," he said. "They looked at the inside of the house on the video, and they said, 'That's the house we just came from.' "

Fort Worth police then notified Watauga officials.

Mr. McCoy, 17, was arrested Feb. 23 and remained in the Tarrant County Jail on Sunday.

Mr. Polty, 18, was arrested Friday at a relative's home in Fort Worth and is in the Watauga City Jail.

Both men were being held in lieu of $150,000 bail and face two counts of injury to a child, a third-degree felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

The video was shot at a home that belongs to Mr. McCoy's grandmother, Mr. Ure said.

Mr. McCoy and Mr. Polty lived there, along with the children and their mother. The home is across the street from an elementary school.

The mother told police that she didn't know that her children had been given marijuana and that she was asleep in a back bedroom at the time of the recording.

Mr. Ure said that in the video, Mr. McCoy is sitting in an overstuffed living room chair.

He places a marijuana cigar, called a "blunt," into the 2-year-old's mouth and tries to light it with a lighter.

He then takes it back and lights it before returning it to the toddler's mouth, Mr. Ure said.

The toddler shares the marijuana cigar with the 5-year-old and holds the "blunt like a 20-year-old doper," Mr. Ure said.

"The 2-year-old is puffing away and obviously inhaling. He's coughing like he's got a smoker's cough," Mr. Ure said. "The 2-year-old is stumbling. He's giggling. He's falling down. He's debilitated. Our suspects are just laughing uncontrollably. They think this is the funniest thing they ever saw."

The camera then pans to Mr. Polty, who laughingly makes an obscene gesture, Mr. Ure said.

On the video, Mr. McCoy also calls the children "potheads" and jokes about them having the "munchies" when the children begin fighting over crackers. The 5-year-old, police said, hit the 2-year-old in the head to get the crackers.

"You would think out of sheer family values, McCoy would have stood up for his nephews and said, 'We shouldn't do this,' " Mr. Ure said.

Mr. Ure said investigators haven't interviewed the children but believe that they probably were given marijuana before.

"There's no telling how many times these kids have been subjected to this type of mistreatment," Mr. Ure said.

Marissa Gonzales, a Child Protective Services spokeswoman, said the children were removed from the home on Feb. 23.

"They seem to be doing fine," she said. "According to medical personnel, they probably won't suffer any long-term medical effects. We're looking to see if there are any appropriate family members" to care for the children. "But at this point, we haven't found any."

Ms. Gonzales said the mother told CPS officials that she didn't allow the teens to baby-sit her children.

"That doesn't explain why they were alone with them," she said. "Either way, we don't feel it's a safe place for them to live."

She said CPS officials knew of no other contact with the family.

Mr. Ure said Mr. Polty and Mr. McCoy haven't indicated why they gave the children marijuana.

"I don't think they cared about the consequences to the children," Mr. Ure said.

Mr. Ure said he's just relieved that Fort Worth police were quick to act.

"Can you imagine if we hadn't have caught them?" Mr. Ure said. "This would have gone on until they were stopped and by that time, irreversible damage would have been done to these children."

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
sorry if this has already been posted! If it had just ignore this one!

jason
03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
I heard an update on this yesterday, and 'officials' said that the way the kids arent coughing while they're smoking, says this isn't their first time to smoke...

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 08:49 AM
unbelievable....

piratebg
03-05-2007, 09:37 AM
I saw this in the news last night, and I haven't cussed like that in a long time. This kind of crap just pisses me off.

pirate4state
03-05-2007, 10:07 AM
:doh: WTH?? :doh: I guess people really are THIS stupid!! :dispntd: :dispntd:

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
and they just think its the funniest thing ever. Worthless pieces of trash!

Ray_BearKat
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
and they just think its the funniest thing ever. Worthless pieces of trash!

i concur...

BuffyMars
03-05-2007, 10:38 AM
I honestly don't know what to say to this or do I even know where to begin. I am literally speechless. :dispntd:

mustang04
03-05-2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VqXXGKego

usually i say "ENJOY" when i post a URL to a video....but this time i can't

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 10:47 AM
worthless garbage not worth the polluted air they are breathing.

BuffyMars
03-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-VqXXGKego

usually i say "ENJOY" when i post a URL to a video....but this time i can't

I honestly was expecting them to be white trash. I dunno why, but I did. :eek:

Keith7
03-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

with names like Demetris and Vanswan, that kinda hinted to me that they weren't white trash.. but no matter what race you are, this isn't right

kaorder1999
03-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
with names like Demetris and Vanswan, that kinda hinted to me that they weren't white trash.. but no matter what race you are, this isn't right

great point

Bullaholic
03-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Where is the grown, responsible man in this family? He should be there to yank those teenagers up and give them an attitude adjustment plus take all the MJ away from them---but the brunt of his ire should be directed towards the worthless mother who would allow such a thing to happen on her watch.

BuffyMars
03-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Keith7

Honestly, I never paid any attention to the names.

LH Panther Mom
03-05-2007, 07:40 PM
I saw the tailend of the story, but not the video until now. This both sickens and saddens me. :mad: :mad:

luvhoops34
03-05-2007, 09:31 PM
This is beyond dumb. Makes you wonder who raised the teenagers and why they don't even seem to care about their own family. B44, were these kids in some of your classes??? LOL

JJ7997
03-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

Your crazy.