PDA

View Full Version : Austin-San Antonio Corridor new $550 million Commuter Rail Line to become a reality!

Old Cardinal
12-29-2003, 09:30 PM
The Austin-San Antonio Corridor Council Awards an A & E Contract for a $550 Million Commuter Rail in Bexar County. The new route will be located off IH 35, mostly in Bexar County. Construction on the 110 mile rail line is set to begin in the spring of 2005, with completion in 2008...Maybe this is a bold move to allow those living in more rural areas to commute to high-paying jobs in the two large cites at each end of the route? We were just talking about innovative ways to intergrate the rural folks into the booming pay of the urban jobs...Will you folks along that general route like to comment on the economic impact this rail line might have on your county, town and school?

KTJ
12-29-2003, 09:40 PM
You got a link, OC?

Austin needs something. Man, the traffic in Dallas is better than Austin.

Old Cardinal
12-29-2003, 10:33 PM
I don't have a "link" as such; however, the info came out in Industrial Manufacturing Magazine--Monday Dec. 29, 2003....Also, IIR Industrial Alerts carried the detailed information, but its for subscribers only. The IIR Industrial Alerts carries some free information. It gives new construction projections for major and minor projects being built worldwide. It's a great tool for stock researchers and construction industry people-- to project the future.

TexDoc
12-30-2003, 01:17 PM
This is great news. I live in New Braunfels and will be working at the intersection of 360 and Mopac next year. The train should go right by there. It would be nice to ride a train a few days a week and relax a little.

CheerMom
12-30-2003, 01:21 PM
It would be nice to have something like that along I10 between Houston and San Antonio.

Old Cardinal
12-30-2003, 02:14 PM
To CheerMom: There was a proposition made to link Houston-SA-Austin in a triangular rail line-- but, as I understand it, the Airlines, some Oil companies opposed it and untimately killed the proposal. Maybe this SA-Austin link is a first step in forcing the 3-way commuter rail triangle....As I understand it their is an abandoned old railroad right-of-way that will be reactivated for the tracks between SA and Austin. Does anyone know that exact route or layout?...At one time it was sought as a hiking trail and nature trail.

j_dog
12-30-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, I hope it happens as you report OC. But if it has to be voted on by the people of San Antonio, don't hold your breath! :rolleyes: Their last attempt to vote in light rail in SA went DOWN to a great defeat. frown

Old Cardinal
12-31-2003, 05:28 PM
You know, a thought occurred that if the smaller towns, along the general route, are proactive and aggressively seek new industry with incentives etc:, it could be the reverse, folks might be riding from cities to work out in the more rural areas. A linkup of all major cities in Texas, with commuter rail, would be a great solidifing force for Texas' standard of living upgrades.