PDA

View Full Version : Raymondville Lady Kats Softball...

Ray_BearKat
03-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Congrats to the Lady Kats for making the Brownsville ISD Tournament...

They defeated...
Lady Kats 5 Los Fresnos(5A) 2
Lady Kats 3 Donna(5A) 2
Lady Kats 6 Harlingen South(5A) 4

Tourney Championship
Weslaco(5A) vs Raymondville

game is going on now i'll update as soon as i find out the outcome...

Ray_BearKat
03-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Raymondville beat Weslaco 3-2 for the championship. The Bearkats were down to their last bat trailing 2-0 and came thru w/ the win.

Congrats to my Lady Kats!!!!

pirate4state
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
That's awesome!! :clap: Congrats!!

Ray_BearKat
03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Kat Scratch Fever; Raymondville scores three in seventh to win BISD softball tourney

BY JARRET JOHNSON
March 3, 2007 - 11:30PM

Raymondville was down but not out. The Lady Bearkats had three outs left to win the Brownsville ISD Tournament. Apparently, that is when they are at their best.

Raymondville (10-4) trailed in its three previous games leading up to its championship matchup against Weslaco High (9-5) and had come away victorious.

Saturday was no different as the Lady Bearkats, who finished second in last year’s tournament, wres-tled the trophy away from the Lady Panthers in dramatic fashion by scoring three runs in the bottom of the seventh to win 3-2.

“All four games here we were down but we came back,” Raymondville coach Pedro Soria said. “I really think that the kids believe in themselves, they have confidence.”

Soria made the decision of the game by selecting pinch hitter Jamie Durbin to lead off the inning. She stepped up and started the rally with a blast to centerfield for a double. Two batters later she was driven in by tournament MVP Liz Alvarez on a single to get within one run.

All-Tournament performer Debbie Barnhart tied up the contest by singling to right field, driving in an-other base runner. The game was won on a sacrifice bunt when Durbin crossed homeplate, barely scor-ing as the ball reached the catcher’s mitt.

“We had never won a tournament before,” Durbin said. “Last year we lost in the (BISD) championship. This year we gave it all we had.”

Monica Torres and April Huerta also earned All-Tournament honors for Raymondville. Irma Diaz, Alex Guerrero, and Kristy Leal received All-Tournament selections for the Lady Panthers.

Ray_BearKat
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Keep on rollin’, Lady Kats haven’t missed a beat under Soria

By ARMANDO GARZA
March 11, 2007 - 10:42PM

Gabe Hernandez/Valley Morning Star
Raymondville’s first-year head softball coach Pedro Soria has the Lady Kats off and running again. RAYMONDVILLE —Like any good coach, Raymondville skipper Pedro Soria credits his players for the Lady Bearkats’ softball success.
And rightfully so.

Raymondville, ranked fifth by the Valley Morning Star, currently sits at 12-4 on the year with district play coming up. And they also sport the BISD Fastpitch Tourney championship trophy, which they won two weekends ago.
But Soria, a Raymondville native in his first year as head coach, definitely merits some commendation for being the steady hand. Under Soria, the Lady Kats have not changed their winning ways.
“I was excited when I got the job, because I knew the talent we had coming back,” said Soria, a Raymondville softball assistant the past three years. “We had a good core.”

Who says you can’t go home?
Soria, a 1988 Raymondville graduate, began his coaching career as a boys’ assistant at Lyford. He eventually made it back to his alma mater and coached other sports including football and basketball.
But watching his younger sister play for the Lady Kats on the diamond got him into the sport. And once he became involved with the program under former coach Jose Ramos, his style mirrored that of Ramos, and Soria has been a mainstay ever since.

In his first stint as head coach, Soria said being from Raymondville definitely has its perks, but it also brings something more.
“It’s a good program,” he said. “But being that you’re a local boy, you’re expected to do a little bit more. The pressure is there because people know you. It’s a little more difficult, I think.”
Great expectations
One might assume that a Class 3A softball position comes without pressure or great expectations.

Not in Raymondville.
During this decade, the Lady Kats have made playoff appearances almost regularly. Year in and year out, local residents and fans expect the Lady Kats to be among the area’s elite.

Side note: Since 2001 Raymondville has won the district title and only shared it once last year with Lyford their only district loss in over 4 years. Our new coach is expected to break the 2nd round playoff curse aka the "Devine" curse....:)

SintonFan
03-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Nice job Lady Bearcats!:clap:
It looks like your team is gonna be one to watch for in the playoffs. :cool: :)

Fal44
03-12-2007, 08:39 PM
wow cant wait to see these girls play when they come to town...

Ray_BearKat
03-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
wow cant wait to see these girls play when they come to town...

How are yall doing Fal? Yall play Zapata this week am I right?

pirate4state
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Where did Joe Ramos go?

Ray_BearKat
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
if I remember correctly he went to San Benito...but I'm not 100%

Ray_BearKat
03-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Valley Morning Star Top Ten:

1.) La Joya 5A(17-4)

2.) San Benito 5A(17-5)

3.) PSJA North 5A(12-5)

4.) Raymondville 3A(11-4)

5.) Mercedes 4A(14-4)

6.) Weslaco 5A(13-5)

7.) Sharyland 5A(14-7)

8.) Lyford 3A(10-4)

9.) Edcouch-Elsa 4A(13-7)

10.)Har.South 5A(10-9)

In 31-3A, a dandy of a contest will be played in Raymondville as the fourth-ranked Lady Kats host Falfurrias to open up district play.
Both teams are coming in sporting good records. Raymondville (11-4) and Fal (11-7) lead the league in wins and both, along with Lyford and Zapata, should figure into the playoff chase. Game time is set for 3 p.m. at Lady Kat Field.

Phil C
03-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the updates Ray! Your girls are doing great.

Ray_BearKat
03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Raymondville cruises against Falfurrias, 13-3 in 5
By ARMANDO GARZA
March 17, 2007 - 4:52AM

RAYMONDVILLE — Some softball teams use slow starts as a springboard to bigger things. In the District 31-3A opener Friday, the Raymondville Lady Bearkats were one of those teams. Down 2-0 early and later knotted at three, the Lady Kats stormed for eight runs in the final two frames as they raced past Falfurrias 13-3 in five innings.

The win ups Raymondville’s record to 1-0 in district and 12-4 overall. The Lady Kats pounded out 13 hits to get to Fal starter Teri Hernandez. “That was a big deal after we started off slow,” Raymondville coach Pedro Soria said of the outburst. “And it’s always good to start off district with a win.”

Early on, Falfurrias (0-2, 11-9) looked like they meant business. The Belles’ Ayssa Cabrera reached on an error and advanced on a wild pitch by Raymondville starter Darlene Hernandez. Then Stephanie Benavidez walked and Jena M. Lopez slammed a double to left-center to score the two and give the Belles a 2-0 lead.

But the Lady Kats’ Hernandez settled down and found a groove, one she never got out of. She scattered three hits to go with eight strikeouts on the afternoon. “She’s always real calm and she takes care of business,” Soria said of his starter. “Once she calmed down, everything was rolling her way.” In the hole 2-1, Raymondville, ranked fourth by the VMS, responded in the home half of the second.

Jamie Durbin (2-for-3, run) led off with a single, advanced to third on a steal and wild pitch, respectively, and scored on an infield grounder to tie the game. Then Liz Alvarez (2-for-3, two runs) laid down a bunt single and eventually came home on Jennifer Reta’s RBI single to give Raymondville the 3-2 lead. Fal tied it in the third when Kassandra Alegria’s leadoff double turned into a run on a throwing error. But that was all the Belles would muster and the Lady Kats got the bats going and took over.

Raymondville’s Ashley Alfaro (2-for-4) led off the third with a single and promptly stole second. Then Jessica Munguia (2-for-3, run) singled to drive home Alfaro as the Lady Kats regained the lead. Hernandez reached on an error, enabling Mungia to score.
In the fourth, and already up 6-3, Deborah Barnhart singled and scored on an error for a 7-3 advantage and the rout was on.
With Hernandez cruising on the mound, Raymondville delivered the knockout punch in the fifth.

Up 9-3, Alvarez led off the inning with a single and two throwing errors brought her home for a 10-3 lead. Then Nora Torres and Adriana Barron reached on consecutive errors. Barnhart came up and launched a two run double to make it 12-3, And Alfaro’s single scored Barnhart to end it.
Raymondville has a quick turnaround as they trek to San Diego this afternoon to continue district play.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/pictures/1174125167-sports2.jpg
Raymondville’s Jessica Mungia looks the ball into her glove as Kassandra Alegria of Falfurrias dives back into second base during third-inning action of their game Friday afternoon at Lady Kats Field. Raymondville won the game 13-3.

In other 31-3A news Lyford cruises pasted San Diego as well 15-0 in 4 innings. Looks like the race is on between Raymondville Lyford and Zapata....

Ray_BearKat
03-18-2007, 01:25 PM
Yesterdays game:

Raymondville 6 San Diego 0

Ray_BearKat
03-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Raymondville 5 - Zapata 4

Hard fought game, tied 3 - 3 in the 6th...my cousin popped it out to the fence to score 2 runs and give Raymondville the edge in this one.

pirate4state
03-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
Raymondville 5 - Zapata 4

Hard fought game, tied 3 - 3 in the 6th...my cousin popped it out to the fence to score 2 runs and give Raymondville the edge in this one.

:clap: :clap: COOL BEANS!!! :)

Could you update us with your district standings??

Ray_BearKat
03-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Sure thing...tomorrow the local paper prints them I'll post it when i get it. I know right now that:

Raymondville (3-0) (14-4)
Zapata (1-1) (10-10)

We haven't played our district rival Lyford yet...

Ray_BearKat
03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Valley Morning Star Top 10 as of today:

1.) 5A San Benito (20-5)
2.) 5A La Joya (18-4)
3.) 3A Raymondville (14-4)
4.) 4A Mercedes (16-4)
5.) 5A PSJA North (12-6)
6.) 5A Sharyland (15-8)
7.) 5A Weslaco (14-6)
8.) 3A Lyford (13-4)
9.) 5A Har.South (12-9)