PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Chapel Hill!

JR2004
03-03-2007, 06:40 PM
You've spared several thousand people from having to watch Princeton play another game this season! I sure hope the brackets shake out to where CH and H-J don't have to play until the finals.

SintonFan_inAustin
03-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You've spared several thousand people from having to watch Princeton play another game this season! I sure hope the brackets shake out to where CH and H-J don't have to play until the finals. they both could be out in first round ;) if they go up against region 1 and 4 :crazy1:

JR2004
03-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
they both could be out in first round ;) if they go up against region 1 and 4 :crazy1:

It can happen! Region I at least has shown an ability to make it to the finals. Whoever gets AP though gets a bye to the finals. If I was a fan of the other 3 schools I'd be hoping to see them in the semis. :)

Bull Butter
03-03-2007, 06:48 PM
It can happen! Region I at least has shown an ability to make it to the finals. Whoever gets AP though gets a bye to the finals. If I was a fan of the other 3 schools I'd be hoping to see them in the semis. :)
Yeah, I'm sure that's what Hondo & Gonzales thought this weekend too:doh:

Matthew328
03-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey Region 1 won a title in 2003!!!!!! LOL

JR2004
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Hey Region 1 won a title in 2003!!!!!! LOL

I never did consider Everman a Region I school (due to the proximity to the Metroplex and the quality of the athletes they have) and never will. :)

Matthew328
03-03-2007, 07:03 PM
LOL....dont discount Abilene Wylie...they were always a tough out...

burnet44
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Im sure Lytle
expected to win it

mwynn05
03-04-2007, 12:13 AM
You've spared several thousand people from having to watch Princeton play another game this season! I sure hope the brackets shake out to where CH and H-J don't have to play until the finals. not everyone feels the way you do about that style of ball in fact some feel it is more true basketball

JR2004
03-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
not everyone feels the way you do about that style of ball in fact some feel it is more true basketball

People who grew up on up-tempo basketball and haven't been brain-washed to accept a mediocre form of basketball feel that way. :)

turbostud
03-04-2007, 11:18 AM
What type of game does Princeton play?

Maroon87
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Yeah, I'm sure that's what Hondo & Gonzales thought this weekend too:doh:

No doubt...they're getting hot at the right time.

mwynn05
03-04-2007, 11:32 PM
People who grew up on up-tempo basketball and haven't been brain-washed to accept a mediocre form of basketball feel that way. :) that's about a stupid statement

burnet44
03-04-2007, 11:44 PM
kind of like fundamentals

nobody has them any more

shoot 3's
no defense
cant shoot ft's
miss layups

another reason I dont watch b ball

PlayaJBiehl20
03-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by burnet44

nobody has them any more

shoot 3's
no defense
cant shoot ft's
miss layups

Ummm thats kind of a ridiculous statement,, just because not everyone has fundamentals doesn't mean nobody does,, and just because you play fast paced game doesn't mean that there is no fundamentals and just because u slow it down doesn't mean u play a mediocre style of basketball.. it would be stupid for a team ull of white guys to try to run with a team that is used to running as well as a team full of athletes wouldn't make sense to try and slow the game down,, you have to adjust to your teams,, and regardless of whether you run or slow it down, you do what u have to do to win the game

PlayaJBiehl20
03-05-2007, 01:02 AM

nobody has them any more

shoot 3's
no defense
cant shoot ft's
miss layups

maybe u should watch more basketball cause u don't know jack about it,, or your just plain ignorant about basketball,,cause thre are plenty of teams that make fts, make layups,, plays defense and can shoot more than just the three

JR2004
03-05-2007, 01:11 AM
that's about a stupid statement

I'm sorry that you accept a mediocre form of basketball.

JR2004
03-05-2007, 01:11 AM

nobody has them any more

shoot 3's
no defense
cant shoot ft's
miss layups

lol...Why am I not surprised...

mwynn05
03-05-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm sorry that you accept a mediocre form of basketball. im not saying i agree or disagree your almost going ot teh point of saying you would rather lose playing up and down than win slowing it down....and if it is so mediocre why has kingwood been to state the last 3 or 4 years...

big daddy russ
03-05-2007, 01:23 AM
People who grew up on up-tempo basketball and haven't been brain-washed to accept a mediocre form of basketball feel that way. :)
It all depends on what you have to work with. When your tallest kid is 5'11," there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing an up-tempo game. That's how Port Aransas does so well in hoops year-in, year-out.

You do what's necessary to make your team successful. You think DeSoto really wanted to slow it down against CC Ray in the 5A title game a few years back? DeSoto's tallest player was (if I remember correctly) 6'4." Ray had two Division I kids 6'6" and 6'9." DeSoto had strength in its guards, controlled the tempo of the game, and ran away with it.

JR2004
03-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It all depends on what you have to work with. When your tallest kid is 5'11," there's absolutely nothing wrong with playing an up-tempo game. That's how Port Aransas does so well in hoops year-in, year-out.

You do what's necessary to make your team successful. You think DeSoto really wanted to slow it down against CC Ray in the 5A title game a few years back? DeSoto's tallest player was (if I remember correctly) 6'4." Ray had two Division I kids 6'6" and 6'9." DeSoto had strength in its guards, controlled the tempo of the game, and ran away with it.

Desoto can play either style of ball. They mainly play a slowdown style of ball and will do it no matter if their opponent has guys that are 6'9" or 5'9". I don't like that the mostly play a slow down game, but it's what they do.

Once upon a time more coaches played up tempo basketball. HOWEVER, a rash of control freaks now permeate basketball at every level from the NBA on down to the high schools. I can only hope more coaches who play end to end basketball start winning more so their assistants will be getting head coaching jobs.

JR2004
03-05-2007, 01:41 AM
im not saying i agree or disagree your almost going ot teh point of saying you would rather lose playing up and down than win slowing it down....and if it is so mediocre why has kingwood been to state the last 3 or 4 years...

Well let's see...I'd say it has to do with having a guy like Nic Wise and that Singletary kid more than anything. I don't like the style they play. They could play uptempo ball with the kids they have, but their coach is one of those control freaks who won't turn his kids loose to run and play basketball the way it was meant to be played.

mwynn05
03-05-2007, 02:15 AM
Well let's see...I'd say it has to do with having a guy like Nic Wise and that Singletary kid more than anything. I don't like the style they play. They could play uptempo ball with the kids they have, but their coach is one of those control freaks who won't turn his kids loose to run and play basketball the way it was meant to be played. he must be doing something right hes coached more teams to austin than anyone on this board

big daddy russ
03-05-2007, 02:53 AM
Desoto can play either style of ball. They mainly play a slowdown style of ball and will do it no matter if their opponent has guys that are 6'9" or 5'9". I don't like that the mostly play a slow down game, but it's what they do.

Once upon a time more coaches played up tempo basketball. HOWEVER, a rash of control freaks now permeate basketball at every level from the NBA on down to the high schools. I can only hope more coaches who play end to end basketball start winning more so their assistants will be getting head coaching jobs.
The game didn't start out freewheeling. The averaged combined score at early professional games was 30 betwen both teams. But basketball's evolved over the years, and just as Harlem Globetrotters revolutionized early hoops, others came along and the game evolved even more. The 'Trotters came along in the 20's and showed people that it was alright to get out there and run. They'd just outscore and dominated everyone they came across.

In the 20 years following the Globetrotters' founding (founded in '26), the NBA and most HS programs started getting their feet on the ground. Harlem had revolutionized the game and pretty much everyone was following suit. Actually, the game we see today is a direct spin-off of what they did.

The NBA was founded in '46 to the same tune as the Globetrotters. Even the Minneapolis Lakers, with their superstar big man George Mikan, played a more uptempo game. Games back in the 40's, 50's, and 60's would combine for upwards of 250 points on a regular basis.

That rash of control freaks started with a guy named Red Auerbach. He realized that you could win a bunch of NBA titles if you kept the game under control and made the other team do what you want, but he didn't fully realize this until he got together with a 6'9" kid out of the University of San Francisco way back in 1956. That kid could play defense like nobody he'd ever seen and could dominate a game if you gave him a chance. So he made his team get back on defense and his point guards (Bob Cousy at first, then the Joneses... Sam and KC after Cousy retired) walk the ball up the court instead of forcing it.

Bill Russell won 11 championships in 13 years using that method. Nothing wrong with it back then. Nothing wrong with it now.

Of course, the game slowed down a bit in the 70's, but only for a few years. By the time Magic and Bird hit the scene, the game had again started an upswing in tempo. That era lasted until the late-80's, when teams like the Bad Boy Pistons, the Jordan-led Bulls, the Blazers, the Knicks, and the Houston Rockets started to dominate the hoops landscape. With tons of dominant posts and a guard (Jordan) who preferred to control the game, basketball slowed down quite a bit.

After Jordan retired in '98, it slowed down even more as the Spurs (with the Twin Towers), the Lakers (with Shaq), and, later on, the Pistons (reminiscent of the Bad Boys) found dominance in a slow, defensive-minded game.

Now we may be seeing an upswing again if the Suns can ever break through to the Finals, but it's an uphill battle. The Kings, Nets, and old Mavs failed before them, so history's not on their side.

But it's definitely not a mediocre form of basketball. Neither way is, it just depends on what suits your team. If I had a team consisting of a great runner and passer down in the low post, a PG who can get out and run, and some athletic G/F's, I'd be out there running, too. If I had a dominant, back-to-the-basket C and a PG who could manage a game, run a tight offense, and was quick enough and had good enough vision to penetrate and kick it out, I'd play a half-court game.

JR2004
03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Never liked Auerbach.