PDA

View Full Version : Boys Hoops-- who's the favorite?

big daddy russ
03-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Has anyone seen more than one of these teams play? Any idea of who's the best? We know Abilene Wylie, Hardin-Jefferson, and Aransas Pass are in it. Chapel Hill and Princeton play in a few minutes.

NateDawg39
03-03-2007, 05:00 PM
I really think Wylie has a good chance to take it this year... but I havent heard much about H-J or Aransas Pass.

JR2004
03-03-2007, 05:12 PM
You can just about eliminate two of the regions from contention right off the bat unless a miracle happens down in Austin this year.

big daddy russ
03-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You can just about eliminate two of the regions from contention right off the bat unless a miracle happens down in Austin this year.
Apparently, Abilene Wylie's the top-ranked team in the state (according to Rivals). Region IV's highest-ranked team was South San West Campus at 12th, but they were knocked by Hondo before the Regional tournament. The only other R-IV team in the top 20 was WO, at 13. AP definitely has an uphill battle, but they came back from being the third-place team in the district and upended WO and the rest of the Region. Good luck, boys.

JR2004
03-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Apparently, Abilene Wylie's the top-ranked team in the state (according to Rivals). Region IV's highest-ranked team was South San West Campus at 12th, but they were knocked by Hondo before the Regional tournament. The only other R-IV team in the top 20 was WO, at 13. AP definitely has an uphill battle, but they came back from being the third-place team in the district and upended WO and the rest of the Region. Good luck, boys.

Regions 1 and 4 are weak, extremely weak in basketball. The only game a region 4 team has won since 1996 when Sinton won the title was when they played a Region I school in Dimmitt. It will take a miracle for AP or Wylie to win a game down there. The last time I saw a true Region I team win a game was when Greenwood beat one of the worst-coached teams I've ever seen down in Austin. I guess Graham could be considered Region I as well since it's their region. I consider them more like a Region II school though since they usually play pretty good against the other regions and get their fair share of games against Region II schools each year and usually hold their own. If AP keeps their contest to single digits or is able to be close down the stretch I'd consider that a nice moral victory.

thewyliefan
03-03-2007, 06:34 PM
im going to have to say wylie is going to be better than you think

wos fan1
03-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Wylie Info? What is Wylie's record, ranking? etc

Gobbla2001
03-03-2007, 08:52 PM
nm

big daddy russ
03-03-2007, 09:47 PM
...The only game a region 4 team has won since 1996 when Sinton won the title was when they played a Region I school in Dimmitt....
Partially true. AP definitely has its back up against the wall, but West Oso's made the finals since then.

injuredinmelee
03-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Wylie Info? What is Wylie's record, ranking? etc

Wylie is 31-3 or 32-3. They really havent palyed anyone that great. The district race was a cake walk and they got beat handily by Kennedale in a warm up game before the playoffs started. These kids though flat out play and there are 8 or 9 different guys that can score. There wont be anyone as fast on the court as Wylie Guard Gary Edwards. HE can play. They hae a big kids 6-5 that is just a smart smart player. Hustles. Wylie will surprise some folks in Austin. Cant say they will win it all but they will be in every game.

When will they decide who will paly who or is it Region I vs. region II or is it seeded?

eagles_victory
03-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Partially true. AP definitely has its back up against the wall, but West Oso's made the finals since then. and Mexia gave them the butt kicking of the decade in that championship game

JR2004
03-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Partially true. AP definitely has its back up against the wall, but West Oso's made the finals since then.

Completely true...You misread what was written. I should've had a couple of commas thrown in that sentence. There's been only one game won by a region IV school SINCE Sinton won it in 96 and it came playing against Region I. West Oso beat the 2nd worst team I've ever seen make it to Austin (Dimmitt...Nothing will EVER top Lockney making it in 2A several years ago.) and they won that because the seeding had the two best teams (Mexia and Gainesville) playing each other in the other semi-final. I don't entirely agree with the UIL's seeding procedure, but oh well.

If AP winds up with H-J or Chapel Hill and wins it, it'd be like Angola beating the Dream Team in 92.

Matthew328
03-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Region 1 has by far a better chance of winning than Region IV....haven't been impressed with Region IV hoops as of late...

JR2004
03-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Region 1 has by far a better chance of winning than Region IV....haven't been impressed with Region IV hoops as of late...

Well going back and looking at how the seedings work(at least how they have in the past)...It should be Wylie that lucked out and gets AP. That would mean that HJ and Chapel Hill are going to play each other in the other semi-final. That's beyond ridiculous. Heck let HJ or Chapel Hill play in West Texas and they'd be rolling in undefeated. They really need to take a long look at how the seeding works. I think the strength of your overall schedule should be weighed instead of just doing it by record.

Region IV has produced really good teams in football, baseball and several other sports(and has several state champions and some near misses), but boys basketball has just been abysmal. I usually leave during halftime during the 3A game that has the region IV team in it because it's often been a complete mismatch.

20FAN07
03-04-2007, 10:34 AM
dont know much about three of the teams, but i could help you out on HJ. They are very talented all around the ball and have a pretty deep bench. They have a pretty good coach to that knows what it takes to get it down. HJ has one shooter by the name of donahoe (i think speeling is wrong) but when you see him makeing some pretty amazing shots you'll know who he is. But he is not the only one that makes be points. They have some pretty big boys down under too. But yah should be some great games!!

necks
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Im picking Chapel Hill

burnet44
03-04-2007, 01:43 PM
here are my picks
which means none of them will win

1A-1 Thorndale
1A-2 Laneville
2A Kountze
3A H-J
4A SOC
5A Duncanville hard to pick against Kingwood

so by picking these
NONE of them will win

Matthew328
03-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Hard to pick against Duncanville also...they are 37-0!! And the scary thing is they are very young..

g$$
03-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Well going back and looking at how the seedings work(at least how they have in the past)...It should be Wylie that lucked out and gets AP. That would mean that HJ and Chapel Hill are going to play each other in the other semi-final. That's beyond ridiculous. Heck let HJ or Chapel Hill play in West Texas and they'd be rolling in undefeated. They really need to take a long look at how the seeding works. I think the strength of your overall schedule should be weighed instead of just doing it by record.

Region IV has produced really good teams in football, baseball and several other sports(and has several state champions and some near misses), but boys basketball has just been abysmal. I usually leave during halftime during the 3A game that has the region IV team in it because it's often been a complete mismatch.

What you say, by & large, is true. But, Region 4 has not always been that weak. Sweeny bounced between Regions 3 & 4 while winning 3 state titles in 4 years in the '80s (& their girls' teams lost in 6 out of 9 state title games too). SA Cole with Shaq was awfully good too. Sinton had some good teams, etc.

No doubt though, Region 4 is usually weaker in basketball. Given years may yield a champion, but overall Dallas & Houston areas dominate in basketball (& West Texas is very good in girls' hoops). Seeding should be changed agreed.

Heyoverthere
03-04-2007, 07:58 PM
im going with wylie they are a smart and great team!!