PDA

View Full Version : Brooks back to Jasper??

Bulldog92
03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
According to smoaky.com, Jasper's making a run at bringing Thomas Brooks back as head coach. If he comes back, it better be to stay. The revolving door gets old...

JHS_c/o_06'
03-03-2007, 01:27 PM
i hope not, coach farrar deserves the job in my opinion.

Astrosdawg07
03-03-2007, 01:44 PM
**********.com

Smoaky.com and **********.com has learned John Tyler head football coach Thomas Brooks was in Jasper on Friday, and met with superintendent Chris Coleman.

According to multiple sources, Jasper ISD has increased their original financial package, along with perks to get Coach Brooks interested in returning to Jasper.

Brooks confirmed the meeting on Friday night, and said he would be spending the next few days thinking about his future, "Yes, they (Jasper officials) called me again, and invited me back down to talk." Brooks added, "You know, my family has a lot of history in that area, and it's a one school town, and it's something I really need to think about over the next few days."

Brooks was the head coach at Jasper in 2000 and 2001, before moving to Beaumont Ozen.

Brooks is 12-10 in two seasons at John Tyler, with two playoff teams.

When asked if there was a deadline, Brooks said, "no, I haven't been given any specific timeframe, but I need to think things through, and make a decision for everyone involved."

wos fan1
03-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Brooks is the man if he decides he wants it.

Bulldog92
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
i hope not, coach farrar deserves the job in my opinion.

Coleman apparently wants someone with prior head coaching experience, so Coach Farrar probably won't get the position. Was he there when Brooks was there before or did he come with Coach Lauve?

j_dog
03-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog92
Coleman apparently wants someone with prior head coaching experience, so Coach Farrar probably won't get the position. Was he there when Brooks was there before or did he come with Coach Lauve?
I think he came with Brooks from Waxahatchie.

Astrosdawg07
03-03-2007, 04:32 PM
You have to wonder is Brooks is to get the job, will Farrar leave?

JHS_c/o_06'
03-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
You have to wonder is Brooks is to get the job, will Farrar leave?

if that happens, all hope is lost for Jasper.

Jason1725
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't think it will be that dire if it happens, Jasper will move on. Coach Brooks is a good coach.

PappaBear
03-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Eric has been here for 7 years, Brooks was here for 2 and then jumped ship for more money, and left Ozen for the same reason,.I hope he will stay around if he is hired if not go with those who have been loyal.

Astrosdawg07
03-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by PappaBear
Eric has been here for 7 years, Brooks was here for 2 and then jumped ship for more money, and left Ozen for the same reason,.I hope he will stay around if he is hired if not go with those who have been loyal.

Who did he come here w/ and what year was he promoted to DC?

wos fan1
03-03-2007, 08:01 PM
If Coach Brooks takes the job Jasper just got alot better!!

Bulldog92
03-03-2007, 08:11 PM
So what should we really expect from Brooks if he does come back? What type of program did he run?

Bulldog_12
03-03-2007, 08:59 PM
So what should we really expect from Brooks if he does come back? What type of program did he run?

You will see a lot of what you see now. Brooks incorporated the shotgun offense that is used right now and ran a real clean program.

j_dog
03-03-2007, 10:30 PM
If this is for real, one has to wonder why Brooks is now interested in dropping all the way from 5a to 3a, when supposedly Jasper's dropping to 3a was a factor in his going to Ozen. And he left a "team of the century" to do it, now he definitely would not be coming back to that kind of talent. Or, maybe he would be. Maybe he knows something. :confused:

If he does come back, I wish him the best. I just hope he would be coming back to stay this time. Otherwise, I would prefer we go with an up and coming assistant.

Jason1725
03-03-2007, 10:44 PM
His history doesn't bode well for him staying long. He moves around a lot thats for sure. I think he was at Ozen the longest.

Bulldog92
03-03-2007, 10:46 PM
It's hard to argue with that, but I would think that Chris Coleman is offering something pretty lucrative by JISD standards to get Coach Brooks back. It would only make sense to do this if and only if Brooks is in Jasper for the long haul. Otherwise, Chris is taking a HUGE gamble that will fall back on him if it fails.

j_dog
03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
His history doesn't bode well for him staying long. He moves around a lot thats for sure. I think he was at Ozen the longest.
Actually, wasn't he at Waxahatchie maybe six years or so as HC, plus some time as an assistant??

Matthew328
03-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Not sure how long he was at Waxahachie but it was for a while...I know he was a part of their staff when they won the state title in 1992..one of the most underrated 4A teams of all time...

wos fan1
03-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
His history doesn't bode well for him staying long. He moves around a lot thats for sure. I think he was at Ozen the longest. He would stay this time!!!

Bulldog92
03-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
He would stay this time!!!

I would hope so. There's a lot to be said for continuity and both Coach Hooks (WOS) and Coach Barbay (Newton) should be commended for their loyalty to their communities over the years. Neither of those places are money trees by any stretch and I'm sure they've both had opportunities to move on. It's good to see that they haven't.

AggiesAreWe
03-04-2007, 07:13 AM
I would have to wonder why a head coach would leave a 5A for a 3A? Believe me, he will be taking a pay cut if he comes.

I like Brooks, great guy. Even though Jasper is our biggest rival, I would like to see them get a good coach. It was hard watching this year's Bulldog team, probably the worst I have seen in all my years. Even though I am a Silsbee Tiger, I do want the Dawgs to get back up off the ground, they don't belong there.

Astrosdawg07
03-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
I would have to wonder why a head coach would leave a 5A for a 3A? Believe me, he will be taking a pay cut if he comes.

I like Brooks, great guy. Even though Jasper is our biggest rival, I would like to see them get a good coach. It was hard watching this year's Bulldog team, probably the worst I have seen in all my years. Even though I am a Silsbee Tiger, I do want the Dawgs to get back up off the ground, they don't belong there.

Silsbee consider's Jasper it's biggest rival? I swear every team considers Jasper it's biggest rival, yet Jasper only considers Newton as its biggest rival.

j_dog
03-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
He would stay this time!!!
Why do you think he would stay this time? At this place? Has he learned something he didn't know before? Like, that the grass is not always greener somewhere else? Or has he run out of options?

I truly believe that had he stayed at Jasper, there would be a state championship trophy sitting in the case at Jasper. But, with a new coach learning the players and the other coaches, they lost a game they probably should not have in their first year in 3a.

If he and Jasper work out a new deal, I truly wish him the very best, for his sake and for the sake of the Jasper players. Frankly, however, I just do not have a good feeling about this. I hope that the future course of events prove my concerns unfounded.

j_dog
03-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Silsbee consider's Jasper it's biggest rival? I swear every team considers Jasper it's biggest rival, yet Jasper only considers Newton as its biggest rival.
Hey, I like playing Newton. But, look at the record. Jasper and Silsbee have played EVERY YEAR, since shortly after the creation of dirt. :) No knock at any other school team, but I would have to say that based solely on the length of the series that Silsbee is Jasper's biggest rivalry.

Bulldog92
03-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Why do you think he would stay this time? At this place? Has he learned something he didn't know before? Like, that the grass is not always greener somewhere else? Or has he run out of options?

I truly believe that had he stayed at Jasper, there would be a state championship trophy sitting in the case at Jasper. But, with a new coach learning the players and the other coaches, they lost a game they probably should not have in their first year in 3a.

If he and Jasper work out a new deal, I truly wish him the very best, for his sake and for the sake of the Jasper players. Frankly, however, I just do not have a good feeling about this. I hope that the future course of events prove my concerns unfounded.

Weren't you credited with the invention of dirt? Hiring Brooks again makes me a bit nervous, too, but the interesting thing is that he would likely be taking less to coach the Dogs again. Could he have finally realized how good he had it there? I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second and speculate that it might actually be for the love of the Dogs and not the money. How refreshing would that be?

j_dog
03-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Weren't you credited with the invention of dirt? Hiring Brooks again makes me a bit nervous, too, but the interesting thing is that he would likely be taking less to coach the Dogs again. Could he have finally realized how good he had it there? I'm gonna play devil's advocate for a second and speculate that it might actually be for the love of the Dogs and not the money. How refreshing would that be?
You make some good points. I suspect there is a lot of truth in what you suggest. Truly, there is so much more to life than just money and rank (and the stress that often goes with the pursuit of both). Maybe Coach Brooks has now learned that. If he indeeds returns to Jasper, I hope that is the case. We will just have to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what happens.

JasperDog94
03-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Honestly, unless you have some family ties or some sort of connection in Jasper, why would you leave a 5A school for a 3A school? I hope he's considering it for all the right reasons. I, for one, would support that choice. (for whatever it's worth);)

Hupernikomen
03-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Brooks gave two clues why he would consider coming back to Jasper

#1 He has family in the area.

#2 It is a one school community.
(No Tyler Lee to have to compete against.)

Bulldog92
03-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Check this out, you guys. Now I'd be shocked of he came back and I wonder who's in the running now besides Brooks and Farrar.

JT's BROOKS TO DECIDE ON JASPER JOB MONDAY
Wednesday, 28 February 2007
From Smoaky.com/**********.com

JT's Brooks, "I'd like to finish what I started."

John Tyler head football coach Thomas Brooks told me (Smoaky) on Sunday he'll meet with athletic director Danny Long at 8:30 on Monday morning and discuss the job offer he's received from Jasper I.S.D., and then call Jasper officials soon afterwards.

Coach Brooks said unless something changes overnight, he doesn't think he'll be leaving John Tyler High School..."I'd like to finish what I started." He then added, "I'll meet with Coach Long on Monday, and then call Mr. Coleman with my decision."

As KTBB Sports and Smoaky.com reported on Friday night, Coach Brooks was in Jasper on Friday, and met with school officials.

According to multiple sources, Jasper ISD increased their original financial package, along with perks to get Coach Brooks interested in returning to Jasper.

Brooks was the head coach at Jasper in 2000 and 2001, before moving to Beaumont Ozen.

Brooks is 12-10 in two seasons at John Tyler, with two playoff teams.

The John Tyler football staff will have a different look whether Brooks leaves or not, because defensive coordinator David Gibbs has accepted the same position at Texas A&M-Commerce University. And, two other assistants on staff are involved in other head coaching searches, including Keeath Magee a finalist at Houston Westside.