PDA

View Full Version : Homer Bailey at Reds Camp

cdlvj
03-02-2007, 08:42 AM
SARASOTA, Fla. -- Homer Bailey didn't know why the Reds picked him and right-hander Bronson Arroyo to start in their intrasquad game here Wednesday. Bailey did have some thoughts about his selection, though.
"I think they just went in alphabetical order -- Arroyo then me," he said. "That's what I thought it was."

Bailey's comments drew laughter. Not that Bailey wasn't right, for it well could have been how the decision was made. His name does follow Arroyo's on an alphabetical listing of players at Reds camp.

But surely the Reds wanted to see Bailey, whom Baseball America ranks as the top prospect in the organization, perform in front of fans at Ed Smith Stadium, and they did. He left them impressed.

"He's so smooth it just seems like half of the pitch gets on you a lot quicker than it looks," said Adam Dunn, one of four hitters Bailey faced in his one-inning outing.

The 20-year-old Bailey didn't make a big to-do of his performance. While he admitted he tried to impress people, he also wanted to work on some things. In his case, that meant working on his offspeed pitches.

Nobody questions the high-octane fastball Bailey possesses, because it's the pitch that had long drawn raves from scouts. But to get to the big leagues, he'll need more than one pitch to survive, which is why he's been working on his offspeed stuff.

He did just that in his outing Wednesday.

"I think all my offspeed pitches were either hit or strikes," Bailey said. "It's something I worked on in the offseason.

"But I wasn't quite locating like I wanted to. I left a few of 'em up."

He didn't leave any of 'em up to Dunn.

"He threw me a good changeup," he said of Bailey. "I know that's not his pitch; he's working on it."

It's that pitch that will decide how quickly he goes from prospect to a Major Leaguer. But like any pitcher in the early days of Spring Training, Bailey is trying to find his groove. He's working on mechanics and location. His strength is there, and so is his fastball.

"But that doesn't mean I have to go out there and try to throw 97 every pitch," he said.

And he didn't try to do that either, which perhaps explains why his outing was as uneventful as it was: four hitters, one walk, no runs.

Not a bad box score for a pitcher fresh from the Minor League ranks. His work in Major League camp showed people plenty, particularly Dunn.

"He looked good," Dunn said of Bailey. "I'm on the bandwagon."

Rabbit'93
03-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Great outing for Homer. Hope he makes "the show".

KL3
03-02-2007, 10:10 AM
I remember sitting behind home plate when Bellville played La Grange and just being amazed at him pumping mid 90's the whole game. Jess Buenger, who starts at Rice now, was the only one to get a hit off of him. A single and a double.

A question for you LG people. Was Homer always dominating when he was younger, like in little league? Or did he all of a sudden blow up when he got older?

halfnhalf
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
He was always dominant in little league, he was a main factor when the 12 yr. old all-stars from La Grange almost won the state tournament. Always threw the hardest, and could crush the ball.

Bellville22
03-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by KL3
I remember sitting behind home plate when Bellville played La Grange and just being amazed at him pumping mid 90's the whole game. Jess Buenger, who starts at Rice now, was the only one to get a hit off of him. A single and a double.

A question for you LG people. Was Homer always dominating when he was younger, like in little league? Or did he all of a sudden blow up when he got older?

I remember that game very well. He was on that night, as he usually is. As you know, 'KL3', Jess and Homer are good friends, he actually got to take a little batting practice off of him a few weeks ago. Homer's a good kid. I wish him a healthy, bright future in The Show.

Bull's-eye
03-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by KL3

I believe he had 17 K's out of the 21 batters he faced. I was also at that game and was sitting right behind the Red's scout. He would sneak me a peak of his radar gun, grinning from ear to ear.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by KL3

I didn't know Buenger ended up playing baseball...Played against him in football my sophomore year. Hmm...

Bull's-eye
03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I didn't know Buenger ended up playing baseball...Played against him in football my sophomore year. Hmm...

Looking forward to seeing Jess play for the Rice Owls. Last night, he had 2 hits including a HR over the right field fence. Best of luck to Homer and Jess!

jason
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by KL3

A question for you LG people. Was Homer always dominating when he was younger, like in little league? Or did he all of a sudden blow up when he got older? i remember him beating forney twice at the state tournament...

i also remember him walking around before the game in his uniform and cowboy boots...

lepfan
03-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by jason

i also remember him walking around before the game in his uniform and cowboy boots... That is a 'classic Homer' :)