PDA

View Full Version : Remember Texas Independence

pirate44
03-02-2007, 07:06 AM
http://www.caller2.com/2007/pics/ap/0302_0400_front.jpg

this was an article in this morning's Corpus Christi Caller Times. A small history of the significance of Nueces county during Texas independence

Remember Texas Independence
By Mike Baird Caller-Times
March 2, 2007

The Texas Declaration of Independence was signed this day in 1836.

While most people remember the Alamo and the final battle at San Jacinto, many don't realize much of the struggle was fought in Corpus Christi's own backyard.

The Texas Revolution was sparked Sept. 20, 1835, by Mexican Gen. Perfecto de Cos landing his army of 500 men, artillery and supplies at El Copano, an old Mexican port town on Copano Bay. Alarmed Texas authorities at San Felipe issued a call to arms.

Territorial control vacillated for nine months as Mexican troops tangled with Texas militiamen and mounted rangers throughout Goliad, Refugio, San Patricio, Agua Dulce and old El Copano.

In June 1836, Mexican Gen. Vicente Filisola, second in command under Gen. Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, retreated with troops after the San Jacinto battle, crossing the Nueces River at the Santa Margarita crossing - the same passage used in February 1835 by the Mexican army getting into Texas from Matamoros.

It was called the old Camino Real - the King's Highway - identified today in Nueces County as County Road 666.

While Santa Anna agreed to draw the Mexico boundary at the Rio Grande, the Mexican government viewed the Nueces River as the border.

Mexican authorities claimed the U.S. Army supported the Texas Revolution, which was denied. But U.S. soldiers stationed in the Sixth and Third Louisiana infantry were disguised as Texas militiamen, said local historian Bill Walraven, co-author with his wife Marjorie of "Magnificent Barbarians," a book about the Texas Revolution.

"One clue was the bayonets these soldiers used in the battle at San Jacinto, which most Texas militiamen didn't use," Walraven said. "We had a strong theory there was collusion between Andrew Jackson and Sam Houston, who always denied it."

Between the end of the Texas Revolution and Texas statehood in 1846, the area between the Nueces River and the Rio Grande was considered a no-man's land, called the Nueces Strip, and was patrolled by both the Texas militia and the Mexican cavalry.

pirate44
03-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Happy Independence Day Y'all

IHStangFan
03-02-2007, 10:39 AM
good article, thanks for sharing with us! :)

Phil C
03-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Sam Houston was also born on this day in 1797.

Phil C
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Also my good friend Jeff Cowley was born on this day in 1947. He was the son of Harold Cowley who played football for Texas A&M from 1939 to 1942 and was a WW2 Veteran. Jeff gave his life fighting for his country in Vietnam. A street in Freer is named for him.

big daddy russ
03-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Awesome article, P44. Learn something new everyday.

BuffyMars
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Darn Tootin'! :D

Txbroadcaster
03-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Sadly the PC world is making it harder and harder for us to recognize anything with Texas independance

smustangs
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
good article. I love me some good history information

Highschoolfan78
03-02-2007, 09:27 PM
great story... our society needs to know this type of information more than we do now.

JakefootballGOD
03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
ONLY THE BEST STATE EVER!!! I WILL NEVER LIVE ANYWEAR BUT TEXAS!!!! everyone else can kiss da cheeks

West22
03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
I have traveled a lot around the world and everyone knows about texas .