PDA

View Full Version : Michael Young gets extension from Rangers

crzyjournalist03
03-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Young agrees to five-year extension with Texas
Associated Press

DALLAS -- Shortstop Michael Young has agreed to a contract extension worth about $80 million over five seasons with the Texas Rangers.

"We accomplished a great deal over the past four days," Young said after spring training workouts Thursday in Surprise, Ariz. "This puts me here through the 2013 season and represents a great leap of faith on their part."

Young didn't discuss the finances of the deal, which is for 2009-13. The $80 million figure was disclosed by a person familiar with the negotiations and who spoke on condition of anonymity because no announcement had been made.

The Rangers were expected to announce the deal Friday, when they play their spring training opener in Surprise.

"There is a strong possibility of that," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Thursday. "That's all I can say at this point."

Young is a bargain for the Rangers at about $3.5 million this season, the last of a $10 million, four-year contract for the three-time All-Star. The Rangers will pick up a team option for $5 million next season before the extension begins.

By agreeing to an extension, Young will bypass a chance for free agency in 2008.

"I'm sure it's great to see what's out there," Young said. "I did not want to go somewhere else and then see that Texas is in the World Series. We have a great core here and we're all committed. I want to be here and help promote a winner."

The current deal was signed in 2004, the same spring Young switched from second base to shortstop after AL MVP Alex Rodriguez was traded to the New York Yankees. Young has been an All-Star every season since moving back to the position he played in the minor leagues.

Young's extension will be the second-largest contract in Rangers history. The biggest was the $252 million, 10-year deal Rodriguez got in December 2000.

Rangers owner Tom Hicks deferred comment until Friday, but said last week during a visit to spring training that he was "pretty optimistic" about getting a deal done.

"Michael's the kind of guy that I think should be the face of this franchise," Hicks said last week. "He has been and he should be."

Hicks was previously scheduled to be back in Surprise on Friday for the spring opener.

Young has four straight 200-hit seasons, and his 858 hits in that span are second to Ichiro Suzuki's 904. Young hit .373 (166-for-445) with runners in scoring position during that stretch, a mark bettered only by Barry Bonds (.394, 63-for-160).

"You're talking about one of the premier players in the game," Rangers rookie manager Ron Washington said. "If we get this done in the next 24-48 hours, I'm very relaxed."

A .300 career hitter, Young was the AL batting champion in 2005 at .331, and was the All-Star game MVP last summer. Young hit .314 with 52 doubles, 14 homers and 103 RBIs last season.

If Young stays in Texas the length of the extension, he will be 36 at the end of the 2013 regular season. He played a full 162-game season for the first time in 2006, but took only 13 games off the four seasons before that.

"I have been durable for the past years, and I think they recognized that," Young said. "There's no doubt I can be healthy and productive over the course of the contract."

The Rangers last made the playoffs in 1999. They have had only one winning season since and haven't finished above third place in the AL West, but this winter hired Washington, the longtime Oakland assistant, to replace Buck Showalter.

"This team is ready to start winning," Young said.

Texas acquired Young from Toronto midway through the 2000 season, when he was a minor league second baseman and the second player the Rangers got behind pitcher Darwin Cubillan when they traded right-hander Esteban Loaiza.

Young made his major league debut by playing in two games for the Rangers at the end of 2000. He has been a regular in the lineup since he was recalled in late May 2001 and started 104 games at second base.

Adidas410s
03-01-2007, 05:42 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

coach
03-01-2007, 07:25 PM
so long mark texiera

JR2004
03-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Overpaid for him. He wouldn't have gotten that on the open market. I kinda wish he would've gone to free agency in 2008 just to watch Hicks bid against himself again like he did with Arod.

Keith7
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Overpaid for him. He wouldn't have gotten that on the open market. I kinda wish he would've gone to free agency in 2008 just to watch Hicks bid against himself again like he did with Arod.

If Gil Meche and Gary Matthews Jr. can both get 10 million a year, then this deal looks great for the rangers.. on the open market Young could have gotten upwards to 18 million a year.. the amount of money these players are commanding are rediculous..

JR2004
03-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
If Gil Meche and Gary Matthews Jr. can both get 10 million a year, then this deal looks great for the rangers.. on the open market Young could have gotten upwards to 18 million a year.. the amount of money these players are commanding are rediculous..

Meche and Matthews...Two complete wastes of money. Gil Meche shouldn't be pitching in the Mexican League. Well actually some teams in that league could probably beat the guys he is with now!

Txbroadcaster
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Meche and Matthews...Two complete wastes of money. Gil Meche shouldn't be pitching in the Mexican League. Well actually some teams in that league could probably beat the guys he is with now!

Your right..but the point is it is a player market right now and the owners are paying up. Young could have almost set his price close to the 90-95 mil range if he wanted

c-town_balla
03-01-2007, 10:40 PM
great deal....i my opinion top 5 player in baseball right now.....any price short of a arod deal is worth it for young

JR2004
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Your right..but the point is it is a player market right now and the owners are paying up. Young could have almost set his price close to the 90-95 mil range if he wanted

Owners in baseball, by and large, are morons. I'm glad I'm a fan of a franchise that can field a team each year that will be in it until the final week of the season and do it with a middle of the road payroll. It's fun being an A's fan and it's why I laugh at all these other foolish teams like the Rangers who have owners who think you can just spend teams into oblivion. Hicks tried to spend less and instead of taking some lumps and letting the farm system provide them with cheap talent they started wasting money (Millwood) and now they're locked in with a shortstop, no matter what the market says, that they gave WAY too much money.

The Rangers ONE big chance to be a legitimate franchise came and passed when Hicks let the empty golf shirt stay around a year too long. That cost them Grady Fuson who has one of the best eyes for talent in baseball (If not the best). That man was every bit, if not moreso responsible, for Oakland's stockpiling of cheap talent.

Keith7
03-02-2007, 11:37 AM
O like the Rangers who have owners who think you can just spend teams into oblivion.

ha spend into oblivion?!?!!? are you really a baseball fan??? they main complaint by Rangers fans is that they Hicks doesn't spend enough on Free agents, esp. pitchers.. Texas ranked 17th in payroll last year out of 30 teams, does that not sound middle of the road in payroll?? Sure the rangers don't play moneyball, but they are a whole heck of alot funner to watch then the A's.. The rangers will be better off this year then the A's, Moneyball won't work forever

That cost them Grady Fuson who has one of the best eyes for talent in baseball (If not the best). That man was every bit, if not moreso responsible, for Oakland's stockpiling of cheap talent.

um ya this also makes me question you being a baseball fan.. Anyone who knows anything, knows that Billy Beane single handely turned the A's around, and it was he who found alternate methods of "stock piling cheap talent" ( by paying $$ for on base percentage, and groundball/flyball ratio instead of HR's and K's)..

Macarthur
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM

They were overpaid, but the market is what it is. It's a very good deal and by the time the contract nears it's end, he will be a huge bargin.

crzyjournalist03
03-02-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by coach
so long mark texiera

Tex isn't going to sign here regardless...Boras clients NEVER sign with their original team...Greg Maddux did about ten years ago, and Boras was outraged...if Tex has any interest in staying in Texas, Hicks will pony up the money, but he'll have to hire a new agent.

JR2004
03-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ha spend into oblivion?!?!!? are you really a baseball fan??? they main complaint by Rangers fans is that they Hicks doesn't spend enough on Free agents, esp. pitchers.. Texas ranked 17th in payroll last year out of 30 teams, does that not sound middle of the road in payroll?? Sure the rangers don't play moneyball, but they are a whole heck of alot funner to watch then the A's.. The rangers will be better off this year then the A's, Moneyball won't work forever

um ya this also makes me question you being a baseball fan.. Anyone who knows anything, knows that Billy Beane single handely turned the A's around, and it was he who found alternate methods of "stock piling cheap talent" ( by paying $$ for on base percentage, and groundball/flyball ratio instead of HR's and K's)..

He spent them into oblivion...Decided that wasn't working...Went cheap and then screwed Fuson over. Going cheap wasn't working out so well. Then they waste money on Millwood and now throw 16 million to Young which is a WASTE no matter what the market is doing. Give 16 million to Oakland's front office and we'll have multiple players brought in that will improve the team.

lol...Please for the love of the Good Lord know what you're talking about before you spout off...Being a Rangers fan I realize you don't know what good baseball is so let me educate you on how Oakland turned out the way they have. If you knew ONE SINGLE THING about Oakland, you'd know that Billy Beane DOESN'T run the draft and Billy Beane is NOT the originator of how the A's are run. That credit goes to a predecessor of his named Sandy Alderson. He didn't reinvent the wheel. He took a philosophy already in place and tweaked and fine tuned it.

Grady Fuson (you know the guy y'all let slip away to let the empty golf shirt stick around a year too long.) is the one responsible for drafting a certain high school pitcher (Among many, many other great picks he oversaw in the draft) a few years ago in the first round. Beane was LIVID at the drafting of this kid and at the first possible chance he shipped him out of town to Detroit as soon as he was eligible to trade him away. The kid that Beane hated because he was a high school pitcher just pitched Game 4 of the WORLD SERIES and did a darn good job. That kid was Jeremy Bonderman.

Seriously the next time you decide to speak as though you know how the A's are run, do some RESEARCH first and you'd find out that scouting directors are responsible for running the draft and acquiring all that young, cheap talent. If you think this is something that isn't common, go take a look at the Dodgers system. It was built up entirely by their scouting director just like every other successful farm system.

Emerson1
03-02-2007, 08:53 PM
He is getting a $800,000 a month take home check.

I wish I could stand around for 3 hours a day and get paid that much.

JR2004
03-02-2007, 09:04 PM
To further refute your claims about Billy inventing the "Moneyball" style of running a team, here's an article about Alderson and some quotes from Beane himself included. I'd say Baseball America knows what they're talking about.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/25thanniversary/261956.html#salderson

eagles_victory
03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Hicks had to pay this much for Young. Tex is most likely gone when his contract is up if Hicks let young and tex walk he would lose all creidability with the fans