PDA

View Full Version : jasper bulldawgs

bigdawg92
07-01-2003, 05:13 PM
how do yall think the jasper bulldawgs will do this up coming season????

Chris Hart
07-01-2003, 06:48 PM
I expect them to make another lengthy run in the playoffs. They have the talent level and will always be competitive. Good luck to Jasper!

<small>[ July 01, 2003, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

Old Cardinal
07-01-2003, 07:39 PM
I always have admired Jasper, I think again their only competition in District will be Newton....I am however stil in shock that with all that Div I College level talent, they did not win State last year.

sinton66
07-01-2003, 07:43 PM
How much of it do they have coming back this year? I never did see a roster on them last year.

Old Cardinal
07-01-2003, 07:49 PM
They return a great group that will be Seniors including power runner Marlin Cook. They had an undefeated JV and 9th grade during District play, plus an elite 7th and 8th grade program. I think that with some higher quality Offensive Coaching they are pretty much unstopable.

big69
07-02-2003, 10:12 AM
I think that they might not have the size of last year but more speed, and that could be better for them. They should make it farther this year. I heard that Jermichael Finley was not going to be playing for Diboll this year. He going to focus more on basketball. Can't blame him!

PPHSfan
07-02-2003, 10:44 AM
Old Cardinal:
I always have admired Jasper, I think again their only competition in District will be Newton....I am however stil in shock that with all that Div I College level talent, they did not win State last year.Old Card, I know that you were star-struck by Jasper last year, but they really only signed two D1 players last year. Granted, the two they signed are outstanding athletes, but they were not the best team in 3A last year. Actually I would say they were barely a top ten team. From what I saw, Burnet cleaned their clock, and Forney, Everman, Sinton, Carthage, and even a few 'small' schools like Newton, Celina, Daingerfield and Greenwood would have probably had their way with them too. Yes, Jasper did have a ton of talent, but just because they stomped Bridge City does not make them the NFL team that you want us to believe they were.

I think Jasper will do well this year, but It is probably going to take some changes in the 'program' to put all of that talent to better use. :p

Matthew328
07-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Jasper won't be as good as they were last year in my opinion...finding someone to replace Mitchell will be difficult..he made the offense go...Cook is a tough runner who should put up big numbers....I look for Jasper and Burnet to meet again in the semis but Burnet should take care of em again..

big daddy russ
07-02-2003, 06:44 PM
I think Jasper was a top-5 team last year but they had a bad game against Burnet. (And believe it or not, I actually saw them play :D ) They did have a ton of talent and Mitchell was probably the best QB I watched last year, although I didn't catch McGee at 100%. He was better than Adrian Alaniz of Sinton and that's saying a whole lot. Hell, Alaniz started all four years for one of the top ten 3A programs in the state. If Burnet and Jasper would have played a best-of-seven, it would've gone seven games. Yes, they had that much talent.

sinton66
07-02-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm going to take a rare exception and disagree with you Russ, Jasper could not have beaten Burnet last year no matter what they did. Burnet was pretty much all offense with a decent defense. Jasper didn't have much defense to speak of, and defense wins championships. Just imagine what Everman would have done to them. In the same light, Burnet could not have beaten Everman for the same reason.

Ozzy
07-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Sinton66-

To say that Jasper didn't have much defense crazy. They had posted 4 consecutive shut-outs going into the semi-final ball game. They had incredible speed, size, and talent on that side of the ball. They were truly amazing. What they lacked was a scheme to stop Burnet. I think Burnet was the only team in AAA that could have beaten Jasper.

Matthew328
07-03-2003, 07:28 PM
I agree that Burnet was a bad matchup for Jasper....but to say Burnet was the only 3A team capable of beating Jasper? I beleieve Everman, and Forney would have beaten Jasper and Carthage vs Jasper would have been a close one..

Old Cardinal
07-03-2003, 08:34 PM
It kind of interesting Cameron Yoe, lost to Marlin by only one point, and they were suspose to be so great; yet Jasper beat them 45-0...Same thing- they smothered Mexia-I saw the action. Jasper had a good defense, but no one knew they could be passed on like Burnet did. They were vunerable and I don't think anyone knew it until Shipley and gang exploited that weakness.

j_dog
07-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Old Cardinal:
I always have admired Jasper, I think again their only competition in District will be Newton....I am however stil in shock that with all that Div I College level talent, they did not win State last year.OC, give Burnet their due. Burnet had quite a bit of D1 talent themselves, they were ready to play, and they executed. Oh yes, I think many people would agree, their coaching staff flat out-coached Jasper's coaches. Not to be critical of Jasper's coaching, but obviously, the Jasper team was not ready to play that game. Now, if they are fortunate to get a re-match this year, they might be better motivated and prepared. They would certainly have no reason to be over-confident this time.

Jasper will not have the same talent level this year, but they should have enough to make things interesting. I have heard some speculation that junior Jordon Patton, the heir apparent at QB may be as good, perhaps better than Mitchell at the same point in his career. If some of the younger players come through, the Dogs could be tough. However, I admit I am a bit surprised that they are being picked as high as they are. It will be interesting to watch developments.

Old Cardinal
07-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I agree J-Dog: Jordon Patton is extremely skilled. That's why a good program development has talent on the bench, or playing JV, that would start and maybe star for many weaker teams. I tell you what, that end-of-the-season matchup of Bridge City and Jasper's 9th grades last fall was by far the best two teams of that age group that I have ever witnessed. The two programs will be competitive for years to come, based on the bulk talent that was exhibited, late last fall.

<small>[ July 04, 2003, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Ozzy
07-06-2003, 05:40 PM
In defense of my previous statement, here is my reasoning:

1. Jasper knows how to stop the run. They had the front seven to stop anyone from running the football (Everman & Forney included). Burnet was slightly successful running the football because Jasper was dropping up to 9 into coverage.

2. Jasper can stop the play-action passing game. Forney and Everman had mediocre passing attacks at best.

3. Speed, speed, speed. No one could match up with the Jasper speed.

The only reason that Burnet won the game is because they executed the quick passing game to perfection that afternoon. I don't believe anyone else in AAA could have done to Jasper what Burnet did to them.

cunbed10
07-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Old Cardinal:
It kind of interesting Cameron Yoe, lost to Marlin by only one point, and they were suspose to be so great; yet Jasper beat them 45-0...Same thing- they smothered Mexia-I saw the action. Jasper had a good defense, but no one knew they could be passed on like Burnet did. They were vunerable and I don't think anyone knew it until Shipley and gang exploited that weakness.Yes, and Burnet had to go overtime to beat Marlin, so what's your point! here's a thought, on any given day, any team could win or loose, believe it or not Bellville had any given day and won, Marlin had any team and lost so don't
talk about Marlin and Cameron compared to Jasper, I watched the Jasper vs. Burnet and Marlin played Burnet a hell of a lot better than Jasper.

sinton66
07-07-2003, 06:04 PM
Ozzy:
In defense of my previous statement, here is my reasoning:

1. Jasper knows how to stop the run. They had the front seven to stop anyone from running the football (Everman & Forney included). Burnet was slightly successful running the football because Jasper was dropping up to 9 into coverage.

2. Jasper can stop the play-action passing game. Forney and Everman had mediocre passing attacks at best.

3. Speed, speed, speed. No one could match up with the Jasper speed.

The only reason that Burnet won the game is because they executed the quick passing game to perfection that afternoon. I don't believe anyone else in AAA could have done to Jasper what Burnet did to them.Ozzy, I don't mean to take anything away from Jasper, but I promise you Sinton would have beaten them too, provided they could have had a more solid outing than they did against Burnet. The R4 reps were simply better teams. And I would bet my last dollar bill that Everman would have wiped them out. Everman is not primarily a passing team, but they know how to use the pass effectively enough to give them some running room. Trust me, I know this from experience.

<small>[ July 07, 2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

big daddy russ
07-08-2003, 01:55 AM
Sorry, 66 and PPHS, but Jasper had more talent than Sinton and just as much as Everman or Burnet. I can't make a decision on either Forney or Carthage since I didn't see them play. Sinton had tons of athletes, but they didn't necessarily have the ballplayers (all shapes and sizes) that Jasper did. The Bulldogs were huge and fast. Burnet, on the other hand, matched up quite well. But it wasn't Jasper's day. The line blocked poorly, receivers ran lazy routes and the defense looked like they were still trying to recover from a long night of drinking. Burnet's lines controlled the game on that particular day, and that game really was won in the trenches. I'd be willing to bet that the Jasper receivers dropped at the very least five passes that hit them in the numbers. They just didn't pull them in. And Burnet's quick-strike and Jasper's inability to come back switched the momentum for the whole game. We've all been there and know the snowball effect. Just because you have the talent doesn't mean you can just snap your fingers and completely change the momentum of the game. Granted, Burnet's team had a lot to do with that, BUT you could see the talent just by watching Jasper play. Guys, you know I'm a Region IV homer and that I represent the dirty south wink , but Jasper could've played with anyone anywhere. They just played the wrong people on the wrong day.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

Old Cardinal
07-08-2003, 10:10 AM
Good analysis Big Daddy Russ: Look at the score, it was not a total washout. Jasper was cocky, and not as well disciplined as they should have been, They were just beat by the skilled position people, and Coaching, of Burnet, and they blew every passing opportunity. They would have murdered any other team in Region IV, but Burnet last season.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

holdem
07-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Teams that rely heavily on the pass look unstoppable when everything's clicking and pretty bad when things aren't...
Burnet was on against Jasper, but they weren't in the final game.

Interesting comment Russ: "they were still trying to recover from a long night of drinking". I would hope that was not the case, but if so then they didn't need to win.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Holdem, how right you are! I have seen teams like Bridgeport, last year capture the hearts of the Pass-Pass-Pass Darlings, but I can count on one hand the State Champions in any class that was an all-pass team that reached the State Championship status. Yes they can have some spectacular wins; but they can have some terrible loses too!

sinton66
07-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Russ, I have to assume you have never seen Everman play, because if you had, you would have realized their talent also. I remember Sinton completing passes in their secondary only to have them stripped and then intercepted by Everman. You guys can say what you want, but I said Jasper was over-rated last season, and I predicted well in advance of the playoff round that whoever survived the R4 showdown would beat Jasper. There is a BIG difference between shutting out a district foe and beating a state finalist. And you know what? We heard this same bs from all the Jasper fans from the very start of last season. All the same justifications, all the same claims of speed, speed, and more speed, and what did all that get them? An uncontested state championship they were declaring was inevitable? No, it got their butts kicked in the semi-final round. Each step up the playoff ladder increases the level of competition almost double. Jasper did not have what it took to hang with 3A's big boys, it's as simple as that.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

j_dog
07-08-2003, 06:41 PM
66, Yes Jasper got it handed to them by Burnet, but they DID do their job and make it to the semi's and if Sinton had done the same, then we would all know how Jasper and Sinton would have matched up. After all your talk knocking Jasper last year I was surely hoping for that matchup. Now we will never know. Everything else is pure conjecture.

Good luck to Sinton this year. Maybe this is their year to take it all.

sinton66
07-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by j_dog:

Everything else is pure conjecture.
This is my point exactly. To go on and on about Jasper coulda done this or shoulda done that is pointless at this stage. Fact is they didn't. And yes, neither did Sinton, but I never guaranteed that Sinton would go all the way last season. I said several times we were a regional finalist on talent alone. I also said that going any further was going to depend on a number of things happening(which didn't). Did we do what I said we would? Yeah, we did. Did Jasper do what most of your fans were claiming they would do? Please believe me, I have nothing against Jasper. I just knew in my heart they weren't gonna do it last year. I hope you guys do have a better year this time around. Best of luck to you.

<small>[ July 08, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

whatusay2
07-08-2003, 08:26 PM
sinton66
Did Jasper do what most of your fans were claiming they would do? [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sinton66, what do you mean "most fans"? Most Jasper fans, especially those on this board, weren't claiming an automatic state title. It seems as if you're elated that we faltered. Remember, these are still high school kids playing the game. We should all be wishing them success instead of cheering their failure. Anyway, I really do wish Sinton good luck this season.

sinton66
07-08-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm neither elated, disappointed, or surprized they failed. I have no stake in their success or failure. There is no vested interest here on my part. And I would venture a guess that the majority of posters would disagree with you on what the Jasper fans were saying on this board last season. There were indeed some that were level headed and even tried to calm the more assertive fans, but I got the feeling it was "most" of them, and I'm pretty sure the majority of the posters on here did also, but I could be wrong, I have been once before. wink

Reveille
07-09-2003, 11:29 AM
I will back you on that 66. There were quite a few Jasper fans talking smack about a state title last year. Some were down right arrogant about it.
Some of us tried to warn them about the large helpings of crow which can be served up on this sight. Obviously, there were a few who did not listen and were served a double helping after the Burnet game.

sinton66
07-09-2003, 05:39 PM
Thanks Reveille, I'm sure you know I'm not hating on Jasper's kids. I just hope some of the Jasper fans have learned a little something about staying humble. That said, this time, it wasn't Jasper people on this thread that started the discussion in this direction.
Back on subject, I would still like to know how many returning starters they have coming back this season, and do any of you know the average margin of victory of the JV team?

whatusay2
07-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Sinton66, it seems as if you like to have the last word--but, I do too. You harped on this topic too much to not have been just a little happy that Jasper lost. Come on, admit it...Well, it's a new season and a new beginning for everyone. wink

sinton66
07-09-2003, 06:57 PM
whatusay2:
Sinton66, it seems as if you like to have the last word--but, I do too. You harped on this topic too much to not have been just a little happy that Jasper lost. Come on, admit it...Well, it's a new season and a new beginning for everyone. wink Sorry partner, feeling justified in my prediction is not the same as being happy Jasper lost. If you can't tell the difference, that's not my problem. wink