PDA

View Full Version : Beer that is better for you

Adidas410s
02-28-2007, 05:30 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/02-07/0228beer.jpg
Beer that's better for you

02:33 PM CST on Wednesday, February 28, 2007
By DEBBIE FETTERMAN / Special contributor to the DMN

Back in 2003, Dallas entrepreneur Lawrence Schwartz met friends for sushi and a beer after an intense workout. But he worried that drinking beer would negate the workout's benefits.

"What about a beer that tastes like a beer but is better for you?" he pondered.

The author and fitness enthusiast spent the next several years creating Stampede Light, a beer infused with B vitamins, folic acid and folate.

"I think he's onto something," Dallas fitness expert Larry North says. "I love to have fun. I like to make 'better' bad choices. I have the product in my refrigerator. I have ordered the product out.

"I like the taste," he says, likening it to a cross between Amstel Light and Shiner Bock. It's low-calorie and low-carb, he adds, with a full-bodied flavor.

When Mr. Schwartz started the project, he set out to learn all he could about beer. One of the experts he contacted was world-renowned brew master Joseph L. Owades, a biochemist credited with inventing light beer.

Mr. Owades, who died in December, said that the two toughest challenges would be making a vitamin-infused beer taste right and gaining government approval to market it.

He was right. The product's label cannot mention vitamins because of their implied health benefit. And the original Stampede Light, launched in November 2005, needed reformulating to improve the taste.

Two MBA marketing classes at Southern Methodist University helped Mr. Schwartz test the new taste and redesigned packaging.

He thinks he's got it right this time. The "power beer" has been available since July at selected locations of Sigel's, Centennial, SuperTarget, Goody-Goody, Whole Foods Market, Kroger and Central Market. For details, see www.stampedebeer.com.

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Barbaro? :o :o :o :o