PDA

View Full Version : Report: Gore mansion uses 20 times the electricity of average home

Txbroadcaster
02-28-2007, 05:19 PM
from the Tennessee Center for Policy Research
Al Gore’s Personal Energy Use Is His Own “Inconvenient Truth”
Gore’s home uses more than 20 times the national average

Last night, Al Gore’s global-warming documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, collected an Oscar for best documentary feature, but the Tennessee Center for Policy Research has found that Gore deserves a gold statue for hypocrisy.

Gore’s mansion, located in the posh Belle Meade area of Nashville, consumes more electricity every month than the average American household uses in an entire year, according to the Nashville Electric Service (NES).

In his documentary, the former Vice President calls on Americans to conserve energy by reducing electricity consumption at home.

The average household in America consumes 10,656 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, according to the Department of Energy. In 2006, Gore devoured nearly 221,000 kWh—more than 20 times the national average.

Last August alone, Gore burned through 22,619 kWh—guzzling more than twice the electricity in one month than an average American family uses in an entire year. As a result of his energy consumption, Gore’s average monthly electric bill topped $1,359.

Since the release of An Inconvenient Truth, Gore’s energy consumption has increased from an average of 16,200 kWh per month in 2005, to 18,400 kWh per month in 2006.

Gore’s extravagant energy use does not stop at his electric bill. Natural gas bills for Gore’s mansion and guest house averaged $1,080 per month last year.

“As the spokesman of choice for the global warming movement, Al Gore has to be willing to walk the walk, not just talk the talk, when it comes to home energy use,” said Tennessee Center for Policy Research President Drew Johnson.

In total, Gore paid nearly $30,000 in combined electricity and natural gas bills for his Nashville estate in 2006.

crzyjournalist03
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
HYPOCRITE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
can't say I'm shocked...

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Oh my aching arse!

I have never EVER had a care for that man! :mad: :mad: :foul:

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
that's just what he uses powering his lock-box...

Bullaholic
02-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Hang on---"spin" coming up.....(BTW, any big time politician of either party is a regular "whirling dervish" when it comes to "spin" in such embarassing siuations.)

Adidas410s
02-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Where's BBDE when we need him?

crzyjournalist03
02-28-2007, 05:28 PM
What the report doesn't tell you is that Gore is running his Air conditioner around the clock with his windows open in an attempt to battle global warming.

(How's that for spin?):D

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Is anyone surprised? I mean, c'mon......:rolleyes:

pirate44
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What the report doesn't tell you is that Gore is running his Air conditioner around the clock with his windows open in an attempt to battle global warming.

roflmpwbo:clap: :D

Gobbla2001

haha

dammit, I thought we had him

PurpleFreddy
This is a bogus report generated by the right-wing echo chamber. The The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is nowhere near an independent and nonpartisan creature.

pirate44
02-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
This is a bogus report generated by the right-wing echo chamber. The The Tennessee Center for Policy Research is nowhere near an independent and nonpartisan creature.
very true. i say he's only using half the electricity they say he's using

Blastoderm55
Validity is Undetermined. (http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/gorehome.asp)

BTEXDAD
Give the poor man a break. One of his spokesmen said Gore had done a lot of other things to cut down on ozone emissions, pollution, and whatever that more than made up for utility usage of his high maintenance mansion.

I do the exact same thing when I eat. If i'm having a high calorie meal, i'll drink a diet soda, or tea with sweet and low in it.
They offset each other. :D

RMAC
02-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Prove it.

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Maybe what's her face was going through "the change" :eek: HORRORS!

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Prove it.

Ding. Ding. Ding.

ROUND 1:

Txbroadcaster
02-28-2007, 05:33 PM

No matter the slant..if the figures are correct, then they are correct

pirate44
02-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
ROFLMPWBO:D

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM

ROFLMFWAOBIFWTYBOFW :clap:

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Snopes Message Board discussion (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4174)

BTEXDAD
02-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Snopes Message Board discussion (http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=4174)

Now, Blast, surely you aren't saying that Snopes is fair and objective in reporting.

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM

http://www.wonkette.com/politics/al%20gore%20tipper%20gore%20kiss.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THEY MAKE ME WANNA BARF AND THEN RESWALLOW...

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM

:doh: :doh: Snopes, snopes, snopes.......:foul: I am beginning to really dislike that site.

pirate44
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
:doh: :doh: Snopes, snopes, snopes.......:foul: I am beginning to really dislike that site.
that and wikipedia

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
from that message board:

However, Air Force One burns more fossil fuels in a few hours than Gore's house uses in a year. The passengers on Air Force One are a major source of hot air and incredibly destructive of the world and its environment.

But Air Force One isn't making movies saying not to...

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THEY MAKE ME WANNA BARF AND THEN RESWALLOW...

<-------------- check the avatar

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
from that message board:

But Air Force One isn't making movies saying not to...

What do tennis shoes have to do with this thread, you hijacker you!

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Caption this:

Originally posted by BuffyMars

"Get off me AL, GET OFF!"

Blastoderm55
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Now, Blast, surely you aren't saying that Snopes is fair and objective in reporting.

Regardless of whether or not it is, the discussion going on in the forum is pretty good.

As for whether or not the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, just keep in mind that they receieved $1.6 million from Exxon.

BuffyMars
<-------------- check the avatar

I know...I need an avatar that says either that or I just peed a little. I say them both way too much! :D

Txbroadcaster
02-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Again..It does not matter WHO put the report out if the numbers are correct

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Regardless of whether or not it is, the discussion going on in the forum is pretty good.

As for whether or not the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, just keep in mind that they receieved $1.6 million from Exxon.

well I'm not gunna argue that they're taking a conservative slant to this, you're probably right... but don't you think they'd know not to put their necks out as far as they have in presenting those numbers as facts???

I'm with a lot of those people on that board, it's a big house, of course you're gunna use more electricity... yet do you NEED that big house and all of those things taking up that electricity?

PurpleFreddy
02-28-2007, 05:44 PM
From Will Bunch (excerpt):

As Gore's electric bill (and yes, it's public record -- strange but true) shows, he and Tipper voluntarily pay the higher cost for something called Green Power Switch, which uses more expensive energy from renewable sources like wind and solar power. He purchases offsets for carbon fuel use.

Yes, he uses more electricity than you or me, but the house of this former Vice President and his wife has offices and staffers and security needs that we don't have either. His car today is an SUV, but it's also a hybrid.

So at the end of the day, what does it all mean? When you peel away all the layers, it means that when it comes to greenhouse gases and climate change -- one of the three great interlocking issues of our time, along with Peak Oil and war and peace in the oil-producing regions -- that the conservative movement has absolutely zero to say.

Because, think about it -- if global warming isn't really a problem, then they shouldn't care how much electricity he uses, and if it is a problem, then there's bigger fish to fry out there than one man in Tennessee and his mansion and SUV, right? Why can't conservatives argue THE ISSUE of global warming, rather than this crap.

There are, after all, some legitimate experts who don't think global warming is a problem, or at least not a manmade one. I even wrote about one of them -- Penn prof Robert Geigenback -- here on this blog, just to help you people out. I happen to think you'll lose the argument, and lose it badly, since you'll be going against most of the world's scientific community.

But at least try!!!

Instead, it's this same crap, again and again and again. There's a speech on global warming, and it's cold outside! Don't debate John Kerry's plans for Iraq, question his medals from Vietnam. It's not the war that's going badly, it's some freelance photographer for the AP who has a cousin that's an insurgent. Who cares whether Israel's assault on Hezbollah made the problems in the Middle East worse, when there's a picture with too much smoke. A serious debate on issues in Congress? Look, up in the sky, it's Nancy Pelosi's plane -- what was that all about?

What does any of this trivial BS have to do with the things that need to be debated in 2007, like our future policy in the Middle East, or reducing our dependence on fossil fuels? Has the conservative movement in this country really become this bankrupt, intellectually and morally? Even this liberal finds that very discouraging.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Again..It does not matter WHO put the report out if the numbers are correct

True, but the story behind those numbers is very important, especially the part that was not told.

A truth conveniently left out (http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070228/BUSINESS/702280381/1003)

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm with a lot of those people on that board, it's a big house, of course you're gunna use more electricity... yet do you NEED that big house and all of those things taking up that electricity? LOL! Well with a name like Tipper .... ;) :p

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 05:46 PM
well I'm not gunna argue that they're taking a conservative slant to this, you're probably right... but don't you think they'd know not to put their necks out as far as they have in presenting those numbers as facts???

I'm with a lot of those people on that board, it's a big house, of course you're gunna use more electricity... yet do you NEED that big house and all of those things taking up that electricity?

Its protected just like guns, regardless of whether or not he actually needs it. His use of "green" energy at least makes the consumption more eco-friendly.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 05:47 PM
LOL! Well with a name like Tipper .... ;) :p

I really dislike that woman. Damn PMRC. :mad:

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:48 PM
From Will Bunch (excerpt):

As Gore's electric bill (and yes, it's public record -- strange but true) shows, he and Tipper voluntarily pay the higher cost for something called Green Power Switch, which uses more expensive energy from renewable sources like wind and solar power. He purchases offsets for carbon fuel use.

Yes, he uses more electricity than you or me, but the house of this former Vice President and his wife has offices and staffers and security needs that we don't have either. His car today is an SUV, but it's also a hybrid.

So at the end of the day, what does it all mean? When you peel away all the layers, it means that when it comes to greenhouse gases and climate change -- one of the three great interlocking issues of our time, along with Peak Oil and war and peace in the oil-producing regions -- that the conservative movement has absolutely zero to say.

Because, think about it -- if global warming isn't really a problem, then they shouldn't care how much electricity he uses, and if it is a problem, then there's bigger fish to fry out there than one man in Tennessee and his mansion and SUV, right? Why can't conservatives argue THE ISSUE of global warming, rather than this crap.

There are, after all, some legitimate experts who don't think global warming is a problem, or at least not a manmade one. I even wrote about one of them -- Penn prof Robert Geigenback -- here on this blog, just to help you people out. I happen to think you'll lose the argument, and lose it badly, since you'll be going against most of the world's scientific community.

But at least try!!!

Instead, it's this same crap, again and again and again. There's a speech on global warming, and it's cold outside! Don't debate John Kerry's plans for Iraq, question his medals from Vietnam. It's not the war that's going badly, it's some freelance photographer for the AP who has a cousin that's an insurgent. Who cares whether Israel's assault on Hezbollah made the problems in the Middle East worse, when there's a picture with too much smoke. A serious debate on issues in Congress? Look, up in the sky, it's Nancy Pelosi's plane -- what was that all about?

What does any of this trivial BS have to do with the things that need to be debated in 2007, like our future policy in the Middle East, or reducing our dependence on fossil fuels? Has the conservative movement in this country really become this bankrupt, intellectually and morally? Even this liberal finds that very discouraging.

ah ha... very good...

SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE WHO BELIEVED THAT ARTICLE...

Txbroadcaster
02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
ah ha... very good...

SHAME ON YOU PEOPLE WHO BELIEVED THAT ARTICLE...

I justy posted it

BUT using logic on this thread

That is a slanted blog so should I believe it?

crzyjournalist03
02-28-2007, 05:52 PM
LOL! Well with a name like Tipper .... ;) :p

I wouldn't...

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I justy posted it

BUT using logic on this thread

That is a slanted blog so should I believe it?

You should believe anything that helps out Al Gore... because Tiiper says so

JasperDog94
02-28-2007, 06:57 PM
When was the last time that Al Gore flew on a commercial airliner instead of a private jet? That would help the environment. :thinking:

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Please read the title

Gore MANSION

The bigger the house, the more energy it takes to power everything in the house.

Keep in mind the average American home is 1-2 stories, 1-3 bedrooms, 1-2 baths, kitchen, living room. Mansions have much more than that.

Bill Gates home probably uses more energy in a week than the "average" household does in a year

JasperDog94
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Please read the title

Gore MANSION

The bigger the house, the more energy it takes to power everything in the house.

Keep in mind the average American home is 1-2 stories, 1-3 bedrooms, 1-2 baths, kitchen, living room. Mansions have much more than that.

Bill Gates home probably uses more energy in a week than the "average" household does in a year But again Bill Gates isn't telling everyone that they're killing the environment and then using tons more energy than everyone else.

Now if Bill Gates came up to everyone and said that they were spending too much money on their computers and not enough time with their families, then THAT would be hypocrisy.

Typical of Gore to say "Do as I say. Not as I do".

RMAC
02-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Please read the title

Gore MANSION

Bill Gates home probably uses more energy in a week than the "average" household does in a year

But he's not saying we as Americans need to cut back on our energy consumption. I'm sure Gore is a nice guy and all, but this makes him look like a big fat hypocrite.

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
But again Bill Gates isn't telling everyone that they're killing the environment and then using tons more energy than everyone else.

Now if Bill Gates came up to everyone and said that they were spending too much money on their computers and not enough time with their families, then THAT would be hypocrisy.

How is he a hypocrit. Just because he uses more energy in a mansion than I do in a run down one story doesn't mean he doesn't take steps to try and conserve his energy. Unless you want to walk in Al Gores house, you can't prove he is a hypocrit. For all we know, he may be taking major steps trying to conserve energy. His home just may be too big for it to look like it made a difference. Let the man be. He did nothing to you

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 07:14 PM
How is he a hypocrit. Just because he uses more energy in a mansion than I do in a run down one story doesn't mean he doesn't take steps to try and conserve his energy. Unless you want to walk in Al Gores house, you can't prove he is a hypocrit. For all we know, he may be taking major steps trying to conserve energy. His home just may be too big for it to look like it made a difference. Let the man be. He did nothing to you

his usage has actually gone up...

however, according to more information, it seems he is using alternative sources of energy which isn't very hypocritical blah blah blah

JasperDog94
02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
Let the man be. He did nothing to you Nothing other than tell me that by driving my crew cab pickup that I'm destroying the ozone and causing global warming.

I'd like to see Al pull my boat with his hybrid SUV.

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 07:22 PM

I'd like to see him try to pull Tiiper with that hybrid SUV......

okay okay, I probably weight more than Tipsy it was just a joke...

JasperDog94
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
How is he a hypocrit. It's quite easy. He tells everyone that we need to conserve energy. He uses 20 times what the average American uses. That's being a hypocrite.

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Nothing other than tell me that by driving my crew cab pickup that I'm destroying the ozone and causing global warming.

well, um, you are

and his hybrid SUV probably can't pull your boat. Thats probably why you don't see Al Gore on celebrity fishing shows

sinton66
02-28-2007, 07:24 PM
This doesn't surprise me at all. If you figure his air conditioning system has to handle all that hot air............

:D

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:25 PM
It's quite easy. He tells everyone that we need to conserve energy. He uses 20 times what the average American uses. That's being a hypocrite.

No. being a hypocrit would be him telling you to conserve energy and then not trying to conserve it himself. Where does it say that he is not trying to conserve energy. He may be failing, but prove he is not trying

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
No. being a hypocrit would be him telling you to conserve energy and then not trying to conserve it himself. Where does it say that he is not trying to conserve energy. He may be failing, but prove he is not trying

well, if it is all true that he is using so much energy, does he NEED all of the energy he uses? that's a good question, isn't it?

that's a lot of energy not being sacrificed while asking everyone else to sacrifice...

but as it's been said, he's using alternative energy, so that's not really bad in my opinion...

SintonFan
02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
He's a hypocrite plain and simple. Why do wanna hold his jock?
Stop being that way or GM is gonna cop a feel on you! :p

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
He's a hypocrite plain and simple. Why do wanna hold his jock?
Stop being that way or GM is gonna cop a feel on you! :p

yea
using alternative sources of energy is so hypocritical

SintonFan
02-28-2007, 07:40 PM
yea
using alternative sources of energy is so hypocritical
lol
Next thing your gonna defend the boob for inventing the Internet.:D :p
And global warming is the biggest scam in modern history.:rolleyes:
Less than 15% of meteorologists think we have a hand in it like the wacko environmentalists want us to believe.:hand:

carter08
02-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Why you gotta hate on Al Gore

What did he do to you? And don't give me the poo about "he uses more energy than me and he's a bloody effin hypocrite". What did he do to you, or anyone else for that matter, personally. Nothing. You don't know the man. You are not God. You can't judge people

oh, and global warming is pretty much a lie. Temperatures are higher than they were 100 years ago, but the earth goes through natural heating and cooling periods. Give it a few hundred years

shankbear
02-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Algore must be really chowing down because he has become fatter than a big toad. Probably costs a fortune in energy to cook all the food he has to be eating.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
You know what I think is pitiful? Trying to take shots at a man who has done nothing but tried to help the current situation that we're in. Everyone wants to point the finger and find something wrong in something that a man is trying to do right. Forget Bush, forget the War in Iraq, let's jump all over a man who is trying to help our environment and help our planet. Forget the men and women who are dying because of lies, lies that you all are too blind to see. If you're going to throw out crap about Al Gore and make things political, then there are two sides to that. Sinton66 has clearly taken political shots at Gore, but every time I want to say something about Bush and my disapproval of the situation I hold back because I know that it's the right thing to do. This has gone on for three or four pages now and hasn't been stopped because of the political bias. If you don't want me posting my opinions about the War in Iraq, don't throw your slander and half-truths out about a man who has done nothing but tried to help our situation. You people make me sick.

JR2004
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You know what I think is pitiful? Trying to take shots at a man who has done nothing but tried to help the current situation that we're in. Everyone wants to point the finger and find something wrong in something that a man is trying to do right. Forget Bush, forget the War in Iraq, let's jump all over a man who is trying to help our environment and help our planet. Forget the men and women who are dying because of lies, lies that you all are too blind to see. If you're going to throw out crap about Al Gore and make things political, then there are two sides to that. Sinton66 has clearly taken political shots at Gore, but every time I want to say something about Bush and my disapproval of the situation I hold back because I know that it's the right thing to do. This has gone on for three or four pages now and hasn't been stopped because of the political bias. If you don't want me posting my opinions about the War in Iraq, don't throw your slander and half-truths out about a man who has done nothing but tried to help our situation. You people make me sick.

lol

pirate4state
03-01-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
You people make me sick. LMAO! :kiss: :D

rundoe
03-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Collectively, We have probably used up more energy on this thread than Al Gore's Mansion.

Not an Al Gore Fan, just making an observation. If the collective energy used by everyone' computers wasn't enough,the "hot air" generated made a contribution to global warming.

Since this thread started its been 81 and 85 as highs in the CenTex area. Wonder if theres a connection????

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/untitledsoul/BadDog.gif

The Real Cause of Global Warming!!!

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by rundoe
"hot air" And somehow, I knew you'd contribute. :p

pirate44
03-01-2007, 09:14 AM
in the spirit of al gore, i will slow my Hummer down to save gas. i mean, it is a Hummer, so you can expect it to use more gas, but the fact i will drive slower, will relinquish me of any guilt i may have.

SintonFan
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Why you gotta hate on Al Gore

What did he do to you? And don't give me the poo about "he uses more energy than me and he's a bloody effin hypocrite". What did he do to you, or anyone else for that matter, personally. Nothing. You don't know the man. You are not God. You can't judge people

oh, and global warming is pretty much a lie. Temperatures are higher than they were 100 years ago, but the earth goes through natural heating and cooling periods. Give it a few hundred years
Why you gotta hold his jock?
I said he's a hypocrite and I meant it. What has Al Gore done to me? Nothing yet. But if he gets his way we'll all be hamstrung by his fraudulent non-truth theories that we are responsible for the Earth heating up. They have no proof to back this up, but this is now taken as the truth. I have a problem with anyone who espouses lies and untruths for political gain(Al Gore and radical environmentalists). I think that "The Greenhouse theory" is just a tool that'll enable the liberal elite to push their agendas and gain further power. I'm mean, it's got liberals in a tizzy supporting all these outrageous claims that the oceans will rise 3 feet in forty years or so. Now they say that the oceans might rise 17" in 100 years. That fact that most scientist and weather professionals DO believe is that we are in a natural warming period not caused by man. But the recent UN study that came out claimed that they are 90% sure man is responsible for the current warming trend. They have little to back this up but put out the report to dissuade any one from further debate. You see, according to them the debate is over.
One thing cited in Al Gore's movie is that CO2 emissions are the cause of global warming but many prominent environmentalist believe that that claim is not true. Recent studies show that maybe the Earth heats up first causing a RISE in trapped CO2 emissions from melting ice around the world, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Considering that data from polar ice samples show that the Earth has been much hotter in the past that it is now, it's makes you wonder if dinosaurs were driving cars millions of years ago. How did the Earth heat up back then, I ask? Plain and simple, the sun has more of an impact on our temperature than anything we do. I think we are arrogant to think we can effect the temperature more than the sun can.
As for as you saying I'm not God... I know that. I do know that just saying Al Gore is a hypocrite doesn't make me judgemental or a deity. You said what you said in hopes that I would stop the debate then. When you posted, "You can't judge people", that was supposed to end the debate just like the recent UN Global Warming Report was to do likewise.:doh:
You can't tell me I can't judge people because some day I might become a judge, so there goes that...:p
Back to Gore, because he wants us all to go back to the "Flintstone Age" because of his fear and political motivations, but he won't do the same(his private jet uses quite a lot of greenhouse gasses, too); that makes him a hypocrite.:eek: :D

JasperDog94
03-01-2007, 01:14 PM
You are not God. You can't judge people Whoa! Since when is it "judging" somebody to say that you don't agree with them and that you think they're being a hypocrite?:confused:

zeus63
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
HYPOCRITE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

Come on, you have to give the guy a little lee-way. He did invent the internet you know. Must run up those electric bills during the long hours he spends programming after his day job.

garageoffice
03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm not a Gore supporter OR hater, so:

It's funny to me that, at a time when more and more scientists are jumping off of the 'Global Warming' bandwagon, more and more politicians are supporting it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of responsible use of resources and caring for the environment, but there's some pretty good debate going on in the scientific community.

For example, scientists have identified a historical cycle of heating/cooling and guess what? Since the early 1800s we've been coming out of one of the cool periods that started around 1300. Also, as SintonFan mentioned, there is much speculation over the relationship between CO2 and warming. Which comes first? Interestingly, the largest single contributor to warming (greenhouse effect) is water vapor, which is present in approximately 10x the quantity of CO2 and absorbs heat across the entire infrared range, unlike CO2.

It turns out that statistically, all of man's CO2 contribution is only about 2% of the total in the atmosphere anyway. The other 98% is the result of volcanic activity, oceanic outgassing and other natural biospherical activities.

However, you can't tax water vapor, can you?

If you want some really good reading along these lines, check out "Kicking the Sacred Cow" by James P. Hogan. I don't say I agree with everything he espouses, but it's certainly interesting.

shankbear
03-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Al is a bitter EX-next president. He needs to get over it. The global warming debate has equal support on both sides. He is just using this a his platform. Let him rant. His hot air is continuing to cause more G.W...............

themsu97
03-01-2007, 02:45 PM
I thought Al Gore invented electricity