PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Issue Revisited: One Year Later

TexasHSFootball
02-28-2007, 04:56 PM
It has been a year since the Dallas Morning News has run an investigative serieson steroids being used in Texas High Schools. With that being said, let's revisit the issue again and discuss the changes in policy, actions taken, and the steps that have not been taken.

I have also included a poll and a few links below.

1. What actions in your school have been taken to deter steroid use?
2. What actions do you feel should be taken to improve the steroid policy?

Dallas Morning News Series: Steroids In High School (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2005/steroids/index.html)
Dewhurst proposes high school steroid testing (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spe/2005/steroids/stories/012807dntswsteroids.772e11.html)

Here is the link to the debate on my board
THSF Steroid Polls & Debate (http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=32975)

big daddy russ
02-28-2007, 05:53 PM
It's very easy to say yes in this situation as it seems like a slam dunk choice, but looking at the big picture I'm going to have to say no.

If we're going to start mandatory drug testing, let's start at the top and work our way down. Start with heroin testing, then crack, then standard-issue cocaine, etc, etc. There are tons more dangerous drugs out there than 'roids. They also affect your life much more than the juice.

I'm extremely proud of Aransas Pass and all the other school districts who have implemented a program on their own without any state-spurred support, but what if a school district doesn't have the money for these tests? Will the state start taking more tax money and sinking it into steroid testing? How will they solve those issues?

Personally, I want to save a kid's life. That's why I'm not as concernced with marijuana and 'roids. IMO, roids are just the latest thing to be blown completely out of proportion. While I would encourage random testing on any athlete that looks suspicious, I don't think it should be mandatory. As a matter of fact, if I ran an ISD and had my say as to where I'd spend all that extra money the state gave me for mandatory testing, I'd just as soon sink it into equipment and teacher's salaries.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not for the invasion of privacy, nor the guilty until proven innocent idea. If you want to help the kids, spend the money that would be used to test athletes on more drug awareness and steroid abuse programs. I never saw any of that while I was in high school.

rundoe
03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
for drug and alcohol testing for all extra curricular students, (as per supreme court ruling)

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm not for the invasion of privacy, nor the guilty until proven innocent idea. If you want to help the kids, spend the money that would be used to test athletes on more drug awareness and steroid abuse programs. I never saw any of that while I was in high school.
While I can agree with drug awareness, what invasion of privacy? Is it an invasion of privacy when a potential employer requires a drug test before they will hire? Is that employer presuming you're guilty? Not at all! It's about safety. Why should we want less safety for the youth than we would an adult?

***sitting back on hands***

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
While I can agree with drug awareness, what invasion of privacy? Is it an invasion of privacy when a potential employer requires a drug test before they will hire? Is that employer presuming you're guilty? Not at all! It's about safety. Why should we want less safety for the youth than we would an adult?

***sitting back on hands***

Testing someone's urine to tell whatever they put in their body is invasion of privacy. What's in my body is my problem, not anyone elses. I support drug testing in collegiate athletics and employment because you are volunteering yourself for something, but athletics is offered to all students as a way to promote higher education, not for athletic excellence or a way to make money. That's apples and oranges.

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 01:25 PM
I support drug testing in collegiate athletics and employment because you are volunteering yourself for something, but athletics is offered to all students as a way to promote higher education, not for athletic excellence or a way to make money. That's apples and oranges.
Say what????? Aren't high school athletes volunteering? And when did athletics start being offered as a way to promote higher education? :confused:

garageoffice
03-01-2007, 01:27 PM
... what invasion of privacy?

I'm with LHPM on this one. Laws are meant to be enforced for the integrity of society, and rules are meant to be enforced for the integrity of the sport.

Requiring drug testing is not an invasion of privacy because participation in athletics is not a fundamental right or part of life. It is a privilege, and too many forget that fact. When you put on that uniform, you are representing more than just yourself, more, even, than just your school. You are ultimately representing the people of your community that formed the school district and pay the taxes that offer you the opportunity to play the game.

On an even grander scale, an athlete's actions reflect on the integrity of the game as it's organized and administered by the powers that be (UIL), all of the participating schools, their coaches and other players. If you don't want to take a test, that's fine. But just look at what the current scandals are doing to some high school, college and professional programs.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Say what????? Aren't high school athletes volunteering? And when did athletics start being offered as a way to promote higher education? :confused:

Then what other purpose do athletics serve, aside from combating obesity in schools?

mistanice
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Testing someone's urine to tell whatever they put in their body is invasion of privacy. What's in my body is my problem, not anyone elses. I support drug testing in collegiate athletics and employment because you are volunteering yourself for something, but athletics is offered to all students as a way to promote higher education, not for athletic excellence or a way to make money. That's apples and oranges.

Urine testing? The times i've been tested, it was a hair analysis. Wish it was urine!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Urine testing? The times i've been tested, it was a hair analysis. Wish it was urine!

Same applies for hair. ;)

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I'm with LHPM on this one. Laws are meant to be enforced for the integrity of society, and rules are meant to be enforced for the integrity of the sport.

Requiring drug testing is not an invasion of privacy because participation in athletics is not a fundamental right or part of life. It is a privilege, and too many forget that fact. When you put on that uniform, you are representing more than just yourself, more, even, than just your school. You are ultimately representing the people of your community that formed the school district and pay the taxes that offer you the opportunity to play the game.

On an even grander scale, an athlete's actions reflect on the integrity of the game as it's organized and administered by the powers that be (UIL), all of the participating schools, their coaches and other players. If you don't want to take a test, that's fine. But just look at what the current scandals are doing to some high school, college and professional programs. THANK YOU! :clap: :kiss: :clap:

Then what other purpose do athletics serve, aside from combating obesity in schools? How about teaching leadership skills, helping fullfill man's inherent competitive nature and the bond that is formed amongst the participants? How many Seniors were on the Rockdale team your Senior season? Now....how many of them had the opportunity to play at the "higher" level? If teams were made up of only the players who had a legitimate shot at playing college ball, it wouldn't be called 11-man. And what about the high school players who have no intentions of even attending college, much less attempting to play? If athletics ONLY was there to combat obesity in schools, there is such a thing as Physical Education.

What's in my body is my problem, not anyone elses. And actually, what's in your body may become someone else's problem, depending upon the reaction it has on you. If your "right" to use illegal drugs, including steroids, infringes upon others' rights to stay clean, where is the line drawn?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 07:53 PM
THANK YOU! :clap: :kiss: :clap:

How about teaching leadership skills, helping fullfill man's inherent competitive nature and the bond that is formed amongst the participants? How many Seniors were on the Rockdale team your Senior season? Now....how many of them had the opportunity to play at the "higher" level? If teams were made up of only the players who had a legitimate shot at playing college ball, it wouldn't be called 11-man. And what about the high school players who have no intentions of even attending college, much less attempting to play? If athletics ONLY was there to combat obesity in schools, there is such a thing as Physical Education.

And actually, what's in your body may become someone else's problem, depending upon the reaction it has on you. If your "right" to use illegal drugs, including steroids, infringes upon others' rights to stay clean, where is the line drawn?

That wasn't the higher learning that I was talking about, so you misunderstood and I didn't clarify well enough I suppose. Some of the ideals you were talking about are the higher learning that I meant. Trust me, I know better than most what sports teaches students, and those are things that can never be taught, not in a million years, in a classroom, and you know that too. I was being facetious when I talked about combating obesity. And yes, as much as you like to deny it, it is invasion of privacy. It is also illegal search and seizure. It breaches student civil rights because as I said before, it makes them guilty until proven innocent. It's not fair and it is unjust to the players, and that's just my opinion, and nothing that you or anyone else says is going to change mine. I respect your opinion, and I see your intentions are to help and to not hurt students, so please respect mine.

The way I see it is if schools are testing athletes for steriod use and find the said student to be using marijuana, that student is going to lose privileges because of evidence gathered in search of something else. If a student-athlete can face punishment for that, and they probably will, then every student in the school should be tested and held accountable for the same things because they too, as you said, could be viewed as a threat or danger to other students. Most schools, if not all, will refuse to do this though because of lack of funds or other reasons, and it's just not fair to the athletes to target them.

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
That wasn't the higher learning that I was talking about, so you misunderstood and I didn't clarify well enough I suppose. Some of the ideals you were talking about are the higher learning that I meant. Trust me, I know better than most what sports teaches students, and those are things that can never be taught, not in a million years, in a classroom, and you know that too. I was being facetious when I talked about combating obesity. And yes, as much as you like to deny it, it is invasion of privacy. It is also illegal search and seizure. It breaches student civil rights because as I said before, it makes them guilty until proven innocent. It's not fair and it is unjust to the players, and that's just my opinion, and nothing that you or anyone else says is going to change mine. I respect your opinion, and I see your intentions are to help and to not hurt students, so please respect mine.

The way I see it is if schools are testing athletes for steriod use and find the said student to be using marijuana, that student is going to lose privileges because of evidence gathered in search of something else. If a student-athlete can face punishment for that, and they probably will, then every student in the school should be tested and held accountable for the same things because they too, as you said, could be viewed as a threat or danger to other students. Most schools, if not all, will refuse to do this though because of lack of funds or other reasons, and it's just not fair to the athletes to target them.
I respect your opinion, even though we don't always agree. :)

If a school has testing for steroids, but no other drugs, then the student won't face punishment. Now, I completely understand the cost involved in testing for steroids & it's not cheap. And I can understand the hesitation by schools. Of course, it is illegal to test students NOT involved in extracurricular activities - it's not an "athlete" target, but can be applied to anyone who CHOOSES to participate in other school-related things.

Awhile back there was a completely different subject being discussed and the question was raised about "keeping your word" and you were pretty adamant about that. Many schools have a "code of conduct" that athletes, band members, etc sign before participating. If you see drug testing as a violation of your rights, how would you see this as different? And, if you sign it, but make the choice to use anyway, then what's the point of having the code? And haven't you gone back on your word? :thinking:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I respect your opinion, even though we don't always agree. :)

If a school has testing for steroids, but no other drugs, then the student won't face punishment. Now, I completely understand the cost involved in testing for steroids & it's not cheap. And I can understand the hesitation by schools. Of course, it is illegal to test students NOT involved in extracurricular activities - it's not an "athlete" target, but can be applied to anyone who CHOOSES to participate in other school-related things.

Awhile back there was a completely different subject being discussed and the question was raised about "keeping your word" and you were pretty adamant about that. Many schools have a "code of conduct" that athletes, band members, etc sign before participating. If you see drug testing as a violation of your rights, how would you see this as different? And, if you sign it, but make the choice to use anyway, then what's the point of having the code? And haven't you gone back on your word? :thinking:

You present a very valid point, but as I said before, it will first be introduced as steroid testing, but I don't think schools will keep their word whenever flags are raised about other drug usage. In reality, they should, it's the right thing to do in order to help a student in need, but at the same time I'm torn because I think that it isn't right to punish them just because they're athletes and obligated to test. I know that drug testing is the right thing to do to insure the safety of the athletes on the field, but it's just not something that I agree with in high school if it is exclusive to just athletes. Every student, regardless of whether or not they participate, should be held to the same standards as everyone else. The kids who really need the drug testing the most are the ones who don't participate in any extra-curricular activities, especially sports. I think that just testing athletes is a form of discrimination.

rundoe
03-01-2007, 08:42 PM
This was taken all the way to the Supreme, Court of the United States, They determined it was not an invasion of any civil rights , "if the student chose to participate in extra curricular school activities". This includes, UIL, NHS, BAND, FFA, and athletes.

I do not agree with you that the students that "need it most" are the ones that don't participate.

If my son is killed by a drunk driver that does not participate in school activities , or hurt while playing football by someone on steriods, he is hurt or killed just the same.

My opinion is, drug test. Mnay scholls have started this program with amazing results. The kids are on probation and sent to a professional councelor, along with the parents. Thest clean after and your back to whatever it is you want to do.

New Jersey schools have now instigated a drinking test. Extra curricular students are tested on monday, it will detect alcohol use as long as 3 days before.

The goal here, to save lives. Which is more important to me than football or anything else. As a member in the Coalition of Underage Drinking on Williamson County.

I have seen to many of our kids die or be injured. Their future is gone forever. Kids do not make logical choices and anything we can do to prevent any more senceless death or injuries, is upheld by the law and ok by me.

More and more schools are waking up to the fact that drugs are in wide use and growing every day. Unfortunately adults that have beer and drinking parties at thier homes, tend to believe that its ok "as long as they are not driving." Wrong again, Its a gateway drug to harder stuff. Plus it's against the law.

I am a firm believer in my rights and yours, as an American Citizen, however, when your rights intefere with my rights, you have crossed the line. I always say that your rights start at your nose and mine at the end of my fist. Those two should never meet. Just an example.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
Kids do not make logical choices and anything we can do to prevent any more senceless death or injuries, is upheld by the law and ok by me.

I am a firm believer in my rights and yours, as an American Citizen, however, when your rights intefere with my rights, you have crossed the line.

To combat your second point first, you have to uphold the rights of everyone, not just yours, in an equal and fair fashion to everyone involved. I do see where you're coming from, and I'm not arguing your reasoning, but I do have my own.

Now, to your first point about kids not making logical choices, I went through high school never drinking or doing drugs. I spent my weekends at home working on the farm and spending time with my group of friends who shared the same ideals as me. If you're going to point the finger at anyone, point it at the beer companies who constantly promote their products on national television, radio, newspapers, and billboards. Blame the parents who set the example to our youth that drinking is okay. Blame the parents who don't read their kids the Bible or wake them up on Sunday mornings to take them to church. It's not that our youth is too stupid to know better, it's just that many are following the examples set forth by the adults closest to our lives. I know my parents didn't drink or do drugs, and it in turn influenced me to not do so either. I'm still in college and I don't go out and party and get drunk, and the influence to do so at this time of my life is much greater than anything that I experienced in high school. I hope that I'm as beneficial of an influence on my children as my parents have been on me. I place the blame on the parents, not on the people who are my age, because it is the adults who make them feel that it is alright.

LH Panther Mom
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
I place the blame on the parents, not on the people who are my age, because it is the adults who make them feel that it is alright. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've spoken with my kids at length and I believe have provided them with knowledge and led by my example. And should the time come for them to have to make that choice, I can only pray that they remember. But, sometimes peer pressure can overcome even the best parental/adult examples. For some, drug testing may be the best deterrent - and may give them the reason they need to say NO. "My momma/daddy doesn't want me to" may not have as strong of a influence over their thought process at the time, as "I might fail a drug test and be out for a year".

I'm not for drug testing as a tool for "catching" someone, but rather as a deterrent and/or the chance to learn what could ultimately save their lives down the road.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
03-01-2007, 10:02 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I've spoken with my kids at length and I believe have provided them with knowledge and led by my example. And should the time come for them to have to make that choice, I can only pray that they remember. But, sometimes peer pressure can overcome even the best parental/adult examples. For some, drug testing may be the best deterrent - and may give them the reason they need to say NO. "My momma/daddy doesn't want me to" may not have as strong of a influence over their thought process at the time, as "I might fail a drug test and be out for a year".

I'm not for drug testing as a tool for "catching" someone, but rather as a deterrent and/or the chance to learn what could ultimately save their lives down the road.

Very true, very true. You're right, peer pressure does prevail sometimes, but for some the desire to excell in athletics is more important. It's just a shame that it has came down to the issue of drug testing in schools for our youth of today, this should never even be an issue.