PDA

View Full Version : Tank Johnson + guns = ???

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Maybe I missed something in the story of Tank Johnson and the fact that his home was raided and he was arrested for "having guns". Was he a previous felon and prohibited from owning guns? Were they not registered? Where was the law broken and why was he arrested? The sports media seems to still be making a pretty big deal about this and I think I may be missing some fact. As far as I know, it isn't illegal to own guns...no matter HOW many you own as long as they are legal, registered and you have the proper paperwork i.e. if they are class 3, etc. As a avid gun guy, I do not understand why he was arrested...but I have a feeling its because I do not know all the facts on the specific case.

Adidas410s
02-28-2007, 01:58 PM
The guns were registered in Arizona...not Illinois. There are a few other specifics but I would have to look them up before stating anything else.

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 02:02 PM
so what exactly are the legalities of that? Did not think that was illegal. Maybe an FFL transfer is required to new state of residence? I lived in AZ, have a pistol I bought new there from a local gun shop...is it now an illegal pistol because I reside in Texas? Each state has different gun laws........Wonder if Illinois is one of the states w/ stiff gun laws? Arizona was great...open carry state!!

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 02:06 PM
Johnson, who had been convicted of a misdemeanor weapons offense last year in Cook County, was charged with illegally possessing weapons without a valid firearm owners identification card, Gurnee and Lake County officials said.

Two of the guns were assault rifles. You know, the kind that have no place in the hands of civilians.

Sun Times report (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/174082,CST-SPT-tank15.article)

Adidas410s
02-28-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
so what exactly are the legalities of that? Did not think that was illegal. Maybe an FFL transfer is required to new state of residence? I lived in AZ, have a pistol I bought new there from a local gun shop...is it now an illegal pistol because I reside in Texas? Each state has different gun laws........Wonder if Illinois is one of the states w/ stiff gun laws? Arizona was great...open carry state!!

I don't know the specifics of Illinois gun laws but I would venture a guess that the fact that unregistered assault rifles were seized had something to do with it. Some people question, "Why does he have these in his home?" I would rather know, "Were these guns locked up and properly stored away?" Storing the guns at home is the logical place to put them IMO.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I don't know the specifics of Illinois gun laws but I would venture a guess that the fact that unregistered assault rifles were seized had something to do with it. Some people question, "Why does he have these in his home?" I would rather know, "Were these guns locked up and properly stored away?" Storing the guns at home is the logical place to put them IMO.

From the article:
''There were loaded weapons, and some were accessible,'' Gurnee Police chief Robert Jones said.

Not sure which they are speaking of.

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Johnson, who had been convicted of a misdemeanor weapons offense last year in Cook County, was charged with illegally possessing weapons without a valid firearm owners identification card, Gurnee and Lake County officials said.

Two of the guns were assault rifles. You know, the kind that have no place in the hands of civilians.

Sun Times report (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/174082,CST-SPT-tank15.article) oh Blasto, dont tell me youre one of THOSE people......the "evil assult rifle" soap box preachers? A gun is a gun is a gun, and whether it holds 6 rounds or 30, it'll still kill someone and can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Guns don't kill people, people do.

On a side note..... a "valid firearms owner's identification card" I'm assuming that Illinois has pretty stout gun laws.

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I will be purchasing a pistol some time soon...

trying to think of what kind to get...

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
so basically he had been charged w/ a previous crime that prohibited him from owning a firearm, and he did not have proper documentation on the ones he had. Owning an assault rifle is not illegal in most states (California is one of the exceptions) and having them in your home, loaded, etc. is no crime either. I myself keep mine locked up in a fireproof gunsafe, but thats in fear of them being stolen, etc. Now, if someone has kids, then guns should be secured in a safe at all times and the children should be educated about firearms.

I think I understand a little better now the specifics of this particular case. Thanks guys! :)

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
oh Blasto, dont tell me youre one of THOSE people......the "evil assult rifle" soap box preachers? A gun is a gun is a gun, and whether it holds 6 rounds or 30, it'll still kill someone and can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Guns don't kill people, people do.

On a side note..... a "valid firearms owner's identification card" I'm assuming that Illinois has pretty stout gun laws.

Ok fine, lets allow bazooka sales too while we're at it. I could do without guns personally, but I no that's a minority opinion. I just don't see why someone needs a working assault rifle. You want one for a collection, cool, but it doesn't need to be operational if it's going to be on display. Recreational use? That deer will have no usable meat once you obliterate it with a semi. :p Just doesn't make sense to me.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 02:24 PM
I enjoy this little tirade when the issue of guns comes up.

BILL: What's this about guns being dangerous?

HANK: That's right. They kill people.

DALE: Guns don't kill people, the government does.

BILL: Hank, guns have been around for years. If they were dangerous, I think someone would have said something.

HANK: Most deaths in the home are from guns and gun accessories.

DALE: Let me ask you this: A guy breaks into your house, but you don't have a gun. How are you going to shoot him?

HANK: Dale, that's straight out of the NRA Magazine August issue.

BOOMHAUER: I tell you what, man, that dang ol' NRA is all right, they got that insurance...somebody blows your dang ol' arm off, you get $20,000, man.

HANK: I can't believe you guys. Dale, the NRA is a Washington D.C.-based organization. Are you telling me you support Washington D.C.?

DALE: That's a thinker.

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok fine, lets allow bazooka sales too while we're at it. I could do without guns personally, but I no that's a minority opinion. I just don't see why someone needs a working assault rifle. You want one for a collection, cool, but it doesn't need to be operational if it's going to be on display. Recreational use? That deer will have no usable meat once you obliterate it with a semi. :p Just doesn't make sense to me. I hear ya, but the bottom line is, it doesn't have to make sense to you, as it makes sense to plenty of us out there. I'm a law abiding citizen, prior military, and attained it legally...why CAN'T I own one? I enjoy taking it to the range and not having to reload every 15 seconds. I think that some people get "assault rifle" confused w/ "fully auto machine gun" alot. A full auto can be obtained as well, but they are VERY expensive, and there is ALOT of paperwork, and govermental red tape to go through to get one. I feel that most people that preach about the "evil assault rifles" are just not very educated on the subject matter. Not saying that you fall into this nitche, but most do. Bottom line, the 2nd ammendment affords me the right to bear arms. It does not dictate what arms I can and cannot bear. It is legislation from uneducated people in high places that are TRYING to dictate that. Honestly, the whole assault weapons ban that was in place.....do you know exactly what it did? It did not prevent these weapons from being purchased by civilians, it just made them more expensive to obtain....which..the conspiricy theorist in me thinks was the gov. being in bed w/ the gun manufactorers..but thats just me..but it did nothing...so thank the gov. on that one...but now I'm going off on a rant...so I'll end here. Thank you for the engaging conversation, I enjoy tossing ideas back and forth and getting other peoples' perspectives on things of this nature. :)

themsu97
02-28-2007, 02:44 PM
cannot use the Constitution and the Bill of Rights to justify anything since most people have no idea what the rights are anyways...
I myself do not own a gun and probably never will...wife is not a fan... but people have the right to legally own one... and the media is blowing this way out of porpotion but look at the Anna Nicole thing... it was the media does... they sensationalize everything... drama sells...

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
and the media is blowing this way out of porpotion but look at the Anna Nicole thing... it was the media does... they sensationalize everything... drama sells...

Like George Lopez says, "Mexicans shave their heads every day, you don't read any stories on the front page about that" or something to that effect...
(that's in response to that Brittany Spears chick shaving her head, just incase any of you have been living in a cave the last few weeks)...

I have a 270, 22 and a 12 guage... fixin' to add a pistol in there somewheres...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
All I have to say is that I have every right to own a gun, as does every other mentally stable adult with a clean criminal record in America. It was included in the Bill of Rights, which means that our right to own a gun is untouchable. There have been proper legal measures to provide a level of safety for the American public. If you're going to play the card that guns are dangerous and kill people, let's outlaw knives, axes, forks, bow and arrows, or anything that could be used as a weapon, because it's just too much of a risk to have them around. Let's throw in cars while we're at it, because people do run other people over, and we can't be having that. :hand:

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
All I have to say is that I have every right to own a gun, as does every other mentally stable adult with a clean criminal record in America. It was included in the Bill of Rights, which means that our right to own a gun is untouchable. There have been proper legal measures to provide a level of safety for the American public. If you're going to play the card that guns are dangerous and kill people, let's outlaw knives, axes, forks, bow and arrows, or anything that could be used as a weapon, because it's just too much of a risk to have them around. Let's throw in cars while we're at it, because people do run other people over, and we can't be having that. :hand:

we must destory al of the birds too, because they may get the flu...

let's blow up Africa while we're at it, because they have a buncha aids there...

BullFrog Dad
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

trying to think of what kind to get... If it's for home protection forget the pistol and get a pump 12 gauge with an 18" barrel and 00 buckshot for your load. No other weapon has the same dropping power.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
we must destory al of the birds too, because they may get the flu...

let's blow up Africa while we're at it, because they have aids there...

And every stinkin' monkey on the planet, because they might have ebola.

Blastoderm55
02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
And every stinkin' monkey on the planet, because they might have ebola.

OR RAGE!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
I've got gas. That is the deadliest weapon of all.

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
If it's for home protection forget the pistol and get a pump 12 gauge with an 18" barrel and 00 buckshot for your load. No other weapon has the same dropping power.

already have a good ole fashion pump 12-guage... I'd just rather do as little as possible to my room or wherever it takes place... you know, couple of drops of blood on the carpet is okay... big ole hole in my wall, no bueno...

I'd actually like it for protection, fun (target shooting) and taking it hunting with me... a lot easier to blast a 350-pound hog in the head with a pistol if you jump him and he charges...

Blastoderm55
Originally posted by BuffyMars
I've got gas. That is the deadliest weapon of all.

CONGRATS ON THE BABY! :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
Like George Lopez says, "Mexicans shave their heads every day, you don't read any stories on the front page about that" or something to that effect...
(that's in response to that Brittany Spears chick shaving her head, just incase any of you have been living in a cave the last few weeks)...

:clap: :clap: LOL! :D

OMG ROAST BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evillol: :evillol:

oh and I need a gun :devil:

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

OMG ROAST BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evillol: :evillol:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 03:09 PM
CONGRATS ON THE BABY! :clap: :clap:

Hahaha!!! :D :D :D

Don't give Terry any ideas. :doh:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 03:10 PM
already have a good ole fashion pump 12-guage... I'd just rather do as little as possible to my room or wherever it takes place... you know, couple of drops of blood on the carpet is okay... big ole hole in my wall, no bueno...

I'd actually like it for protection, fun (target shooting) and taking it hunting with me... a lot easier to blast a 350-pound hog in the head with a pistol if you jump him and he charges...

I would say go with a Ruger .357 revolver or a Ruger 9mm. If it's any type of pistol, you can't really beat a Ruger...

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I would say go with a Ruger .357 revolver or a Ruger 9mm. If it's any type of pistol, you can't really beat a Ruger...

hmmm, I was lookin' at smith and wesson, I'll give Ruger a looksee... I'm by no means done shopping yet, that guy down on the corner says he has a buncha of different brands at his secret place...

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW LOL! He is so crazy!

Fotbol
02-28-2007, 03:12 PM

trying to think of what kind to get... Glock 40, Sig 357, Berretta 9mm just to name a few that I have, they are great guns, and yes I do have a Concealed handgun license.

Fotbol
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
I would say go with a Ruger .357 revolver or a Ruger 9mm. If it's any type of pistol, you can't really beat a Ruger... Glock is a helluva gun

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
LOL! He is so crazy!

FEMA - Find Every Mexican Available

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Glock is a helluva gun

As far as quality and price are concerned, I'll take a Ruger any day.

BuffyMars
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM

Hahahaha!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just peed a little. :D

Fotbol
02-28-2007, 03:18 PM
As far as quality and price are concerned, I'll take a Ruger any day. Copperas Cove has a Gun shop where you can get a brand new Glock pretty reasonable, I paid 400.00 for one of mine a couple of years ago, my state trooper friend introduced me to the owner.

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM

GO TO SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Want me to get the happy juice? :D:D:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol
Copperas Cove has a Gun shop where you can get a brand new Glock pretty reasonable, I paid 400.00 for one of mine a couple of years ago, my state trooper friend introduced me to the owner.

Prices on guns have gone up a lot since a few years ago though...

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM
GO TO SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Want me to get the happy juice? :D:D:D

haha, I cracked up to that...

"here, your record is eleven... 8... 9... here I'll take a few with you"

"once there was this lady, and she killed all of her kids... YOU WANT ME TO TAKE YOU TO HER, I WILL, SHE'S IN THE BACK, WITH THE CHUPA-CABRA"

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
haha, I cracked up to that...

"here, your record is eleven... 8... 9... here I'll take a few with you"

"once there was this lady, and she killed all of her kids... YOU WANT ME TO TAKE YOU TO HER, I WILL, SHE'S IN THE BACK, WITH THE CHUPA-CABRA"

What about the grandma and the Amber Alert? ROFL!

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:25 PM
What about the grandma and the Amber Alert? ROFL!

ha, that was funny...

"your eyes are not as good as mine, f***ing-sh**"

Gobbla2001
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
hmmm, I thinks I like the look of that ruger 45... wonder how the performance is

pirate4state
02-28-2007, 03:27 PM
ha, that was funny...

"your eyes are not as good as mine, f***ing-sh**"

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

:evillol: :evillol:

You are gonna get both of us in trouble!! :p :p :p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-28-2007, 03:41 PM
hmmm, I thinks I like the look of that ruger 45... wonder how the performance is

Never shot a Ruger I wasn't satisfied with...

IHStangFan
02-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Never shot a Ruger I wasn't satisfied with... on the Glock issue.....I myself wanted a lightweight, pistol, quality, etc. etc. I am not a fan of Glock as I wanted it in a .40 and Glock 40s are notorious for the excess of head spacing in the chamber which when running hot loads tends to ...well..blow the side off of the pistol in your hand...I opted for the Springfield XD40 in 4" and love it. I did look at Rugers yesterday though and think I might want one.