PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales makes a decision

44INAROW
02-27-2007, 05:29 PM
www.victoriaadvocate.com

Lock tabbed as new Gonzales AD/head football coach
February 27, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.

Ricky Lock is no stranger to Gonzales football. He followed the Apaches while he was the athletic director and head football coach at Runge and coached against them when he was the athletic director and head football coach at Elgin.

"I was always impressed by Gonzales," Lock said. "I thought and still feel that it has a lot of potential. The teams always had talent and the kids played hard. I think it can be a gold mine. If you can get the kids to buy into what you're doing and continue to make progress, it can be an outstanding place to play football."

Lock will have a chance to make the most of Gonzales' potential after being named athletic director and head football coach at Monday night's meeting of the Gonzales school district board of trustees.

Lock, who is currently the boys athletic coordinator and head football coach at Class 2A Woodville, received a unanimous vote from the trustees to replace Bruce Salmon, who resigned in December after five seasons at Gonzales.

Lock was selected from a group of three finalists that also included Cotulla athletic director and head football coach Marcus Booker and Groesbeck athletic director and head football coach Richey Cutrer.

"I believe coach Lock will make a very positive impact on our Gonzales ISD athletic programs," said Steven Ebell, superintendent of the Gonzales school district. "Coach Lock has an outstanding record of success everywhere he has served. I believe he will bring this same level of success to Gonzales."

Lock has been a head coach for 11 seasons at Runge, Elgin and Woodville and has an overall record of 70-46 that includes nine playoff appearances and two trips to the quarterfinals. He was also an assistant coach at Bartlett, Rusk, Houston North Shore and Huntsville. Lock led Woodville to the bi-district playoffs in 2004 and the district championship in 2005. Woodville went 4-6 last season.

Gonzales lost its first six games last season before going 3-1 in District 29-3A competition and finishing second behind Cuero. The Apaches lost to Ingleside in the Division I bi-district playoffs and finished with a 3-8 record.

Lock hopes to begin work at Gonzales by the middle of March.

"I want to take it to the next level," Lock said. "I want the kids to know what kind of brand of football we're going to play. Our goal is to win championships and that's saying something when you're in a district with Cuero and all of the tradition it has. We want to win a district championship and go from there."