PDA

View Full Version : Young people increasingly self-absorbed

burnet44
02-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Study: Young people increasingly self-absorbed

Study finds selfishness of college students may harm relationships

11:05 PM CST on Monday, February 26, 2007
From Wire Reports

All the effort to boost children's self-esteem may have backfired and produced a generation of college students who are more narcissistic than their Gen-X predecessors, according to a new study.

And the Internet, with all its MySpace and YouTube braggadocio, is letting that self-regard blossom even more, said the analysis, "Egos Inflating Over Time."

NARCISSISM METER
The Narcissistic Personality Inventory asks for responses to such statements as:

• "If I ruled the world, it would be a better place."

• "I think I am a special person"

• "I can live my life any way I want to."
In the study released today, researchers warn that a rising ego rush could bring personal and social problems for the Millennial Generation, also called Gen Y. People with an inflated sense of self tend to have less interest in emotionally intimate bonds and can lash out when rejected or insulted.

"We need to stop endlessly repeating 'You're special' and having children repeat that back," said the study's lead author, San Diego State University psychology professor Jean Twenge. "Kids are self-centered enough already."

She and four other researchers examined the responses of 16,475 college students nationwide who completed an evaluation called the Narcissistic Personality Inventory between 1982 and 2006. By 2006, they said, two-thirds of the students had above-average scores, 30 percent more than in 1982.

Still, traits of narcissism have increased by moderate but significant amounts, said Dr. Twenge, who last year published a book titled Generation Me: Why Today's Young American are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled – and More Miserable Than Ever Before.

Some of the rise in narcissism was probably caused by self-esteem programs that many elementary schools adopted in the 1980s, the study suggested. It noted that preschools began to have children sing a song to the tune of "Frère Jacques" that proclaims: "I am special, I am special. Look at me."

The narcissism report is under review for publication in a scholarly journal, which would give it the stamp of academic recognition it now lacks. It was released, Dr. Twenge said, to coincide with the upcoming paperback edition of her book and with a workshop today at which she will discuss how college students approach education.

Some analysts have commended today's young people for increased commitment to volunteer work. But Dr. Twenge viewed even this phenomenon skeptically, noting that many high schools require community service and many youths feel pressure to list such endeavors on college applications.

Other trends such as permissive parenting, increased materialism and the fascination with celebrities and reality TV shows may also heighten self-regard, said the University of Georgia's W. Keith Campbell, a study co-author.

But Dr. Campbell did note that narcissism can have benefits, suggesting it could be useful in meeting new people "or auditioning on American Idol."

pirate4state
02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
LMAO!

Yeah, your special alright. :rolleyes: :devil: :D

Rabbit'93
02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Jeez...it took a study to figure that out. Look at the way many parent today. The kids almost have an equal say in the family. No wonder kids these days think they're all special.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2007, 10:10 AM
The study says it is because of the way the kids were taught in the 80's I disagree

IMO It has more to do with the fact alot of these kids were raised by adults who were teens in 60's and 70's. That generation fair or not began the change in the structure in parental/Child relationships.

They were the first as a GENERATION who really bucked the system and I think more of them raised their child in the same style and it begat a me first attitude

Phil C
02-27-2007, 11:01 AM
DON'T BE SELFISH!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

PurpleFreddy
02-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The study says it is because of the way the kids were taught in the 80's I disagree

IMO It has more to do with the fact alot of these kids were raised by adults who were teens in 60's and 70's. That generation fair or not began the change in the structure in parental/Child relationships.

They were the first as a GENERATION who really bucked the system and I think more of them raised their child in the same style and it begat a me first attitude

Hmmmm ... I was raised in the '70s ... how come I'm not that way? Maybe because my parents AND my school demanded similar traits and I suffered similar consequences.

But it is not as simple as "it's the system's fault" or "it's the parents fault." It is much more complicated. As a teacher, I agree with the premise of the study. That's probably why I get a little too excited when I encounter students who buck this trend.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Hmmmm ... I was raised in the '70s ... how come I'm not that way? Maybe because my parents AND my school demanded similar traits and I suffered similar consequences.

But it is not as simple as "it's the system's fault" or "it's the parents fault." It is much more complicated. As a teacher, I agree with the premise of the study. That's probably why I get a little too excited when I encounter students who buck this trend.

I am not saying the parents are at fault..I am also not saying ALL parents raised their kids that way

But you cannot deny the correlation between the 60's and 70's teen who was more rebelious to their parents than any other generation in the US before and how they raise their own kids. IMO that is not just a coincidence

BuffyMars
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
I know everytime I pass I mirror I think,"Daaaaaaaang, that ho is fine!"

:tongue::devil: :tongue:

Blastoderm55
02-27-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars

Heh, that nearly made me spit sunflower seeds all over my monitor. :p

Txbroadcaster

uhh no comment

pirate4state

ROFLMAO!! :evillol: :evillol:

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2007, 12:03 PM

U dont ever just pass a mirror..you stop and set up shop

Blastoderm55
02-27-2007, 12:03 PM

Sounds a lot like my gal. :p

BuffyMars
02-27-2007, 12:05 PM

Hey! In my defense...I don't know many women who don't take time to get ready! :tongue:

And you know me better than that...I hate mirrors. :hand:

mustang59
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy

Like you, I was raised in the 70s and am now raising my own kids (in McKinney!) in a very traditional way. Most parents I know are trying to instill traditional values. No doubt you see kids from both sides of the spectrum since you're a teacher and see the best and worst. Kids today may very well be more self-absorbed, but I don't think we're really in danger of a generation of people who don't care about others.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.

nah..ur just a legend in your own mind

DaHop72
02-27-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of a big deal. People know me. No, that would be juggs.:D :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
I own many leather-bound books. My apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Txbroadcaster
02-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I own many leather-bound books. My apartment smells of rich mahogany.

LOL u beat me to it

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-27-2007, 01:14 PM
LOL u beat me to it

I'm man-tastic.