PDA

View Full Version : Play virtual GM for the Texans...

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 05:19 PM
What would you do if you were running the Texans right now? Draft's coming up, along with free agency. You have the eighth pick in the draft and a couple of starters headed for free agency.

This is what the draft's shaping up to look like right now:
link (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html)

Realistically, Russell, Peterson, Anderson, Branch and Adams all have a shot of falling to eighth. Barring a miracle, Thomas and Johnson should both be long gone by the fifth pick.

If you plan on trading up or down with your pick, here's the draft value chart:
link (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/pick_value_chart.htm)
It shows each pick and point value for that pick. The Texans' first round pick (eighth) is worth 1400 points, their second-round pick is worth 500, third 230, etc. So if you wanted to trade up to the third overall pick (worth 2200 points) for a shot at Joe Thomas, you'd have to give up your first-rounder (1400), second-rounder (500), and third-rounder (230) to even be in the negotiations. And the Browns may still ask for another pick or two just to even out the trade a little more.

Oh, and Texans have all their picks except their sixth-rounder. No extra picks.

Also, here are your players who will be free agents as of next month. A few starters in there. You don't have to let us know what you'd do with every single player, just which ones you'd want to focus on getting back and if there are any other free agents you'd go after.

Alexander, Roc DB RFA
Anderson, Charlie LB RFA
Anderson, David WR ERFA
Bedell, Brad OT UFA
Brown, C.C. S ERFA
Bruener, Mark TE UFA
Dalton, Lional DT UFA
Dayne, Ron RB UFA
Earl, Glenn S RFA
Evans, Troy LB UFA
Gado, Samkon RB ERFA
Jackson, Scott OG ERFA
Kalu, N.D. DE UFA
Leach, Vonta FB RFA
Lewis, Derrick WR ERFA
Maddox, Anthony DT RFA
Malone, Alfred DE ERFA
McCleon, Dexter CB UFA
McKenzie, Chris CB ERFA
Moulds, Eric WR UFA
Orr, Shantee LB UFA
Peek, Antwan DE UFA
Polk, DaShon LB UFA
Rainer, Wali LB UFA
Salaam, Ephraim OT UFA
Sanders, Lewis CB UFA
Scott, Guss DB RFA
Stanley, Chad P UFA
Steele, Ben TE RFA
Walter, Kevin WR UFA

If you want to go into detail, there's the tools. If not, just tell me which positions or players you think they need.

And one more thing, don't try to trade the eighth overall pick plus David Carr for the second overall pick. Carr's maybe worth a fifth-rounder or a box of Snickers. Depends on how hungry the other GM is on that given day. Sure, he's a starting QB who could blossom in the right situation, but be reasonable. He hasn't shown us anything just yet.

carter08
02-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Gotta go with a DB. That is the biggest weakness on the Texans Defense.

Reggie Nelson OR trade down and get Landry

wedo
02-26-2007, 08:07 PM
IMO if Adrian Peterson is still on the board when the Texans are up they can't afford to pass him up! He would fit in well in that zone running game! Then I would do whatever it takes to get Jeff Garcia and in the later rounds pick up a QB, DB, OL. Thats what i would do!

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I'm going to base my draft completely on Scott Wright's. If a player's within three spots of where I'm drafting in the mock draft (i.e. I have the 17th pick, the player is drafted 14th or lower in the mock), then he's my target.

But first, I'll start with free agency. Pick up a mid-level, solid OT like Mike Gandy and try to re-sign WR David Andersen and OLB Shantee Orr.

In the draft, I'm targeting OL and a safety or two. I'd also like to pick up a RB, an OLB, and a disruptive, athletic, pass-rushing DE if possible. Also, if there are enough picks in the draft or the value is there, take a shot at a QB.

If Adrian Peterson slipped, I'd stay at number eight and take him. But he won't, so I'm trading down to a team that's desperate for a QB. Jacksonville, at number 17, would probably be willing to give up their second and fourth picks to move up. I'm fine with that, as long as LaRon Landry's stock slips a bit and I can still grab him.

First Round (17th pick... from Jax)- LaRon Landry, S
Second Round (39th)- Justin Blalock, OG
Second Round (48th... from Jax)- Ryan Kalil, C... I'm not a Steve McKinney hater. Far from it. He's actually one of the few good linemen the Texans have, but this move would allow him to slide back to guard (which I think would suit him much better in Kubiak's system) and give the Texans a guy with the potential to be an all-time great OL (Kalil, not McKinney) without investing a big pick.

After that, it's a crapshoot. I know that I'd want to draft an athletic, disruptive DE that could get upfield and put pressure on the offense. We have enough big bodies on the line, so Justin Hickman would be a great fit. Kenny Irons is also still out there, and I'd also want to get an OLB. Someone who could get from sideline to sideline, maybe Sam Olajubutu or some small school kid later on.

Also, I'd look long and hard at Kevin Kolb.

wedo
02-27-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm going to base my draft completely on Scott Wright's. If a player's within three spots of where I'm drafting in the mock draft (i.e. I have the 17th pick, the player is drafted 14th or lower in the mock), then he's my target.

But first, I'll start with free agency. Pick up a mid-level, solid OT like Mike Gandy and try to re-sign WR David Andersen and OLB Shantee Orr.

In the draft, I'm targeting OL and a safety or two. I'd also like to pick up a RB, an OLB, and a disruptive, athletic, pass-rushing DE if possible. Also, if there are enough picks in the draft or the value is there, take a shot at a QB.

If Adrian Peterson slipped, I'd stay at number eight and take him. But he won't, so I'm trading down to a team that's desperate for a QB. Jacksonville, at number 17, would probably be willing to give up their second and fourth picks to move up. I'm fine with that, as long as LaRon Landry's stock slips a bit and I can still grab him.

Second Round (48th... from Jax)- Ryan Kalil, C... I'm not a Steve McKinney hater. Far from it. He's actually one of the few good linemen the Texans have, but this move would allow him to slide back to guard (which I think would suit him much better in Kubiak's system) and give the Texans a guy with the potential to be an all-time great OL (Kalil, not McKinney) without investing a big pick.

After that, it's a crapshoot. I know that I'd want to draft an athletic, disruptive DE that could get upfield and put pressure on the offense. We have enough big bodies on the line, so Justin Hickman would be a great fit. Kenny Irons is also still out there, and I'd also want to get an OLB. Someone who could get from sideline to sideline, maybe Sam Olajubutu or some small school kid later on.

Also, I'd look long and hard at Kevin Kolb.

Thats good choice! NYJ didn't do so bad with two rookie OL starting last year.

buffalo2006
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Second Round (48th... from Jax)- Ryan Kalil, C

I like the Landry pick, but hopefully Adrian Peterson is still on the board, doubtful, but hopeful. Blalock will not drop drop that far, but he wouldve been a good pick. Kalil had good combine but will not be there in the 3rd round.

If Peterson is there they should take him and try and trade Davis maybe to a team who needs a experienced RB, maybe the Giants who just lost Tiki ad cannot depend on Jacobs to carry the load. Maybe they can pick up the Pettigout since the Giants didnt sign him back.

themsu97
02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
Landry is who I target if Peterson is not there at 8... go after eihter Nate Clemons and or Leonard Davis in free agency...

big daddy russ
02-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by buffalo2006
Second Round (48th... from Jax)- Ryan Kalil, C

I like the Landry pick, but hopefully Adrian Peterson is still on the board, doubtful, but hopeful. Blalock will not drop drop that far, but he wouldve been a good pick. Kalil had good combine but will not be there in the 3rd round.

If Peterson is there they should take him and try and trade Davis maybe to a team who needs a experienced RB, maybe the Giants who just lost Tiki ad cannot depend on Jacobs to carry the load. Maybe they can pick up the Pettigout since the Giants didnt sign him back.
I agree about Peterson, but guards and centers tend to slide a bit because of their position. Only two guards have broken the top 20 picks since the turn of the century-- Michigan's Steve Hutchinson at 17th overall in 2001 and Arkansas' Shawn Andrews at 16th three years ago. By the same token, in the past decade only three centers (Jeff Faine, Nick Mangold, and Chris Spencer) have even been first-round selections.

I really think that either Blalock or Auburn's Ben Grubbs will slide a bit. That's actually why I went after a guard and center instead of a tackle with my two second round picks. Even though those two positions aren't as 'vital' as a bookend left tackle, you can find an all-world C and G in the second and third rounds fairly easily and Houston just needs some good blockers.

I'd actually prefer Grubbs to slip because of his athleticism. Though raw, he's a little quicker than Blalock and would be a better fit for the Texans. But Blalock's size and versatility would be hard to pass over.

buffalo2006
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I hate Texas, but i went and saw their bowl game and Blalock is massive and very strong. He has been a very good lineman in college, but can he make the transition right away like D'Brickshaw did for the jets, because the defense of players are alot quicker and faster in the bigs.
He may not last that long but in which case they need to get a wide reciever. Since they just released Eric Moulds. They need a possession WR with some speed.

themsu97
03-01-2007, 01:54 PM
now that puts the Texans looking at a playmaker... does that mean they draft Ginn if he is there at 8 and not Peterson... maybe the Texans did some of these things because with the Texans having so many options that people may be willing to trade with them and give up more picks in return... which is what the Texans need.... they could still drop down and take a good reciever or Landry or even Ross at corner if they go far enough down (teehee) and then get more 2nd and 3rd round picks and take interior lineman...on both sides of the ball

big daddy russ
03-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
now that puts the Texans looking at a playmaker... does that mean they draft Ginn if he is there at 8 and not Peterson... maybe the Texans did some of these things because with the Texans having so many options that people may be willing to trade with them and give up more picks in return... which is what the Texans need.... they could still drop down and take a good reciever or Landry or even Ross at corner if they go far enough down (teehee) and then get more 2nd and 3rd round picks and take interior lineman...on both sides of the ball
Most mock drafts have Ginn falling to the middle of round one. I think the highest I've seen him is 15 to the Steelers.

I also think Dwayne Jarrett will fall. People are saying that he's been running a 4.7 40, and that will push him down into the second round. He's a big ol' boy and a playmaker, though, and if he's there in the second round would be worth considering.