PDA

View Full Version : Mexican trucks allowed unfettered access to US.

Txbroadcaster
02-26-2007, 01:43 PM
100 companies will have unlimited access to U.S. roads.

Posted: February 23, 2007
2:41 p.m. Eastern
By Jerome R. Corsi
© 2007 WorldNetDaily.com

One hundred Mexican trucking companies will have unlimited access to U.S. roads to haul international cargo as part of a year-long pilot program, the Department of Transportation announced today

In return, 100 U.S. trucking companies will be allowed to operate in Mexico but at a later date.

Calling for congressional hearings, Teamsters General President Jimmy Hoffa compared the announcement to the "Dubai Ports debacle," charging President Bush is "playing a game of Russian roulette on America's highways."

As WND previously reported, the Teamsters Union has strongly protested the opening up of U.S. highways to Mexican trucks, citing safety concerns.

A spokesman for Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., chairman of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development and Related Agencies, told WND the senator plans to hold hearings March 8 on the DOT pilot program.

A statement from Murray's office said she wants "to find out if the administration has really met the safety requirements that the law and the American people demand before long-haul Mexican trucks can travel across all our highways."

A spokeman from the office of Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minn., chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, told WND hearings will most likely be held by Subcommittee on Highways and Transit, chaired by Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore.

Both Oberstar and DeFazio are traveling today and a spokesman from Oberstar's office said the lawmakers have not had a chance yet to confer, so no hearings have yet been scheduled.

Oberstar and DeFazio have posted statements on the homepage of the House Transportation and Infrastructure raising questions about DOT's proposed Mexican truck pilot program.

Todd Spencer, spokesman for the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association, told WND that "to reach a conclusion that the safety regime in Mexico is compatible in any way, shape, or form with what we have here in the U.S. is ignoring reality. Mexico has never had hours-in-service regulations or drug testing of drivers. We still can't verify the accuracy of somebody's Commercial Driver’s License in Mexico for safety or compliance."

Spencer stressed the decision is not just a border decision.

"Once Mexican trucks are in the United States on this pilot program, they can operate everywhere in the U.S.," Spencer told WND. "If some state highway policeman in Vermont or Iowa stops a Mexican commercial truck in their state, they have absolutely no idea of deciding if that vehicle is in compliance with federal safety requirements. Who's going to provide the training or the equipment for state police to verify the legality of a commercial truck from Mexico, in terms of its cargo, its haul, its log book, or even the driver? Local police aren't going to have a clue."

Hoffa cited Mexico's inability to satisfy the DOT Inspector General's requirements for safety that have been mandated to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA.

WND previously reported applications of some 678 Mexican motor carriers seeking long-haul authority to operate about 4,000 vehicles was being held up pending the completed DOT Inspector General's review of proposed FMCSA rules regarding safety reviews for Mexican trucks seeking to operate in the U.S., including rules for on-site safety inspections in Mexico.

The DOT spokesman also affirmed to WND the FMCSA has now drafted regulations that the DOT Inspector General has accepted, after an audit of the enforcement mechanisms and regulations the FMCSA created.

The Teamsters Union posed to WND a series of "unanswered questions," including:

Will the drivers be checked against the terror watch list, or will our borders be open to anyone with a Mexican driver's license?

Will the drivers be required to carry a Mexican passport as U.S. citizens are required to present their passports when entering the country from Mexico?

Will all U.S. standards be applied to Mexican drivers, including the requirement that U.S. drivers undergo regular physicals and meet minimum age requirements?

Will Mexican truck drivers participating in the pilot program be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing in U.S. labs? Who will oversee the collection of random samples for drug and alcohol testing of the Mexican drivers while they are in the U.S.?

Will U.S. wage and hour laws be enforced for Mexican drivers during the pilot program? How will DOT enforce hours of service rules and prevent false log books and fatigued drivers from entering the U.S.?

How can DOT assure the U.S. public that all trucks will be inspected by U.S. officials in Mexico and at the U.S. border when fewer that 10 percent of all Mexican trucks entering the commercial zone are inspected today?
According to a DOT spokesman, the pilot program "is predicated on the notion that Mexican trucks operating in the U.S. under the pilot program will operate pursuant to every single requirement that pertains to U.S. trucks operating in the United States, including both safety and security requirements on both the state and federal level."

DOT has increased its inspection staff by some 270 inspectors to implement the program. Still, DOT plans to continue the on-site inspection activities in Mexico that were announced by DOT Secretary Mary Peters earlier this week in Monterrey, Mexico.

The DOT spokesman confirmed there is no limit to the number of trucks the 100 Mexican trucking companies can operate in the United States. There is no restriction on the roads within the United States that the Mexican trucks can travel once they are admitted in the pilot program at the border.

The Mexican trucks, however, will be limited to carrying international cargo, in that they will be prohibited from stopping at one point in the U.S. destined for another point within the country.

On their return home, Mexican trucks, however, will be allowed to pick up in U.S. cargo originating in the U.S. destined for delivery back to Mexico.

While in the U.S., the Mexican drivers will operate under U.S. rules and regulations, including those controlling hours of time allowed at the wheel without a break.

The DOT spokesman specified that under agreements with Mexico already in effect, Mexican and U.S. commercial driver's licenses will be consider equivalent during the pilot program.

Mexican trucks operating in the United States will be required to have U.S. insurance coverage for all liabilities, including traffic accidents.

"The intent is for the Mexican trucking operations in the U.S. to be indistinguishable from U.S. trucking operations," the DOT spokesperson affirmed, "except that the driver and the truck began their trip in Mexico."

JasperDog94
02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Why not just open the borders?:mad: :mad: :mad:

BuffyMars
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
My gosh! This is crazy! What else today?!?

Bring on the rain, and the hail...and throw in a couple of tornados while your at it! :mad:

burnet44
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
they are open

ok

so we aont gonna check the bodies inside?

Gunieses

"Brilliant"

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 01:57 PM
This is part of the recent restructuring of NAFTA that I've been complaining about so much. And it's only going to get worse. For the past few years, we've been not only strengthening NAFTA, but also have plans in the mix for CAFTA (Central American Free Trade Agreement). We've already got Costa Rica and several other Central countries on board. Right now they're still working on getting some of the countries (Guatemala, Nicaragua, etc) up to the low standards of the trade agreement, but apparently this piece of paper would extend the original precedents of NAFTA down to Columbia. We'll probably to open up all the way down Argentina within 25 years, and the average American income will begin to creep closer to the worldwide average (inflation not accounted for) of $9,000 per household in that time.

Kind of makes you wonder what we'll do if everyone's share of the budget defecit is still at $27k (that's every American's share of the shortfall) when the median income finally starts coming back down to meet up with worldwide levels.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2007, 02:20 PM
We must protect free enterprise and international trade at all costs! :mad:

luvhoops34
02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
This is one of the worst things that could ever happen to the American people. I used to own several big trucks and all this will do is undermine our economy and make things worse(if that's possible)for American truckers.

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
This is one of the worst things that could ever happen to the American people. I used to own several big trucks and all this will do is undermine our economy and make things worse(if that's possible)for American truckers.
Ross Perot doesn't look like such an idiot anymore, does he?

pirate4state
02-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Calling for congressional hearings, Teamsters General President Jimmy Hoffa compared the announcement to the "Dubai Ports debacle," charging President Bush is "playing a game of Russian roulette on America's highways."

They found Jimmy Hoffa?? :confused: :p

JJ7997
02-26-2007, 02:48 PM
When is everybody going to learn that G.W. could care less about the American people and our security. The war on terror is a masquerade. He cares if you are a big campaign contributor and all this foreign outsourcing only helps the big corporate fat cats get a bigger profit margin, thats why nothing will be done with all of the illegal invadors until American people actually get sick of it. Hopefully thats still posssible. Yes, I am an Iraq veteran and am on the border right now so I have a major interest in this issue.

JR2004
02-26-2007, 08:29 PM
Well I voted for Bush, BUT this continued disregard for the safety of people in HIS OWN COUNTRY is ridiculous. When stuff like this happens it comes across to me as the President not caring one single bit about Americans.

Right about now I wish I could have my vote back. I think Kerry would be doing worse right now, but not by a whole lot. Whoever gets elected next, PLEASE for the Love of the Good Lord, let it be someone who actually cares about the people who live in this country.

sinton66
02-26-2007, 09:23 PM
This is a BAD idea in so many ways.......

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 09:25 PM
But it all sounded so good to us when it first came out. That means you and me. The American public were the ones that pushed hardest for NAFTA.

This has nothing to do with a single president or political party. This is something that's been in the making since the 80's. They introduced the idea back then, but Bush Sr. wanted to weigh the options. After doing so, both him and Clinton were on board. But both were losing the presidential election.

Well, they were losing until Ross Perot got on national TV and said that if this passes, you'll hear a massive sucking sound coming out of the Northwest. The sound of all the jobs being sucked from New England, the Ohio River Valley, Michigan, etc into Mexico.

WE wanted NAFTA, WE thought it would make us richer, so WE didn't listen. As a matter of fact, WE thought Perot was crazy, and his popularity dropped significantly, leading him to drop out of the race for a few weeks.

It's not Republican or Democrat or Bush Jr. (the guy who strengthened it) or Clinton (the guy who basically started the original bill) that's the problem. It's us. Plain and simple. This is what WE wanted and this is what WE got. WE made our own bed now WE get to lie in it.

This is the exact reason I think Bush bashers and Lib haters alike are complete idiots. This is why I'm glad we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

Gobbla2001
02-26-2007, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
But it all sounded so good to us when it first came out. That means you and me. The American public were the ones that pushed hardest for NAFTA.

This has nothing to do with a single president or political party. This is something that's been in the making since the 80's. They introduced the idea back then, but Bush Sr. wanted to weigh the options. After doing so, both him and Clinton were on board. But both were losing the presidential election.

Well, they were losing until Ross Perot got on national TV and said that if this passes, you'll hear a massive sucking sound coming out of the Northwest. The sound of all the jobs being sucked from New England, the Ohio River Valley, Michigan, etc into Mexico.

WE wanted NAFTA, WE thought it would make us richer, so WE didn't listen. As a matter of fact, WE thought Perot was crazy, and his popularity dropped significantly, leading him to drop out of the race for a few weeks.

It's not Republican or Democrat or Bush Jr. (the guy who strengthened it) or Clinton (the guy who basically started the original bill) that's the problem. It's us. Plain and simple. This is what WE wanted and this is what WE got. WE made our own bed now WE get to lie in it.

you're confusing people with the facts, sir, and that is a ROMable offense...

sinton66
02-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

This is the exact reason I think Bush bashers and Lib haters alike are complete idiots. This is why I'm glad we live in a Republic, not a Democracy.

Well, I was never in favor of it.