PDA

View Full Version : legal/insurance question

sahen
02-26-2007, 12:44 AM
alright guys, i wouldnt bother yall about this but i have googled this to death and i can't find an answer...i got a ticket for having an open container this weekend while riding to a party with a friend and i want to know if it is going to effect my auto insurance or not.....im thinking someone on here probably knows so thanks in advance and all....

and no we werent drinking and driving or anything like that...jsut an open container ticket and very bad luck...

kaorder1999
02-26-2007, 12:48 AM
were you driving? I believe only moving violations can affect you...

sahen
02-26-2007, 12:50 AM
i was the passenger however me and my friend's ticket (he was driving) looks identical...so i dont know how they would know the difference?

kaorder1999
02-26-2007, 12:54 AM
that isnt considered a moving violation....dont think it will hurt you! It could be a ticket that would cause some insurance companies to drop you. Anytime you have alcohol inside a vehicle and get caught they will use that against you. Dont think they can raise your rates but they can drop you and then if and when you get on with them again or with anouther insurance company they can use it against you. Ive been wrong about a lot of things before but had a buddy in college that went through this. I dont believe this will end up on your driving record though so I dont think anything will happen

sahen
02-26-2007, 12:54 AM
actually im looking at the ticket it doesnt have passengers and all that listed, so i dont know if it counts as a moving violation....

the violation says "Open container Alcoholic Beverage in motor vehicle"

my friends might have passengers and stuff in it i dunno, they looked the same at a glance, hecould have that stuff filled in....

STANG RED
02-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Its not a moving violation, so it shouldnt effect your insurance. Class C misdemenor I think. About the same as a ticket for an expired inspection sticker.

sahen
02-26-2007, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that isnt considered a moving violation....dont think it will hurt you! It could be a ticket that would cause some insurance companies to drop you. Anytime you have alcohol inside a vehicle and get caught they will use that against you. Dont think they can raise your rates but they can drop you and then if and when you get on with them again or with anouther insurance company they can use it against you. Ive been wrong about a lot of things before but had a buddy in college that went through this. I dont believe this will end up on your driving record though so I dont think anything will happen

great....i wish i would have been drunk now maybe they could have taken me to jail or something and it would have been a violation worth it....this is the only ticket i have ever gotten so im hoping they dont drop me but i guess i should mention it to my parents, that will be fun...oh well, you'd think you'd hit an age where telling them stuff like that wouldnt worry u but alas i live in a household where alcohol is evil, this will be yet another thing to use against me

kaorder1999
02-26-2007, 01:02 AM
i bet you are safe

sahen
02-26-2007, 01:06 AM
while we are on this, anyone know approximately what the fine is for a first time offense w/ a clean record and all....it says its a fine up to 500 bucks, but i am thinkin it will be less than that....

44INAROW
02-26-2007, 08:42 AM
it will show up on a MVR - not sure how or even IF it will affect your insurance rates but if you apply for a job which involves running an MVR - they'll know you got a ticket for open container.......

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by sahen
great....i wish i would have been drunk now maybe they could have taken me to jail or something and it would have been a violation worth it....this is the only ticket i have ever gotten so im hoping they dont drop me but i guess i should mention it to my parents, that will be fun...oh well, you'd think you'd hit an age where telling them stuff like that wouldnt worry u but alas i live in a household where alcohol is evil, this will be yet another thing to use against me

I would have never guessed the last part to be true with you going to Baylor.

theyoefnshow
02-26-2007, 09:35 AM
what if you had a slight collision that was ruled 50/50 at fault and you received the check from THEIR insurance to pay for damages...but never do it get the repair. Then YOU switch insurance carriers (them unknown to any previous damage) and say you were the victim of a hit & run. Is there any way for them to know otherwise??

44INAROW
02-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by theyoefnshow
what if you had a slight collision that was ruled 50/50 at fault and you received the check from THEIR insurance to pay for damages...but never do it get the repair. Then YOU switch insurance carriers (them unknown to any previous damage) and say you were the victim of a hit & run. Is there any way for them to know otherwise??

that would be Insurance Fraud - Plus, insurance companies run what is called CLUE reports - Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Information - and dates, vin# and SS's are entered in this information - sometimes prior claims/losses show up, sometimes they don't

CenTexSports
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
OK, enough is enough. Two posts in two days about people on the downlow stealing. We need to address the quality of posters on this board. Stealing from Wal-Mart and an insurance company. What next, how to gid rid of a not so loved, loved one?

I guess I reluctantly have to agree with Phil C: Common on folks, this is a 3A football board not a how to for criminals.

theyoefnshow
02-26-2007, 09:53 AM
personally, I say bury them in Montana. Nobody would ever look there ;)

sahen
02-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
it will show up on a MVR - not sure how or even IF it will affect your insurance rates but if you apply for a job which involves running an MVR - they'll know you got a ticket for open container.......
what is a MVR?

sahen
02-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I would have never guessed the last part to be true with you going to Baylor. yes, i have great parents except for when it comes to anything to do with alcohol....apparantly i live in sin or something like that....i have had some really funny convos with my mom where she believes she is a failure since both her kids drink even though we both are good kids for the most part...i'd hate to see what she would think if i did some of the things my friends did...ayaya

44INAROW
02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
what is a MVR?
Motor Vehicle Report - aka - running your driving record......

sahen
02-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Motor Vehicle Report - aka - running your driving record......
thats odd, i wasn't even driving...you can even get open container tickets when your walking down the street....oh well, surely if they ran that they would see its the only ticket i have gotten so it shouldnt be too bad...

coiled2strike
02-26-2007, 03:27 PM
if i ever go missing, please check montana

thanks,

mustang04
02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
if i ever go missing, please check montana

thanks, \

up on Brokeback??

coiled2strike
02-26-2007, 03:32 PM
no sir...i'll come back and haunt somebody

mustang59
02-26-2007, 03:40 PM
while we are on this, anyone know approximately what the fine is for a first time offense w/ a clean record and all....it says its a fine up to 500 bucks, but i am thinkin it will be less than that....
Since this is your first offence ask the judge for deferred adjudication. You'll still have to pay the fine and whatever else they throw at you (probation, community service, alcohol awareness), but if you don't get into more trouble it will be dropped from you record. I don't believe this should affect your insurance since you weren't driving.

GreenMonster
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
what if you had a slight collision that was ruled 50/50 at fault and you received the check from THEIR insurance to pay for damages...but never do it get the repair. Then YOU switch insurance carriers (them unknown to any previous damage) and say you were the victim of a hit & run. Is there any way for them to know otherwise?? That is why your new agent is supposed to see your vehicle in person and even take pictures just to cover his posterior just in case someone like you ever decides to try to steal from his company.

mustang59
02-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Insurance companies share info about claims and they ALWAYS check records before paying a claim. Also, some companies would require you to file a police report before paying a claim and you sure don't want to file a false police report.

mustang59
02-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Here is some free advice (and worth every penny) from a parent with a son a couple of years younger than you. You may have done something rather, um, DUMB but you weren't driving drunk and you didn't end up in jail. Wait and see what happens before you tell your parents. I don't think it will be that big of a deal and you might be sparing your folks some unneccesary worrying. And no, I'm not suggesting you lie to your mother and dad, but at your age you can take care of this.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-26-2007, 07:06 PM
yes, i have great parents except for when it comes to anything to do with alcohol....apparantly i live in sin or something like that....i have had some really funny convos with my mom where she believes she is a failure since both her kids drink even though we both are good kids for the most part...i'd hate to see what she would think if i did some of the things my friends did...ayaya

Drinking doesn't make you a bad person, being irresponsible and doing bad things does.

Who-dun-it!!?
02-26-2007, 08:02 PM

In my county its $306.00. And no its not a moving violation.

Who-dun-it!!?
02-26-2007, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by mustang59
Since this is your first offence ask the judge for deferred adjudication. You'll still have to pay the fine and whatever else they throw at you (probation, community service, alcohol awareness), but if you don't get into more trouble it will be dropped from you record. I don't believe this should affect your insurance since you weren't driving.

Doubt the judge will grant Deferred on this one. They won't where I live.

sinton66
02-26-2007, 08:57 PM

Call the court clerk. They can tell you.

sahen
02-26-2007, 10:58 PM
thanks for the help guys!....i think i have things in order now