PDA

View Full Version : Grapevine baseball player dies

kepdawg
02-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Grapevine baseball player dies

10:39 PM CST on Saturday, February 24, 2007

From Staff Reports

Chris Gavora, a 17-year-old varsity baseball player at Grapevine High School, died Saturday, two days after a baseball struck him in the head during warm-ups.

"This is a tremendous loss for our entire school," Grapevine High School Principal Jerry Hollingsworth said in a written statement. "We grieve and hurt with the Gavora family.”

The rare combination of missing safety netting and a line drive in a batting cage led to the injury Thursday. Officials were investigating the cause of the accident and reviewing safety procedures.

According to a statement from the Grapevine-Colleyville school district, Chris was pitching to a teammate in one of the school's batting cages. He was standing behind the L-shaped pitcher's net designed to protect pitchers throwing batting practice.

"Preliminary findings indicate that secondary protective screen netting was not in place," the statement said. "A teammate in [another] cage hit a line drive that went through an opening in the net, across an open area, and through the other batting cage's opening."

Chris received first aid at the scene and was transported by ambulance to the hospital. He underwent surgery at Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas on Thursday.

His family has declined to comment through the school. Funeral arrangements were pending, according to the school district.

A crisis counseling team was at Grapevine High School to help students and staff cope. Counselors will remain on hand as long as necessary, the district said.

"This is an incredibly difficult time for all involved," Superintendent Kay Waggoner said in a written statement Saturday, "and I want to extend our deepest sympathies on behalf of the GCISD family.”

piratebg
02-24-2007, 11:58 PM
OMG That is very, very sad. My thoughts and prayers for the family, friends, and teammates of that young man.

Crow22
02-25-2007, 12:07 AM
Prayers from Needville.

Terrible tragedy.

Bandera YaYa
02-25-2007, 01:12 AM
This hurts my heart......God Bless his family and friends..... :(

loyalleopard
02-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Prayers to the family from Texakana.

westcoast54
02-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Thoughts and prayers from a former Mustang, class of 89.

Phantom Stang
02-25-2007, 12:58 PM
Deepest sympathies from this Haltom parent.

LHMom
02-25-2007, 01:12 PM
God be with this young man's family and friends. Sending love and prayers from Liberty Hill back to my hometown.