PDA

View Full Version : Wharton?

Crow22
02-24-2007, 10:19 PM
What's with Coach Roberts not getting his contract renewed?

tigerpride_08
02-24-2007, 11:14 PM
not to sure...:thinking:

maestro
02-24-2007, 11:37 PM
heck, read the wharton paper....

still doesn't make sense......
whole front page.......but nothing that made sense......

school board politics???

raider red......anything???

maestro
02-24-2007, 11:38 PM
maybe wharton is tired of winning???

tigerpride_08
02-25-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by maestro
heck, read the wharton paper....

still doesn't make sense......
whole front page.......but nothing that made sense......

school board politics???

raider red......anything???

i read the article but i dunno what to make of it...i guess im happy to be there next year for his last year...

raider red 2000
03-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i read the article but i dunno what to make of it...i guess im happy to be there next year for his last year...

not sure what to say.

i have heard that R Roberts wont be back coaching next year.

Heard that he is being reassigned :(

not sure what is next for the school or the coaches.

fireman1
03-25-2007, 07:34 PM
yea I wonder the same thing I have no clue about anything I guess we gotta see what comes of it

tigerpride_08
03-25-2007, 07:42 PM
the trainer is even leaving now...i wish this wouldn't have come my senior year but i totally understand what the coaches decide to do....

raider red 2000
03-25-2007, 07:48 PM
the trainer is even leaving now...i wish this wouldn't have come my senior year but i totally understand what the coaches decide to do....

i think she decidede that before the deal with the HC.

Head girls BB and the trainer are both leaving.

tigerpride_08
03-25-2007, 07:49 PM
crazy times in Wharton now...

raider red 2000
03-25-2007, 07:53 PM
yes and it sucks.

i just wish someone would say what the problem was.

football 2nd in district
Volleyball- tied 3rd
boys bb- district champs
girls- 2nd in district
baseball- leading district
softball- leading district- i think
tennis- 3rd in state team tennis
swimming- district champs (4a district)

fireman1
03-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Yea it would make everything alittle easier if it was explained why the changes.

maestro
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
wow...

raider red.....those are great looking results from this year....

maestro
03-25-2007, 09:35 PM
this from another site....

wharton goes straight tennis and swimming....creates a " country club " school..

FUNNY!!!!!!!!

i still like raider red's posting of those results.......

looks like success to me....

lepfan
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Maybe someones's son or son-in-law needs a job? ;)
DISCLAIMER:
That comment is just a joke...as I know NOTHING about that place.

maestro
03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
hey....don't joke..

i've heard stories like that also.....

LogieJoeBean001
03-28-2007, 06:16 AM
It is official. The job posting is on the WISD homepage. The info passed on to the athletic boys was that there was a reassignment so Roberts would finish out this year and not be back next year. Don't know what the paper said, didn't see it.

Don't think son would stay if dad leaves. Just my thoughts on that scenario. Rumors are just that, rumors! I've heard plenty myself. I've heard all kinds of stories that most all of the other coaches were leaving and stuff like that...can't believe what you hear. I only believe what I actually see and that won't be until new AD is hired. Of course, if new AD wants to bring his own staff then who knows what is going to happen.... It's definitely a "wait and see" kind of deal. Whatever happens, I hope it is for the best for Wharton's athletic program(s). There are many fine young people in all of the programs and they are deserving of good things happening to, and for, them. This is an unfortunate situation for all involved.

The deal with the trainer is that there were other "issues" not having anything at all to do with athletics or the job she was doing as trainer.

These are very confusing times indeed! :confused:

maestro
03-28-2007, 07:01 AM
on a positive note...

morning paper says..

wharton boys...9

needville.....5 in baseball....

Antec
03-28-2007, 12:52 PM
http://www.journal-spectator.com/sports.shtml

maestro
03-28-2007, 03:41 PM
reads like wharton school board found a loophole..

tigerpride_08
03-28-2007, 06:50 PM
reads like wharton school board found a loophole..

i wish they would tell Coach what is was that he did wrong...to me, its just taking the easy way out...one of our basketball players said none of the school board ever came to watch the games and i guess word gets out that one of our players hair is to long...they finally come to a game just to see that the hair is to long and tell the player to get a hair cut...:confused:

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
they finally come to a game just to see that the hair is to long and tell the player to get a hair cut...:confused: The school board member(s) told a player to get a hair cut???? :doh: :doh: :doh:

fireman1
03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
i wish they would tell Coach what is was that he did wrong...to me, its just taking the easy way out...one of our basketball players said none of the school board ever came to watch the games and i guess word gets out that one of our players hair is to long...they finally come to a game just to see that the hair is to long and tell the player to get a hair cut...:confused:

well for (1) i know for a fact one of the school board members went to almost every home game boys/girls..or atleast i have been to many games which i have seen the school board member present...(2)the school board member explained that the reasoning for complaining was that the handbook states that the hair can be a certain length...so he stated that if the schools rules says the hair can be long then there is no problem..but if you are going to have rules then the athletic system should follow them...
..ive also seen school board members at different sports such as tennis/softball/baseball/football/girls and boys basketball/volleyball/track last yr. and probably swimming..

JT44
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
the victoria advocate had an article about it, he ran one hell of a competitive and winning program,

maestro
03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
i think that the overall theme of these posts are that it was always COMPETITIVE...

fireman1
03-28-2007, 09:10 PM
you are right about Wharton being competitive...but Wharton has always had great athletes come through....which with the athletes alone Wharton is going to be competitive and succeed...Coach Roberts has a 49-47 record and is not just an outstanding record with the teams Wharton has had in the past...i like Coach Roberts...dont get me wrong..im just saying we have always had loads of talent come through and usually get stuck at the first round of playoffs...now speaking of other sports...yes we are very good at them and are very successful..but how much of that success comes from Roberts??..i think Wharton is just looking for a change and that time has come...

fireman1
03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
"Reeve has compiled a 156-31-4 record in his 16 years as a head coach"
.he also has a 48-5 record at Cuero...damn good record by Cuero teams that we have either beaten..or teams that have beaten us by 1 point..Cuero was damn good and so were we..why cant Wharton do anything with their teams??...we played Cuero tight in his first three years and his teams make it deep in the playoffs...how come we couldn't even make playoffs last year when we only lost by 1 point??...or when we lost to Cuero the year before by 1 and lost to Yoakum in the 1st. round by about 20pts in playoffs...Reeve is an excellent coach...and his program and the results show it..

i was just reading through and saw this and thought that this was interesting...and should be thought about...Wharton has great teams...but never do anything with them!!

maestro
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
you need to redefine " good " for your own sake....

in high school football total records are based on:

pre-district scheduling...

cupcake city??

and how competitive your district is.....

other than yoakum....how many other cuero district teams have trully been competitve??

meaning....did anyone other than cuero make long successful playof runs???

there are no cupcakes in wharton's district.

a town could have a very solid ball club and not even come close to breaking even in district.

so let's watch the over used word " good " or " great " talent.

i'm trying to remember...but i believe that wharton drew burnet twice in a row one year.......and burnet was on everyone's number one list....

ok....i'm sure that fanned the wharton citizen's hearts...

g$$
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM

in high school football total records are based on:

pre-district scheduling...

cupcake city??

and how competitive your district is.....

other than yoakum....how many other cuero district teams have trully been competitve??

a town could have a very solid ball club and not even come close to breaking even in district.

i'm trying to remember...but i believe that wharton drew burnet twice in a row one year.......and burnet was on everyone's number one list....

ok....i'm sure that fanned the wharton citizen's hearts...

Not going to argue Roberts's worth, etc. But, the 8 team district as it is now does have a couple of cupcakes in each sport. You know who they are, & just about every district has them too. All I am going to say from watching his teams play is that PLENTY of talent (some D1) has come thru Wharton in recent years. You do the math...

carter08
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
I'll be in Wharton twice tomorrow

District UIL at the College

Then going to see Starlit Summer, Yesterday's Portrait, The Massacre at Sundown, and more bands at the American Legion Hall

whtfbplaya
03-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Great Talent is not an overstatement.

whtfbplaya
03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
Coach Roberts is a great guy, that took over a varsity football team with about 15-19 players max and turned the program around.

18handicap
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
If the board member was so worried about the player's hair length, then why was athletics picked on? If it is a school rule, then the principal should have enforced the rule first because the kid was in the classroom all day before athletics, right? I don't understand that rationale.

24-AAA is a very tough district. It's a shame that they are in an 8 team district with a 6 team district on one side and a 4 team district on the other side. I know in softball, there are at least 5-6 teams that are good enough to do well in the playoffs, but only 3 can go. I'm sure it is that way in the other sports as well.

BTW, I saw them last year, and their band sure is small. Maybe 25-30 at the most. Is the band director's job in jeopardy for low numbers? Just a thought.

g$$
03-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
If the board member was so worried about the player's hair length, then why was athletics picked on? If it is a school rule, then the principal should have enforced the rule first because the kid was in the classroom all day before athletics, right? I don't understand that rationale.

24-AAA is a very tough district. It's a shame that they are in an 8 team district with a 6 team district on one side and a 4 team district on the other side. I know in softball, there are at least 5-6 teams that are good enough to do well in the playoffs, but only 3 can go. I'm sure it is that way in the other sports as well.

BTW, I saw them last year, and their band sure is small. Maybe 25-30 at the most. Is the band director's job in jeopardy for low numbers? Just a thought.

Agreed. How is the season going in the Brazos Valley?

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Band Director is leaving too...

fireman1
03-29-2007, 07:24 PM

let's watch the over used word " good " or " great " talent.

Like I said Wharton has had "great" talent come through over the nine years that Roberts was here give or take a year or two where the teams were around mediocre/up...other than those two years...Wharton has had "good" to "great" athletes..every year people are always saying how "good" our players are...now about Cuero...my point was that we stick with them every year and they make their usual deep playoff run...why can't that be Wharton...why can't we get past the first round??..my point again...we had the athletes capable of making a deep playoff run....ok and about Cuero's district teams and their runs...well i dont know about that because that is irrelevant...what i was saying is that Cuero has made more than one long run and that speaks for itself...and if u want to get on good playoff runs...then lets talk about W.Columbia and Sweeny this year...we beat W.Columbia and lost to Sweeny by 1pt and i think W.C. was one game away from state..and Sweeny was two games away from state...i might be wrong but that is what i thought...i know that we got an unfortunate draw and had to play Giddings...but we should have not got beaten by 48pts...

fireman1
03-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Our school policy is that a male student's hair cannot be over there collar...but in school, student's might wear their hair up, not going over the collar...there is also about 650 students in our school and i don't think one principal is going to be able to catch one person..and from personal experiences us students try to avoid the principals...now teachers should have said something..i totally agree...but what the school board member was saying is that the athlete made it to athletics with the long hair and the coach and other coaches have seen the hair long and should have mentioned to the athlete that his hair was too long...i remember our baseball coach always getting on us about our hair being long and would make sure we are always clean shaven...so that we do not draw attention to us...im not sure if the school board member mentioned it to the schools principals or not...but im guessing it was not all put on athletics...it just happened to be at an athletic event where the athlete was spotted...

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
i can kind of see us athletes are getting sluggish in athletics...and Coach realizes that so he's trying to keep on the top of the ball still...

fireman1
03-29-2007, 07:50 PM
i can kind of see us athletes are getting sluggish in athletics...and Coach realizes that so he's trying to keep on the top of the ball still...

What are u trying to say???...

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
What are u trying to say???...

not much...just bringing up a fact that some athletes still don't like whats going on...

maestro
03-29-2007, 08:12 PM
well .....

sealy changed coaches and to my guessing....there was not an uproar...

sweeny changed coaches and i did not hear an uproar.....

a few years ago needville changed coaches , and i think that everyone cheered...

point being.....with so many posts about the wharton situation....

there has to be something not being said that is happening in wharton ...

coaches moving and not being re hired happens all of the time.

why the beef in wharton???

come clean tigerpride or fireman....

fireman1
03-29-2007, 08:23 PM
i dont know for a fact..but i have heard that they talked to him about the overall running of the athletic dept. for the last 4 yrs. and when they did not see any improvements..the supt. did not even recommend to extend his contract....what i got from the article and one of the school board members quotes was that the athletic program as a whole is not on the level they want it to be on.. and now was the time to make a change...i just have heard from many people in the town and from what everyone is saying that he is just not getting the job done...now don't take my words to the exact T...im not 100% sure on anything...

tigerpride_08
03-29-2007, 09:28 PM
maybe i see a problem with it because he's been coaching me since i started high school...i have always thought of him as a good guy and maybe his style isn't normal, but i always thought he did what was best for the team...i dunno what it was like before i hit high school, but that's how its been since i've been here...

18handicap
03-30-2007, 12:47 PM
g$$, we're hanging in there right now. We've been dealing with a lot of rain the past couple of weeks postponing and moving district games around. We're 16-10 and 4-2 in district with 4 road trips in a row coming up -- well, we're rained out at Harker Heights tonight and may not get to go until Monday and then a road trip to Temple on Tuesday. At least we just go cross town on Friday. I like it a lot and the girls are really working hard and we've played a very tough schedule so far. I've gone to some TAMU games (baseball and softball) and hope to get to go when the UT/A&M game is played here if we're not playing.

g$$
03-30-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
Like I said Wharton has had "great" talent come through over the nine years that Roberts was here give or take a year or two where the teams were around mediocre/up...other than those two years...Wharton has had "good" to "great" athletes..every year people are always saying how "good" our players are...now about Cuero...my point was that we stick with them every year and they make their usual deep playoff run...why can't that be Wharton...why can't we get past the first round??..my point again...we had the athletes capable of making a deep playoff run....ok and about Cuero's district teams and their runs...well i dont know about that because that is irrelevant...what i was saying is that Cuero has made more than one long run and that speaks for itself...and if u want to get on good playoff runs...then lets talk about W.Columbia and Sweeny this year...we beat W.Columbia and lost to Sweeny by 1pt and i think W.C. was one game away from state..and Sweeny was two games away from state...i might be wrong but that is what i thought...i know that we got an unfortunate draw and had to play Giddings...but we should have not got beaten by 48pts...

Sweeny & WC both lost 3 rounds deep. Sweeny lost a good game to Liberty Hill who went on to win state in D2. WC lost to Waco Robinson, who lost a thriller in the state finals when they went for 2 & failed. The only difference is D1 has one less round due to fewer teams. Both lost the same weekend in Bryan/College Station as I attended both games.

g$$
03-30-2007, 01:02 PM
g$$, we're hanging in there right now. We've been dealing with a lot of rain the past couple of weeks postponing and moving district games around. We're 16-10 and 4-2 in district with 4 road trips in a row coming up -- well, we're rained out at Harker Heights tonight and may not get to go until Monday and then a road trip to Temple on Tuesday. At least we just go cross town on Friday. I like it a lot and the girls are really working hard and we've played a very tough schedule so far. I've gone to some TAMU games (baseball and softball) and hope to get to go when the UT/A&M game is played here if we're not playing.

Hang in there Coach, I am sure it will be a fight to the end. Best of luck to you...