PDA

View Full Version : Tre' Newton to UT

crzyjournalist03
02-24-2007, 05:45 PM
This story isn't posted anywhere yet, but I just spoke with former Cowboys great Nate Newton, and his son Tre', also from Southlake Carroll, has just made his commitment to the Longhorns as well!

Phil C
02-24-2007, 08:34 PM
:)

Phil C
02-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I would also like UT to get Center Ben Habern because he is supposed to be a good one but I don't think that is going to happen based on other web site postings.

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I still haven't seen this story anywhere, but I know for a fact that it's true! I talked to the proud papa himself.

crzyjournalist03
02-25-2007, 02:26 PM
From Dallasnews.com

Carroll's Dodge, Newton commit to UT

01:11 AM CST on Sunday, February 25, 2007
By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Coach Mack Brown has said he recruits winners to play football at the University of Texas. On Saturday, Brown received oral commitments from a pair of juniors who have never lost a high school game.

Southlake Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge and running back Tre' Newton said they committed to UT while attending the Longhorns' second Junior Day. Texas now has pledges from 14 players for its 2008 signing class, matching Texas A&M for the most in the nation so far.

Dodge (6-0, 182) and Newton (6-0, 185) are two of the most dynamic offensive players returning in high school football. Dodge, The Associated Press' 2006 Class 5A state offensive player of the year, passed for 4,184 yards and 54 touchdowns and rushed for 1,119 yards and 13 TDs as a junior. Newton had 274 carries for 2,010 yards and 20 TDs last season.

Dodge and Newton are undefeated as starters at Carroll, which has won four 5A state titles and is 79-1 in the last five seasons.

"Coach Brown talked about how we have never lost a game in high school, and he was impressed with that," Riley said.

Dodge said Texas recruited him as an athlete. He said Texas coaches told him they'd probably use him at wide receiver or defensive back but wouldn't rule out playing him at quarterback. Dodge said he chose UT over offers from SMU, Tulsa, Rice and North Texas, where his father, Todd, became the head coach in December after leading Carroll to the Class 5A Division I state championship.

"I'm sure my dad wanted me to go to North Texas, but he's so excited for me," Riley said. "It doesn't get much better than this."

Todd was a four-year letterman at quarterback at Texas from 1982 to '85. He ranks ninth all time at UT with 2,791 passing yards. Riley told his father Wednesday that if Texas offered him a scholarship Saturday, he was going to commit. Riley said he attended Texas' Junior Day with his mother, Elizabeth, while Todd was in Missouri.

"I'm so happy," Riley said. "This is my dream school. My parents gave me the blessing, and I'm excited to be a Longhorn."

Newton, the son of former Cowboys offensive lineman Nate Newton, said he chose Texas over offers from Nebraska, Kansas and Mississippi. Newton said his parents accompanied him on the Junior Day visit to Texas.

"Texas was on the top of my list," Tre' said. "The whole coaching staff is Christians and they're all about academics. Both are important to me."

Dodge and Newton said they would be graduating early from Carroll and would enroll at Texas in January 2008.

"It's great how it worked out that we'll stay together," Newton said. Added Riley: "I'm just happy to be a part of the Texas family."

Oral commitments are nonbinding. The first day a recruit in the Class of '08 can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6, 2008.