PDA

View Full Version : run down on abilene wylie for ' 02

Indian44_03
07-30-2002, 10:45 PM
We're new in the district with abilene wylie. Will someone please tell me the run down on wylie. top players, type of offense; etc. thanks

vet93
07-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Indian...I assume that you are a Comanche Indian...The Bulldogs return 4/4 from last year with several others getting pretty good playing time. Tommy Felts is probably the most notable returner. Transferred from Brownwood. Is not very big but very elusive. He is probably best when he is not used every down, but brought in on plays that emphasize his speed on the corners. Also dangerous in the kicking game. Hear they have some decent qb prospects and had a very solid J.V. When evaluating Wylie don't put too much emphasis on returning starters. Coach Sandifer will start alot of his seniors but the underclassmen get alot of playing time. With the school size and participation level that coach Sandifer has he always has alot to choose from. It will really take an exceptional group of kids from one of the smaller schools in our district like Comanche or Ballinger to be able to compete with Wylie. Coach Sandifer is a great coach who prepares his teams well and always has an eye for the big picture like developing young kids for next year or preparing for the post season. Good luck to the Indians for the coming season. Ya'll have a real good shot at making the playoffs this year. That Bangs game will be an early indication of how well you guys will do this year. They are loaded.

Originally posted by Indian44_03:
We're new in the district with abilene wylie. Will someone please tell me the run down on wylie. top players, type of offense; etc. thanks

FBFAN
07-31-2002, 10:40 PM
Vet, your analysis was good on the Bulldogs. No doubt that Sandifer is a great coach and the kids all seem to play hard for him. Good depth on the line coming back, both Off and Def. Will miss the 3 year starters in Ensor, Ruth and Lampert with their leadership and "big play" abilities. But, the 02 Bulldogs will find a way to win most games. Looking forward to seeing some new teams, like Commanche and Brady. Ballinger is always a great team!

roadblock
07-31-2002, 10:47 PM
i see wylie being down this year. their jv was decent last year loosing to both sweetwaters and merkels though. i dont think they will be near as dominating as they have been in the past. they weren't all that dominating last year and i think they should be down a little from last year.

hsguru
08-01-2002, 02:38 AM
Last years Jv wasnt very good at all.. But the kids that are seniors this fall ( juniors dont play much in sandifers sysem unless they are very good) went undefeated as sophomores. They have a good group of athletes. They will find a way to win just about every week. There are two good QB prospects and which ever one isnt playing Qb will be a good safety. No one is sure what the backfield will lokk like, but you would like to see the Wolfe/ Gross tandem that combined for 58 rushing tds their sophomore year. The line will be bigger and more athletic than last years. Hopefully the big kids will go 100% every play until the final whistle. When youwatch what seperates a good team from a great team watch teh linemen. The teams that are going to advance to that next round are the ones that their linemen are still jacking guys up until the plays blown dead. I do think that defensively Wylie will be better this year as a team. They wont have the "stars" from last year but as a group i thinkthey will be more cohesive.

pero chato
08-01-2002, 05:01 PM
Welcome Comanche Indians back into the 3A ranks and our district. I remember in the 80's and early 90's when Comanche used to kick our butts. Always had a solid team and apparently did well in 2A. Wylie should have a huge line this year with some speed in key positions. Three of the four state relay team members are back this year (Baugh, Massey, Felts). I think Felts will be moved to running back with Wolfe as FB. Watch for Massey and Gross to be in the back field as well. The line will be big but will need leadership. Sandifer has a way of finding it. New QB this year after three years with Ensor should be interesting. Both prospects have talent and speed. Landers led the JV two years ago to an undefeated season, so he might get the nod. Defense will need to be improved over last year's. It will indeed be a "down" year if that doesn't happen. Again, welcome and I hope y'all have a great season!

Indian44_03
08-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Excel94
08-03-2002, 02:10 PM
In response to hsguru's comment about last years Wylie JV team not being very good at all. I am just wondering how many games you attended because I was at them all. Those boys went undefeated in their preseason which included 4A Snyder,Big Springs and Lakeview. Most people would not consider an 8-2 season as "not very good at all". The Jr. class does have good players that will contribute to this years varsity. Just another reminder for you, the same kind of comments were said of the JV Class a few years back who consisted of the senior class that went to the State Championship Game. A few of their names were Lee Swanson, Brent Gailey, Seth Clay, Brett Unger etc..

diehardfootball
08-03-2002, 04:32 PM
I agree with hsguru that the jv as a team were not that good. I think there are a few good players from the junior grade that can contibute. I think Cody Lawson and Lance Miller could be potential weapons. They both have excellent speed. I think that Crowder has the potential to do some great things. The kid has done ALOT of bulking up. I think that Philpot could be used alot too. However he didnt play for them last year because he just recently moved here in the winter. Not alot to speak of after that.

GATORADE
08-03-2002, 08:21 PM
I personally think that the jv from last year will contribute to the varsity. I agree with your picks for who will be potential weapons. I think there will be others as well who will come in and be a factor. Bickering over whether the jv from last year was good or not should not be something that should be argued upon amongst Wylie fans. I think great things will happen this season. Just sit back and watch.

hsguru
08-03-2002, 08:37 PM
I hope that you are right Gatorade. I think the biggest help from a junior will be Philpot. Lawson has potential but must hang on to the ball better. Miller will be a help also. Other than that I dont foresee many of them making a big contribution. Hopefully Wislon will be ready to go. Wondering if any sophomore will be moved up. I think that if anyone does it will be linemen. And probably would be Crump and Wolfe.

Olddawg
08-04-2002, 11:30 AM
I have seen two people list Philpot's name as players to look for from the Junior class. I am glad to see some new talent in that class. What do we know about him? I have been hearing good things from spring training and summer workouts, but since he was not in the Wylie program last year, has anyone seen him on a game field?

diehardfootball
08-04-2002, 03:06 PM
I agree I think Philpot will be good. But who will the leaders be for the Bulldogs? What seniors have what it takes?

GATORADE
08-04-2002, 03:19 PM
I heard the Philpot kid moved from China Springs. He was apparently good at soccer there. But I see Cole Landers being a leader for the bulldogs. He has the best shot at becoming QB for the 02 season. I hear about tommy felts being so good, but he really didnt impress that much from what I could tell. He had great speed and quickness, but I dont see him as being a stand out tailback. He is a little on the small side and it took a bit of a toll on him at some points last year. I see him being used more primarliy on defense. I agree with hsguru when he mentioned about seeing the gross/wolfe combination. I think that could be the bread and butter of the offense if Sanifer plays it right. It was lethal on JV.

bulldog038
08-07-2002, 08:55 PM
GATORADE- I dont mean this rude even tho it sounds that way. For lack of a better phrase you're gonna have to pull your foot out of your mouth on the comments u made about tommy felts not being capable of being a standout tailback. I am tommy felts, I'm not cocky, I dont have a big head. I'm a team player, but i am confident in my abilities as a football player and especially as a tailback. Did you make it to the ballinger game last season? I had 5 touches for 244 yds and 3tds; having one carry from tailback going 55yds for a touchdown. Now you can take this and think whatever u want, but I encourage you to make it to every wylie game this next season, and i'll be going 110% every down. If you will email me your name and address at KingApe03@aol.com I will send u a copy of my highlight video. I dont know who you are, but i'm gonna do my very best to prove you wrong. Come talk to me after a game or two if you will, i'd like to meet you. I'd rather u not take this the wrong way, but just wait, gettin hit dont bother me one bit, in fact i like contact. send me your name and address and i'll get u that video and u can re-evaluate your comments. thanks, please dont get mad, i'm not tryin to start anything.

hsguru
08-07-2002, 09:51 PM
The Wlyie JV went 8-2 last year??? Oh please check that record again. Your delusional.

hsguru
08-07-2002, 09:54 PM
Great response Tommy. How did the Wednesday afternoon practice go?

hsguru
08-07-2002, 09:55 PM
Excel..... About half of the players that you mentioned there from the finals team didnt play jv ball. they were mostly moved up to varsity....

bulldog038
08-07-2002, 10:51 PM
hsguru...we didnt have the normal football workout this afternoon, we went swimmin to get some soreness out and then did a running workout

Olddawg
08-07-2002, 11:00 PM
Hey Guru,
What was the JV record last year?

whsfan
08-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Olddawg:
Hey Guru,
What was the JV record last year?

Guru I kept up with the JV team pretty close and I'm pretty sure 8-2 was right.

[This message has been edited by whsfan (edited August 07, 2002).]