PDA

View Full Version : Gatesville taking Iowa Park's Ellis?

VWG
02-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Rumor going around the Hawks are losing their head coach to Gatesville.
Any truth to this? Green Monster, where for art thou!

Swarm 51
02-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Rumor going around the Hawks are losing their head coach to Gatesville.
Any truth to this? Green Monster, where for art thou!

The Iowa Park coach was one of the final three to be interviewed last night by the committee. But, the committee is not making an announcement as to who they selected until that person is presented to and approved by the Gatesville School Board. That meeting is scheduled for next Thursday night, March 1. Speculation on the Old Coach message board is it is Coach Ellis at Iowa Park.

GreenMonster
02-24-2007, 01:47 AM
I've got nothing here guys. I know that he is from Brownwood originally and that every so often there are rumors that he's trying to get back closer to home. I hope it isn't true for selfish reasons but if it is they are getting a top notch individual and really good football coach.

injuredinmelee
02-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Greenie,

will be really late in the year to hire a new AD. There anyone on staff now worthy of promoting?

Macarthur
02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
GM, would know better than me, but I don't think there's an internal candidate there.

GreenMonster
02-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Depends. I think the DC will be a head coach someday. Strong personality, very organized, and young (31 or 32). The OC has been on staff for about 8 years now and has worked his way up. Good guy, 32 years old, hard worker, has had some administrative duties while serving as Regional Director for powerlifting for several years. I think he too will one day be a head coach. If offered the job I think either one would take it and the other would go with Ellis. If neither are offered I think they both follow Ellis and the job goes outside. If it goes outside it could go anywhere. I just hope the School Board doesn't go off their rocker and try to find one of those "We're gonna throw it 80 - 85 times a night" guys. I would much rather see a Slot -T, Wing T, or even a Spread T guy come in. The base offense in IP has been the Wing T out of a doubble wing set since Weldon Nelms arrived in the Spring of 1994. With that much Wing T pedegree in your system it doesn't make sense to stray too far away from it.

**I want to point out that everything I have written here is purely speculation. The question was asked of me and I have tried to answer it as best as I can. I haven't spoken with any of the guys involved. I wish them all the best and I hope like hell that they all just stay put right here in Iowa Park. With that said I also know that sometimes a man has to do what he feels is best for his family.

hawkfan
02-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Depends. I think the DC will be a head coach someday. Strong personality, very organized, and young (31 or 32). The OC has been on staff for about 8 years now and has worked his way up. Good guy, 32 years old, hard worker, has had some administrative duties while serving as Regional Director for powerlifting for several years. I think he too will one day be a head coach. If offered the job I think either one would take it and the other would go with Ellis. If neither are offered I think they both follow Ellis and the job goes outside. If it goes outside it could go anywhere. I just hope the School Board doesn't go off their rocker and try to find one of those "We're gonna throw it 80 - 85 times a night" guys. I would much rather see a Slot -T, Wing T, or even a Spread T guy come in. The base offense in IP has been the Wing T out of a doubble wing set since Weldon Nelms arrived in the Spring of 1994. With that much Wing T pedegree in your system it doesn't make sense to stray too far away from it.

**I want to point out that everything I have written here is purely speculation. The question was asked of me and I have tried to answer it as best as I can. I haven't spoken with any of the guys involved. I wish them all the best and I hope like hell that they all just stay put right here in Iowa Park. With that said I also know that sometimes a man has to do what he feels is best for his family.

Personally, I would try to get either Dick Smith(DC at Wimberley) or Bruce Merril(DC at Vernon). Both coached in IP for several years and I think they can move in as HC and have alot of success. But who knows. Nelms and Ellis are both offense minded, so I don't know if defensive coaches could have success as head coach there, but I am betting they could. Also, Smith could might bring in some offensive personel from Wimberley with him. They run the spread but the have more of an established running game than most spread teams.

And all this is purely speculation. The guys on TOC don't have a clue. A different guy has said"so and so is going to be the next coach, you heard first here" or something like that.

hawkfan
02-25-2007, 08:17 PM
I just thought of another choice. Since all his kids are out of school, does anybody here think IP could get Green from Windthorst come on board? What do you think?

burnet44
02-25-2007, 08:30 PM
green maybe
his son is gone
I dont know if he has anymore kids

I hear IP guy has it

ol T guy

after throwing it so much from the spread
helping LH beat them like Mart beat Bosgueville
and LaVega tieing for dist and going a ways running the ball
after LV went 0-5 in dist last year
and being beat out by China the last 3 years
getting pounded by Robinson the last 2 years
beating Lowly Lorena every year wont keep ya employed

it would seem the Hornets are tired of the chuck and duck
or they should be

with all the girls there in powerlifting
maybe they should play

JK

sometimes 3 and out gets ya beat worse

GreenMonster
02-28-2007, 12:36 AM
I found out today that Coach Ellis will be staying put in Iowa Park. I think all the townsfolk can rest easy again. Thanks for sticking around Coach, you and your family are a great asset to our community.