PDA

View Full Version : Best job you've ever had?

big daddy russ
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Terry inspired this thread. What was the best job you've ever had. It could be best-paying, most fun, whatever.

Txbroadcaster
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Anytime I am broadcasting I am enjoying my job

BuffyMars
02-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Working in a coffee shop.

Don't ever bring up tea or coffee with me, because I now know entirely way too much about coffee.

And Starbucks has brainwashed people with their crappy "McDonald's like" cofee! :foul::foul::foul:

:D

big daddy russ
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
Working in a coffee shop.

Don't ever bring up tea or coffee with me, because I now know entirely way too much about coffee.

And Starbucks has brainwashed people with their crappy "McDonald's like" cofee! :foul::foul::foul:

:D
Amen. I prefer Maxwell House to Starbucks.

For me, working at the TV station. The newspaper was fun and I got to stay at games for the whole game, but we'd travel and hang out and stuff at the station. Plus, I got paid for watching football then talking about it. If it wasn't for the pay, I'd still want to do it.

BuffyMars
02-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Amen. I prefer Maxwell House to Starbucks.

Preach on preacher man!

Thank you Jesus!

I wonder if people can tell that I grew up Assembly of God/SOuthern Pentecostal. :thinking:

Gobbla2001
02-23-2007, 12:35 PM
depends on what kind of job you're talking about...

I guess the last position I had at work before being moved to the current one...

BuffyMars
02-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
depends on what kind of job you're talking about...

I guess the last position I had at work before being moved to the current one...

WHich was? :thinking:

Gobbla2001
02-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
WHich was? :thinking:

die technician

Bullaholic
02-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
die technician

Is that sorta like a mortician, Gobbla? :D

RMAC
02-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Last summer I worked for TxDOT. It was great. All the people I worked with were fun and I got paid great. I'm going back in May and I can't wait. I'm getting like a $3 raise from last summer b/c I have more hours, and I don't do anything laborious. All I do is sit in the truck and take tickets from asfault truck drivers and put them in a computer for about 15 hours a day. I love pulling overtime starting on Wednesday. Plus, I get a new pair of boots to go with my wicked awesome hardhat. It's a fun job to be sure.

CenTexSports
02-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Friday nights in the fall. Beautiful sunset, crowds yelling, Star Spangled Banner playing, chill bumps running up my back and two football teams running on the field. Of course there is the downside: coaches yelling, fans drooling and falling up the steps, players cursing, and the long drive home after the game.

Blastoderm55
02-23-2007, 12:47 PM
When things are good, this is the best job I've ever had. Being your own boss is a great joy and is truly the American dream.

CHS_CG
02-23-2007, 01:08 PM
i'd have to say this job is the best. It pays good, i only get annoyed with my boss every so often (like when we get busy) and I can check the downlow almost whenever I want! ahh life is good!:o

piratebg
02-23-2007, 01:10 PM
I had the most fun working at the local HEB.

DU_stud04
02-23-2007, 01:50 PM
worked on campus driving a golf cart at night driving around giving people rides to their car, dorm, frat house. greatest job ever, so easy and i met a ton of the sorority girls that way. there were 3 carts going a night and we would have races and do different obstacles. gas carts go fast :) (especially when you take the governors and reset them :D )

DUKE22
Judge of a Wet T Shirt contest, they did not have to pay us a dime.

smustangs
Originally posted by DU_stud04
worked on campus driving a golf cart at night driving around giving people rides to their car, dorm, frat house. greatest job ever, so easy and i met a ton of the sorority girls that way. there were 3 carts going a night and we would have races and do different obstacles. gas carts go fast :) (especially when you take the governors and reset them :D )

sounds like a blast only you reuben haha :clap:

pirate44
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
current job:thumbsup:

DU_stud04
02-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
sounds like a blast only you reuben haha :clap: we got good at popping the carts on 2 wheels and ridding them out. pay wasn't the best, only 9.15 an hour, but i still loved it.

smustangs
02-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
we got good at popping the carts on 2 wheels and ridding them out. pay wasn't the best, only 9.15 an hour, but i still loved it.

hell on campus at tarleton i think its standard to start at $5.15 so dont complain haha

jason
02-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by smustangs
hell on campus at tarleton i think its standard to start at $5.15 so dont complain haha ir techs start at $6.75 - but i just got a raise :D

and working at IR is the best job ive ever had...

smustangs
02-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jason
ir techs start at $6.75 - but i just got a raise :D

and working at IR is the best job ive ever had...

well congrats im too computer illiterate to do anything like that. i had my interview this week w/ the strenght and conditioning department so hopefully that works out

pirate4state
02-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I really like my current job.

The travel industry had its perks, but you can't beat living only 2 miles from your job and having a cool boss who pretty much lets me do whatever I want. :D

SintonFan
02-23-2007, 11:03 PM
I know that my current job is the best I've ever had, too. I get to talk to folks at their house and find out what going on in their lives when time is permitted. I've found out that in small towns like this we all really are alike and have many of the same trials and tribulations and great points in life. I've had the absolute pleasure of working for the greatest man I've known(my dad) for almost 16 years now, too.:clap:

burnet44
02-23-2007, 11:16 PM
hawkins 1987-1995
great staff
great kids
great track meets

was great

then the admins f ed it up

SintonFan
02-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by burnet44
hawkins 1987-1995
great staff
great kids
great track meets

was great

then the admins f ed it up
What happened b44?

yourboss319
02-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Well.. I just returned my festivical application of hirement to the phenomenal... "Whataburger" and I got an occupation consultation tomorrow so hopefully I will obtain hire for my primary career

whoo rahh

SintonFan
02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by yourboss319
Well.. I just returned my festivical application of hirement to the phenomenal... "Whataburger" and I got an occupation consultation tomorrow so hopefully I will obtain hire for my primary career

whoo rahh
Ok, either I've had too much or you have had too much.:D :p
Translate please???????

yourboss319
02-23-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Ok, either I've had too much or you have had too much.:D :p
Translate please???????

haha i think its both of us..

"Well.. I just returned my festivical application of hirement to the phenomenal... "Whataburger" and I got an occupation consultation tomorrow so hopefully I will obtain hire for my primary career

whoo rahh"

TRANSLATION

"oh.. I just put in my application to whataburger and i got a freakin job interview tomorro so hopefully i will get hired for my first job

badass"

SintonFan
02-23-2007, 11:42 PM
haha i think its both of us..

"Well.. I just returned my festivical application of hirement to the phenomenal... "Whataburger" and I got an occupation consultation tomorrow so hopefully I will obtain hire for my primary career

whoo rahh"

TRANSLATION

"oh.. I just put in my application to whataburger and i got a freakin job interview tomorro so hopefully i will get hired for my first job

badass"
Not me! Only the best fermented grape juice for me provided by 66.:D
Good luck tomorrow Dude!:clap: :cool: :)

yourboss319
02-23-2007, 11:43 PM
fermented ehh.. dont wanna know..

thanks.. i know im more then likely am going to get the job unless i completely screw up my interview.. cuz a bunch of workers there told the manager that im a good worker and even durin 5th period my teacher called him and told him about me.. then we played basketball hehe

SintonFan
02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
fermented ehh.. dont wanna know..

thanks.. i know im more then likely am going to get the job unless i completely screw up my interview.. cuz a bunch of workers there told the manager that im a good worker and even durin 5th period my teacher called him and told him about me.. then we played basketball hehe
It's all good then.:clap:
unless your "frunk"... get some sleeep quick then.:eek:

smustangs
02-24-2007, 12:38 AM
nothing like a test or interview hung over :clap:

mistanice
02-24-2007, 11:27 AM
When I worked at the golf course.... I was able to play at the surrounding area courses for free as well as the one I worked for. Everything I had was free...bag,gloves,balls,tees,clubs,hats, shirts,socks,shoes, life was good. I saved so much money. Now I haven't played since, and it hurts when I have to fork over some money to play a round. Good balls were infinite, and they didn't call me demo king for nothing, I liked to try new clubs.

GreenGobbla
02-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by mistanice
When I worked at the golf course.... I was able to play at the surrounding area courses for free as well as the one I worked for. Everything I had was free...bag,gloves,balls,tees,clubs,hats, shirts,socks,shoes, life was good. I saved so much money. Now I haven't played since, and it hurts when I have to fork over some money to play a round. Good balls were infinite, and they didn't call me demo king for nothing, I liked to try new clubs.

i would have to agree...working at a golf course is great

88bobcats
02-25-2007, 03:11 AM
Two of my uncles owned a New Orleans Style snow cone stand in College Station back in the mid- to late-80's. I got to spend two weeks each summer during high school in C.S. giving out freebies to the co-ed's. just to "get dem digits". I got more dates in two weeks than I did the whole rest of the year. The cheerleader/dance camps alone were enough to keep the little black book chock-full!

Whooooohoooooo!

I didn't get paid a dime.....just room and board for two weeks, and introductions to all the cute gals I could possibly imagine.

Man, it was great to grow up in the '80s!

Ranger Mom
02-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Probably the job I have now. I have been working full time for the past 2 years, but previous to that, I only worked 8:30 - 3:00 so I could take and pick my kids up from school.

Never missed a single sporting event or school related activity they were in. I am allowed to be on the downlow and can take off early for out of town football games, etc.

Was given 3 summers off, when my kids were smaller, because daycare was going to eat up my paycheck.

I guess I must like it quite a bit since I have been there for 15 years now.

:)

burnet44
02-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
What happened b44?

the da's decided to hire an AD in a 2A school
the HC left
a great guy
they hired a girls basketball coach and made him AD
(yeah I know some of you will fire back on that)
the guy knew nothing about anything
couldnt even organize a track meet
reassigned the staff
made everyone so happy

we had legendary meets before that
and a state qual meet for 3 years that was greatly successful
all of our athletuc teams competed well

the principal retired
they brought in another NN
thought he was "THE MAN"
tried to shove his weight around
he has been paid off by 2 school districts since

between the 2
the Hawks havent recovered IMHO
both are gone now
been through 2-3 supts
money issues
poor mangement

Its an OK place

just not what it was

ty admins
gotta love it

it was a great job

htowntransplant
02-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Terry inspired this thread. What was the best job you've ever had. It could be best-paying, most fun, whatever.

my favorite job, despite the low pay, was working at a boarding kennel from when i was 17-20 yrs old on and off as a college student having to go away. i got to take care of dogs that belonged to the dummer of ZZ top, craig biggio, former astros pitcher shane reynolds, and some other celeb's dogs.