PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championship this weekend.

Phil C
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
It will be at Arnes, Iowa tomorrow and Saturday. UT won both the men and women's meet last year. Also at stake are two State Farm Lone Star Showdown (SFLSS) points. I don't know how UT or other schools have done this year and it has been frustrating to get information. Whoever finishes higher in the rankings between UT and A&M gets the point in each team totals for the men and women. I think that UT will get these points but I am not as confident not knowing much about how the schools are doing. We will see.

Phil C
02-22-2007, 05:20 PM
The reason it is indoor track and field is because the events are held inside dome stadiums. They do this because the meets are held in bad weather since it is winter so the events are inside.
In the spring the events are outdoor track and field because the events can be held outside since the weather in spring is more favorable to that than winter conditions.

Phil C
02-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Also a lot of the athletes that participate in Indoor Track and Field also participate in Outdoor Track and Field. In fact as a point of added interest many Cross Country (a Fall Sport) also participate in one or both of those sports.

Funk-d-fied
02-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Texas A&M women’s team heads into the Big 12 Championships as the highest ranked team among the 12 league schools in two recent polls. The Aggies are No. 9 in the USTFCCCA coaches’ poll and No. 10 in Trackwire’s poll.

Both polls tend to reflect how a team will fare at the NCAA Indoor Championships where athletes need to achieve a qualifying standard to enter the meet. On the conference level, though, a team’s depth is sometimes just as important as its quality in a number of events that are contested.

While Nebraska and No. 12 Texas see who can claim a sixth women’s indoor team title first, they will likely have their hands full with the challenge presented by Texas A&M as head coach Pat Henry enters his third year with the program.

Panther One
02-22-2007, 06:48 PM
With Pat Henry, the indoor track facility (which is nearing completion), and upcoming improvements to the track and field complex, it won't be long until the A&M men and women are both vying for conference titles, and national titles. The women are there on the conference level, and I think the men will be soon.

sahen
02-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Baylor's 4X400 team is ridiculous this year (more so than normal)..They already had an "A" (very first meet) and "B" team qualify for the NCAAs...The other day in an exhibition match the Baylor "A" team almost beat Team USA (minus ex Baylor great Jeremy Wariner), the Bears were up by about 10 - 20 m going into the final 400 and were nipped by team USA at the finish...I will be surprised if anyone can take the 4X400m title from them but other than that I am not sure about how good Baylor's team is....I heard we are deeper than usual so maybe we can sneak up in there and finish pretty high....