PDA

View Full Version : "DJ" dead at 52.

Maroon87
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Updated: Feb. 22, 2007, 4:39 PM ET
Former Celtic guard Johnson dies suddenly at 52
ESPN.com news services

AUSTIN, Texas -- Former NBA star Dennis Johnson died Thursday, the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office said. He was 52.

Johnson, who was part of three NBA champions with the Boston Celtics and one with the Seattle SuperSonics, had been coaching the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League.

The cause of death is not known.

"He will be autopsied," said Mayra Freeman, a spokeswoman for the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office.

Johnson was the MVP of the 1979 NBA Finals, averaging 22.6 points as the Sonics beat the Washington Bullets in five games.

After a brief stint with the Phoenix Suns, Johnson rejoined the Celtics, where he teamed with Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge and Robert Parish for a glorious run in the 1980s that saw Boston win the 1984 and 1986 NBA championships and a reach a third, losing the Lakers in 1987.

Known throughout the league as "DJ," Johnson played in five NBA All-Star Games and was named to the All-Defensive First Team six times.

In 14 NBA seasons, he scored 15,535 points (a 14.1 points-per-game average) and averaged 17.3 points in 180 playoff games.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Blastoderm55
02-22-2007, 05:00 PM
I met him year before last when my fiancee interviewed him. He was coaching the Round Rock NBA D-League team. Very sad. :( Still a very young man.

Snyder_TigerFan
02-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I met him year before last when my fiancee interviewed him. He was coaching the Round Rock NBA D-League team. Very sad. :( Still a very young man.

Sad indeed. We were just discussing him a couple of weeks ago.

I was a fan of the Celtics back when he played for them.

Phil C
02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Sorry Maroon. I didn't know you had already posted it and hopefully one of the moderators will eliminate my thread. Sad news. :(