PDA

View Full Version : Vision tests proposed for senior drivers

Adidas410s
02-22-2007, 01:46 PM
http://www.news8austin.com/content/headlines/?ArID=179646&SecID=2

whtfbplaya
02-22-2007, 01:48 PM
as long as they dont have it for the 20's i'll be ok.:D ;)

Phil C
02-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
as long as they dont have it for the 20's i'll be ok.:D ;)

You'll get there before you know it! Just remember this when you get there and you will say that ole Phil C was right. :)

Phil C
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm a senior citizen so I can say I agree with the bill but it doesn't go far enough. I think when you get in your fifties they need to check you. Besides the vision test they need to check your hearing which they can do by making sure you can hear them when he (the officer) speaks to you. Then I say a driving test should be done. Not like they do for first time drivers but just a simple ride around the block can let him know that you are physically able to drive around the block.
I had a friend who passed away and he was 72 and couldn't see good at all. You could be five yards away and he couldn't tell who you were yet he drove! He got his license renewed through the mail because he knew if he went in he wouldn't pass the vision.
Safety is important and I feel that this law should have gone farther and sooner. I wouldn't object to the test and I would fit into that catagory.