PDA

View Full Version : ski clothing

pirate44
02-22-2007, 11:07 AM
as far as my son goes, we will wait till right before the trip (he's growing like the weeds in my front yard)
but for me and my wife, id like to know what we need as far as ski clothing goes. that way we can slowly buy all the stuff till the trip in december. can anyone help us out here? type of gloves? pants, coats etc.

big daddy russ
02-22-2007, 11:17 AM
"Waterproof" gloves, a ski bib, ski goggles (though some people just wear glasses), a beanie, and some thick socks, along with a coat that's not made of leather or fur.

And right after Spring Break is the best time to buy. All the sales on the ski stuff (goggles, bibs, etc) kick in full-force then. You could probably find a nice heavy coat and some gloves on sale right now, since winter's starting to wind down.

mustang04
02-22-2007, 11:32 AM
well of course waterproof gloves...but what brand, etc....cuz i have some and my fingers FREEEEEEZE every year and it pisses me off so bad:mad:

Gp83
02-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Best recommendation I can give is buy through Ebay. I outfitted my whole family for a fraction of the cost. Most everything I bought was Columbia name brand.

pirate44
02-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
Best recommendation I can give is buy through Ebay. I outfitted my whole family for a fraction of the cost. Most everything I bought was Columbia name brand.
good idea. especially for the 3 year old. surely the 2nd hand stuff hasnt been used too much. unless its been handed down thru several kids.

big daddy russ
02-22-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well of course waterproof gloves...but what brand, etc....cuz i have some and my fingers FREEEEEEZE every year and it pisses me off so bad:mad:
I honestly couldn't tell you. I haven't had the money to go skiing in about six years... back when my parents were still footing the bill.

We probably wore Columbia gear (we bought all our stuff at Academy), but I couldn't tell you for sure.

whtfbplaya
02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
The little hand warmers you can buy are nice when it is cold. You tear open the package and the chem react with oxygen to get really hot. I use them fishing and hunting in the winter and some of them get to around 160 deg.

pirate44
02-22-2007, 01:06 PM
whats the difference between ski pants and snowboard pants?

spiveyrat
02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
The only time i've ever been skiing was on spring break in 1990. I remember bringing all the warm clothes and I remember sweating the first day I was there. In the days that followed, I had on a pair of long underwear (shirt) under a t-shirt, jeans, and a pair of ski bibs. So, be prepared to be flexible. In March, there's no telling what the weather will be like. It may be relatively "warm" one day and bone-chilling COLD the next.

The worst thing that happened to me there was the sunburn on my face/ears and the chapped lips. DON'T forget sunblock and Chapstick!!!