PDA

View Full Version : Great story out of Victoria

Bull Butter
02-21-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/428/story/25473.html

SENDING THANKS OVERSEAS
Neighbors work to have goodies mailed to Victorian, his unit serving in Iraq
February 20, 2007 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY REBECCA HOLM - VICTORIA ADVOCATE
There's something patriotic about fireworks, even on New Year's Eve. Maybe that's what gave Monica Huddleston the idea to send care packages to a neighbor's son, who is serving in Iraq.

Under Huddleston's leadership, the community pooled its resources and collected homemade goods, toiletries and other miscellaneous items, which were then shipped to local Navy SEAL Jared Shaw, 23, and those with whom he serves.

Huddleston and her neighbors were outside setting off fireworks to welcome in 2007 when she started asking Shaw's mother, Sharon Burns, about her son. "I make these fleece blankets, and I gave her a camouflage one to send over there to him. I thought, you know, it would be nice if everybody would get together and send stuff over there."

The reason behind sending the care packages? "Those guys are over there with nothing, and it's just some packages from home that would just make them feel better because it's just lonely over there," Huddleston said.

With the idea formulating in her head, she approached Burns. "I wanted to ask her to make sure it was OK if we did this ... she thought that was so wonderful."

The gesture meant a lot to Burns. "I was overwhelmed. I'm still overwhelmed."

Huddleston and her two daughters, 9-year-old Katie and 6-year-old Abby, created fliers with a picture of Shaw and a list of items, like shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, individually wrapped snacks, DVDs, hand sanitizer and sunscreen.

The threesome went around the neighborhood and passed out the fliers along with a specially made card. "We went and bought a stamp that had 'soldier' on there," she said, explaining that they then stamped white note cards for those wishing to write a personal note.

Huddleston collected items for a week and said that the response was tremendous. "I mean the neighbors just opened up their hearts and just poured in (donations). I even hung up a flier at my office (Mid Coast Electric), and my office just gave and gave."

She added that her aunt, who is a member of the local VFW Ladies Auxiliary, took a flier to the VFW. "People gave her money and she went out and bought stuff for the soldiers. One lady from the club made little bitty pocket flags and had them all folded and it was just awesome. It was just so touching."

Not only was the drive a time for the community to come together, but it was also a learning experience for Huddleston's daughters. "They just loved it. We are trying to explain to them that those guys over there that don't have the stuff like we have over here, to go to the store and get toothpaste or whatever you would need. It's just something that people have to send them."

Both Burns and Shaw, who has served in the Navy for four years, were swept off their feet by the community's support.

"It's crazy to think that people who don't even know him have done so many nice things," said Burns, adding that it took the packages about nine days to get to her son. "I just have been totally overwhelmed. I really have. And what made me probably feel the best was when he said 'I'm so glad I'm from Texas,' because Texas did it for him. It's just really a difficult time for our country, but certainly for a mother of any soldier being over there, or anywhere else for that matter, but when you have that kind of support from the people that live around you and that you see that day to day, it sure makes it a lot more tolerable. It really does."

In an e-mail from Iraq, Shaw expressed his appreciation for the gesture. "I was quite surprised when I received six of them, each weighing right at 50 lbs. My mother gave me a heads up that the packages were in the mail, but I was still overwhelmed when they all came in. To feel the support of people back home keeps the morale here high, and reminds of us why we are here."

He said that he wished all the soldiers serving in Iraq could feel the support he and his fellow soldiers experienced the day they received the packages.

"And not having such comforts like toothpaste is a small price to pay, to be able to be here and serve my country," he said. "I have great respect for the people like Monica and all the others that took part in sending all the items to us. We appreciate it very much. I hope to be able to thank each one of them personally when I return."

Burns explained that the gesture meant so much because in the military "there's no frills; you have all basics."

One of the comforts of home that she said her son missed was trail mix. She explained that it's one of those items that you go to the store for when you crave it and think nothing of it. "He said, 'We just want some peanuts and stuff like that because we don't have it here.' I know that when he got the boxes, he said 'this will take care of so many for such a long time'."

Shaw isn't the only one of Burns' children to serve in the military. Caleb Shaw, 28, served in the Air Force for six years before separating in January 2006 and Josiah Shaw, 25, separated from the Air Force in November 2006 after four years of service. Burns and her husband, Darryl, have three other children, 13-year-old Faith, 11-year-old Seth and 9-year-old Hope Burns.

"Victoria is such a unique community," she said. "We've been here right at six years, and I've just been overwhelmed (with support). I mean everything from our church family to the neighborhood. It makes me very proud to be from Victoria."

Bullaholic
02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Great to read stories like this. I don't care how you feel about the war and the politics that go with it----that's somebody's kid over there doing what they think is right for their country and their families. God Bless em' all....

Phil C
02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bull Butter
02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
The Burns family happens to be friends of mine. I'm fortunate to have known them:clap:

sinton66
02-21-2007, 08:17 PM
We did that for a couple of 3A Downlow members serving over there a couple years ago.