PDA

View Full Version : Texas no longer looking at Van's RB...

kaorder1999
02-21-2007, 09:05 AM
New Longhorns saga

Texas had hoped to reel in highly rated Van running back Jermie Calhoun, but suspect grades might have ended the Longhorns' interest in Calhoun. Orangebloods.com reported Monday night that Calhoun received a call from UT coaches who said they were no longer recruiting him.

"They called my coach first. Then they texted me later that day. They said sorry but they're not going to recruit me," Calhoun said. "I'm not tripping about it. I'm not worrying about it. There are other schools that want me."

On Feb. 11, dallasblog.com reported Texas coaches were concerned about Calhoun's grades and were starting to look at recruiting other running backs. Calhoun has expressed high interest in Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Texas has backed off recruiting Liberty-Eylau RB LaMichael James. Texas already has a commitment from Alief Elsik RB Jeremy Hills

Phil C
02-21-2007, 10:03 AM
I think part of this is that the NCAA is going to do stiffer penalties to those schools that don't have athletes graduate such as limiting scholarships. I think it is a fairly new rule. Can anyone help with the details? I have only heard this second hand.

kaorder1999
02-21-2007, 10:05 AM
i think its great. If you cant make the grades in HS then you shouldnt have a free college education.

Phil C
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I am sorry he didn't get to go to Texas. I think that was his first choice. He may go to Oklahoma and you know you very rarely hear about top athletes getting into grade trouble up there. Those Oklahoma professors must make them work and study!

vet93
02-21-2007, 10:12 AM
Phil....please remove tongue from cheek!;)

Originally posted by Phil C
I am sorry he didn't get to go to Texas. I think that was his first choice. He may go to Oklahoma and you know you very rarely hear about top athletes getting into grade trouble up there. Those Oklahoma professors must make them work and study!

Phil C
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
The only thing is that he is also Scout's top 1 in the state of Texas top recruting list for 2008. If you look at the top ones since 1996 they have all been very successful in college football and several have gone on to the pros. Whoever gets him is going to get a very good one.

Funk-d-fied
02-21-2007, 12:23 PM
you mean who ever can get him into their school will benefit....LOL

Oklahoma State has been doing a good job of doing that...

Phil C
02-21-2007, 12:30 PM
Funk-d-fied, in fact someone did a study on another web site but unfortunately I don't remember the link but he went into Scout's top five players in each of the past several year and nearly all of them did well in their college careers and several went into the pros.

coach
02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Funk in fact someone did a study on another web site but unfortunately I don't remember the link but he went into Scout's top five players in each of the past several year and nearly all of them did well in their college careers and several went into the pros.

i think you need to reword the first two or three words of that sentence bc it sounds like ur trying to say the f word without getting in trouble i had to read over it 5 times to understand it lol

Panther One
02-21-2007, 01:49 PM
I think part of this is that the NCAA is going to do stiffer penalties to those schools that don't have athletes graduate such as limiting scholarships. I think it is a fairly new rule. Can anyone help with the details? I have only heard this second hand.

It's called APR (Academic Progress Rate). It's a point system in which you lose points when players lose eligibility, even if you lose it out of season. It forces sports like football to keep their guys eligible in the spring semester, too, rather than slacking off and regaining eligibility over the summer. You also lose points if the athlete does not return to school. I do think they have rules in place now for a player who transfers or turns pro. It's really designed to penalize you for drop outs.

Basically, a player can earn two points per semester. One for returning to school, and one for being eligible. In football, you typically have 85 guys on scholarship, so that would be 340 points that you could earn. The score is then computed by dividing points earned by points possible. Say a football team earned 325 of 340 points. Their APR score is 956. The minimum apr set by the NCAA is 925. When a program falls below that score, penalties may be enforced.

When you fall below 925 and have a player who doesn't return and is not eligibile, you cannot replace that player. In essence, you lose that scholarship. This is called a contemporaneous penalty. They also have historical penalties which are enforced to schools who continually fall below standard. These penalties are more severe and can lead to recruiting and scholarship restrictions and possibly post-season bans.

Football is the easiest to look at because they give 85 full rides, so if you lose a scholarship, you lose a scholarship. I'm not sure how it's applied to sports that give out partials. I would assume you would lose the financial amount awarded to the lost player.

It's a great system and has programs re-evaluating the players they bring in. It's the biggest reason, in my opinion, that Bill Snyder retired at Kansas State. He built that program on Juco players, many of whom didn't last a semester, and the ones that did, dropped out once their football careers were done. APR would have killed him.

Phil C
02-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
It's called APR (Academic Progress Rate). It's a point system in which you lose points when players lose eligibility, even if you lose it out of season. It forces sports like football to keep their guys eligible in the spring semester, too, rather than slacking off and regaining eligibility over the summer. You also lose points if the athlete does not return to school. I do think they have rules in place now for a player who transfers or turns pro. It's really designed to penalize you for drop outs.

Basically, a player can earn two points per semester. One for returning to school, and one for being eligible. In football, you typically have 85 guys on scholarship, so that would be 340 points that you could earn. The score is then computed by dividing points earned by points possible. Say a football team earned 325 of 340 points. Their APR score is 956. The minimum apr set by the NCAA is 925. When a program falls below that score, penalties may be enforced.

When you fall below 925 and have a player who doesn't return and is not eligibile, you cannot replace that player. In essence, you lose that scholarship. This is called a contemporaneous penalty. They also have historical penalties which are enforced to schools who continually fall below standard. These penalties are more severe and can lead to recruiting and scholarship restrictions and possibly post-season bans.

Football is the easiest to look at because they give 85 full rides, so if you lose a scholarship, you lose a scholarship. I'm not sure how it's applied to sports that give out partials. I would assume you would lose the financial amount awarded to the lost player.

It's a great system and has programs re-evaluating the players they bring in. It's the biggest reason, in my opinion, that Bill Snyder retired at Kansas State. He built that program on Juco players, many of whom didn't last a semester, and the ones that did, dropped out once their football careers were done. APR would have killed him.

Very good Panther One! Would Vince have counted against it by turning pro his junior year like he did? It seems rediculous to penalize a school because a player turned pro and made $55 M Dollars.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
02-21-2007, 04:28 PM
You know guys, I don't see the point in discussion, this kid isn't "tripping" about it. :doh:

icu812
02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
For what its worth Calhoun has never been ineligible due to grades, is currently playing basketball and runs track. I don't think he has taken the SAT or ACT test yet. He's an awsome athlete. I'm not sure whats going on with UT but you would have to think there is a reason.

44INAROW
02-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think its great. If you cant make the grades in HS then you shouldnt have a free college education.

Cheers. I agree 100% with you KAO:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
02-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Cheers. I agree 100% with you KAO:clap: :clap: :clap:

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

:mad:

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 05:16 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

:mad: Show some passing test scores.:mad: :mad:

icu812
02-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Who needs an education more than the uneducated? If he runs like the wind let him in :D

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by icu812
Who needs an education more than the uneducated? If he runs like the wind let him in :D There is no excuse for being uneducated today. Students have more than enough opportunities to succeed.

Panther One
02-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Personally, I think there's more to it than grades. I think that's what the Longhorn recruiting guys are saying, but the coaches aren't going to come out and say it. That might just be pure speculation, as they look for a reason why Texas isn't offering a potential five star back.

If the kid stays eligible in high school and hasn't even taken the standardized tests, I find it hard to believe that grades would force a school not to offer, especially this early. If his high school grades were lacking, he has this semester, summer school, and next year to improve. And it's not like Texas hasn't taken grade risks before (VY, Jamal Charles). I'd say there's more to it.

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
I think you're correct.

Cameron Crazy
02-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Grades will make you or break you!

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Maybe because of the new NCAA rules, Texas doesn't want to take a chance on him.:thinking:

Phil C
02-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Maybe because of the new NCAA rules, Texas doesn't want to take a chance on him.:thinking:

What new NCAA rules? :confused:

JasperDog94
02-22-2007, 10:19 AM
What new NCAA rules? :confused: The new scholarship rules that we discussed earlier in this thread.