PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated NBA player?

big daddy russ
02-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Who is it? LeBron? D-Wade? Jason Kidd?

The suggestion box is up and running.

jason
02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
now - tim duncan

in his prime - not tim duncan

Macarthur
02-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Vince Carter

I would not put D Wade in the overrated category, but I would like to see him go though a game without getting a foul called every time a defender even looks his direction.

Adidas410s
02-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Shaquille O'Neal has to be considered. His production is nowhere near what it once was and he's no longer the physical presence in the paint that he used to be. Guys aren't scared of going to the hole with him down there.

Ben Wallace is another name to consider. A guy that gives me 6 points, 10 boards, and shoots 41% from the FT line shouldn't be one of the highest paid centers in the NBA. :mad:

Adidas410s
02-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jason
now - tim duncan

in his prime - not tim duncan

Duncan's career numbers are 22 pts and 12 boards. This season he's at 20.4 points and 11 boards. He's not really "past his prime" IMO.

eagles_victory
02-20-2007, 04:50 PM
definitly not d wade

lebron has taken a step back this year but i wouldnt say hes the most overrated player in the league

Kidd may be up there he puts up good numbers but hes never really impressed me

When you compare Lebron to all time greats he is being overrated
He may be there some day but right now hes not on that level to be compared to some of the greats

Ben Wallace was most overrated before this year but now im not really sure.

eagles_victory
02-20-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Shaquille O'Neal has to be considered. His production is nowhere near what it once was and he's no longer the physical presence in the paint that he used to be. Guys aren't scared of going to the hole with him down there.

Ben Wallace is another name to consider. A guy that gives me 6 points, 10 boards, and shoots 41% from the FT line shouldn't be one of the highest paid centers in the NBA. :mad: Adidas your exactly right in both cases i was thinking the same things

big daddy russ
02-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
definitly not d wade

lebron has taken a step back this year but i wouldnt say hes the most overrated player in the league

Kidd may be up there he puts up good numbers but hes never really impressed me

When you compare Lebron to all time greats he is being overrated
He may be there some day but right now hes not on that level to be compared to some of the greats

Ben Wallace was most overrated before this year but now im not really sure.
LeBron's up there IMO. He wouldn't even be in my top five best players right now and is pushing the envelope to be in the top ten, but the talent's there.

Bill Simmons brought up a great point about LeBron in his column. Will he be the next Griffey Junior or Eric Lindros? The guy who gets too good too quick and just falls off the map. Griffey Junior was well on his way to being the CF on my all-time baseball team before leaving the Northwest. LeBron's defense is suspect at best and he doesn't make his teammates better.

I actually think Duncan's doing well this year. The role players have aged quite a bit (Horry and Bowen specifically) and Francisco Elson isn't half the player that Nazr Mohammed was (What did I just say??? Is that possible?), but Duncan got his quickness and lift back and I'm actually expecting another Spurs run closing on the postseason solely because he's healthy.

In the end, I'd probably say Kidd. His defense has started to slip and he's lost a few steps, but on the upside he can still get the ball where it needs to go. I say he's got two more decent years tops.

Bull19
02-20-2007, 05:07 PM
SHAWN BERRY:D

big daddy russ
02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
...In the end, I'd probably say Kidd. His defense has started to slip and he's lost a few steps, but on the upside he can still get the ball where it needs to go. I say he's got two more decent years tops.
You know, on second thought there are a few guys who give him a run for his money. Ben Wallace isn't the same and Mike Miller and Brad Miller have never impressed me.

eagles_victory
02-20-2007, 05:11 PM
i say ray allen is overrated also

Maroon87
02-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Vince Carter.

Emerson1
02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

Tell that to Jason Terry and Devin Harris

Emerson1
02-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Gilbert Arenas. Stats are the same as Ray Allen's, and he plays in the east.

I think Lebron is overrated to. He would get shut down alot more often if he played on a team in the west.

coach
02-20-2007, 06:24 PM
tim duncan, shaq, tracy mcgrady, and michel finley

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by coach
tracy mcgrady Really? I don't see him as over-hyped or over-rated. Ever since coming to Houston he's just gone about doing his job and doing it well. But to each his own, I guess...

BILLYFRED0000
02-21-2007, 11:28 AM
All ya'll putin Tim Duncan need a re-think. His numbers are roughly the same has they have been his whole career and this year the only help he has is Parker and Ginobli.

I will put up Pao Gasol for consideration. And Ben Wallace.

coach
02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Really? I don't see him as over-hyped or over-rated. Ever since coming to Houston he's just gone about doing his job and doing it well. But to each his own, I guess...

maybe im too bust reading all the post on here on this homered filled board....sometimes i think these houston fans think they are better than the bulls when they won 70 games and they also think tracy is the best player to ever breathe???

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 11:37 AM
maybe im too bust reading all the post on here on this homered filled board....sometimes i think these houston fans think they are better than the bulls when they won 70 games and they also think tracy is the best player to ever breathe??? I'm sure there are probably a couple of fans who feel that way. I'm certainly not one of them. I like our chances this year if Yao comes back and gets in the flow of things.

Are you a Mavericks fan?

coach
02-21-2007, 11:39 AM
yeah why do i sound like one?

JasperDog94
02-21-2007, 11:40 AM
yeah why do i sound like one? To be honest? Yes. Most Mavs fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the Rockets. I'm not sure why.

You guys have a great team this year. Good luck. (Except when you play the Rockets!):)

coach
02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
well i dont i just think (and i have seen you do it yet) some of the rocket fans on here overhype the whole team..dont get me wrong yall have a great team it just annoys me when they do it. also im worried to play a team like the rockets bc the mavs stuggle against teams that have a player like mcgrady or kobe or gilbert arenas, lebron..you the typical on star athlete than can do it all but good luck to yall too.

BIG_STICK
02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
King James overrated. wow yall are dumb. Yeah his numbers are down a little bit but look at the team they are playing at yop of the east right now they are a muhc better team than they were last year. This guy will be one of the top 10 greatest all time. Without james the cavs might win 30 games for a whole year.

Maroon87
02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Most Mavs fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to the Rockets.

That chip becomes a boulder when it comes to the Spurs.:p

big daddy russ
02-21-2007, 01:13 PM
well i dont i just think (and i have seen you do it yet) some of the rocket fans on here overhype the whole team..dont get me wrong yall have a great team it just annoys me when they do it. also im worried to play a team like the rockets bc the mavs stuggle against teams that have a player like mcgrady or kobe or gilbert arenas, lebron..you the typical on star athlete than can do it all but good luck to yall too.
Coach, I actually think T-Mac's a little underrated nowadays. You never hear him mentioned as one of the top 10 players in the game and very rarely hear him mentioned in the top 15 (injuries the past few years have slowed him down). Beyond that, most people even think Yao's better than McGrady, but you look where the Rockets sit right now and there they are, fifth in the standings and challenging the Jazz for a first-round bye in the playoffs. Oh, and they're doing this with two of their three stars missing most of the last two months.

As much as I love Shane Battier (he's up there with Iverson, Garnett, Duncan, and Trenton Hassell as one of my favorite players), having him, Juwan, and Rafer playing good ball aren't the reason they're successful in the West. They're playing good ball because T-Mac is making them better.

big daddy russ
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
King James overrated. wow yall are dumb. Yeah his numbers are down a little bit but look at the team they are playing at yop of the east right now they are a muhc better team than they were last year. This guy will be one of the top 10 greatest all time. Without james the cavs might win 30 games for a whole year.
No defense and he doesn't make his teammates better.

Most talented? Now that's a completely different argument and he'd be on the short list for that award, but he's not consistent, he doesn't play defense, and his teammates are carrying themselves instead of him making them better.

Is there a center in the East better than Z? Maybe Ben Wallace (though his game has slipped since being in Chicago) and Jermaine O'Neal when he plays there. Still, Ilgauskas is the best low post offensive threat in the East, and Drew Gooden's a long, athletic PF. Sure, he looks like Kate Moss on a diet, but he's a great defender.

With a shored-up frontcourt (the most important position on the floor during any game plays under the basket), an up-and-coming PG, a solid two-guard, and "one of the five best players in the NBA," the Cavs should be dominating the East.

Sadly, they're trailing the Wizards, who have almost no recognizable frontcourt. A 'tweener's playing the four, Brendan Haywood isn't much at the pivot, and stinkin' Gilbert Arenas is their best player.

Who's Gilbert Arenas, and why are we mentioning him in the same breath as a guy twice his size, who scores as much as him, and has those same skills running the point?

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder.:thinking:

Maybe Arenas is a better player than LeBron? Nooooooooooooo, that couldn't be it. After all, we all know LeBron's the King.

themsu97
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
comparing LeBRon to Griffey Jr... there is a reason Jr has fallen off... its called playing hard all the time and it took a toll on his body... Jr is still one of the greatest...

Macarthur
02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
All ya'll putin Tim Duncan need a re-think. His numbers are roughly the same has they have been his whole career and this year the only help he has is Parker and Ginobli.

I agree. The Spurs are very dangerous because they are an older team so they are somewhat crusing through the regular season. Don't forget they were a call either way of beating the Mavs last year. They will be there in the Western Conf. finals again.

I'll tell you a team that is overrated is the Suns. I get so tired of the national media getting on their knees for the Suns. They will not win until they play defense. It has been proven year after year, yet people still push the Suns. Plus, Nash is brittle and you saw what they have without a healthy Nash.

Emerson1
02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Carmello Anthony

bandera7
02-21-2007, 07:42 PM
I think that many of you who think Duncan is over rated are crazy. I mean, every body has their opinion. But one day just sit and watch Duncan play. He is like liquid, he is so hard to cover. He is not only really good, he is really consistent. His numbers are there just about every night. Yes, I AM a huge Spurs fan, so my opinion is somewhat biased, but still, Duncan is amazing, Spurs fan or not. I will say the same about Dirk, I despise the Mavericks organization because of Cuban, but Dirk is out of control good. Try looking at Duncan without your loyalty in mind and I think that you will see an amazing and consistent player.

necks_c/09
02-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by BIG_STICK
King James overrated. wow yall are dumb. Yeah his numbers are down a little bit but look at the team they are playing at yop of the east right now they are a muhc better team than they were last year. This guy will be one of the top 10 greatest all time. Without james the cavs might win 30 games for a whole year. they might only win 30 with him anyway:D

i think melo is the most overrated.....sure he averages the most ppg....but idc......

he doesnt do the little things....he just takes the ball and goes.....he doesnt make his teammates better at all....and if he really was that good....shouldnt they be a better team than what they are

Emerson1
02-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Gilly's stats tonight

4/22 FG , 1/11 3PT

htowntransplant
02-26-2007, 01:46 AM
allen iverson. i didnt like how everyone began raving that denver was going to be the team to beat in the west when melo and iverson were both out there healthy. they look everything besides an unbeatable team. iverson hasnt made that team any better.

BILLYFRED0000
02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Well I watched AI play last night and he still has the ability. I think he can still carry a team on his back. And Tim Duncan sure is not done yet. How bout Peja? He has not been good for a couple of years and people still act like he was still playing the way he did with the Kings before CW got his knee busted.

burnet44
02-26-2007, 12:41 PM
kobe

ok fire away

he will never win one by himself
no matter how many shots he takes
he has to share
he cant
too many jerseys to sell
and
If he takes enough shots
he will get into the HOF

its all about Kobe

he makes AI look like someone who shares

AI is overated
wont win one ethier
he cant
same a Kobe
Me Me Me

District303aPastPlayer
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
i never did care for Michael Jordan who is given the title that Bill Russell so rightfully deserves

big daddy russ
02-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i never did care for Michael Jordan who is given the title that Bill Russell so rightfully deserves
:clap: :clap: :clap:

crzyjournalist03
02-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Right now, I'd have to say Steve Nash.

Before everybody jumps on me, let me explain. Does he help his team win? Yes. Is he invaluable to his team? Yes.

But, at least to me, since his injury and subsequent slide by the Suns, everybody talks about him like he's the ONLY thing carrying the Suns. That roster has way too much talent to tank the way they did when he went down. Now, a point guard is undoubtedly the most important part of the game since they run the offense, but I believe that Steve Nash is a top 10 to 15 player in this league...no way he's the best! If he wins a third straight MVP, he'll do something MJ nevert did...and that's just wrong! He is the best player on one of the best teams...but Dirk and Duncan are doing the same thing with less talent around them.

themsu97
02-26-2007, 02:46 PM
they are all overrated... the problem with ESPN and the other sport outlets is that we are now so infatuated with who is the best... doesn't matter... the media needs to get over it and just report the news... the biggest flop... the best shot... who cares... kind of like Espn's greatest athletes of the 20th century... how biased is that? #33 was Secretariat... a horse... no offense... but Jordan was not the best athlete... Jim THorpe was better... heck even Babe Zaharias was better...did you know that at one time she was clocked in the low 90's throwing a baseball...