PDA

View Full Version : 2008 early football recruiting news / Aggies add to early haul...

g$$
02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
from Billy Luicci's M&W Report...

Maroon & White Fax/E-Mail Service
Volume 12 Fax #50, Monday, February 19, 2007
Billy Liucci’s Maroon & White Report. P.O. Box 10642 , College Station , Texas 77842 Phone 979-690-7361
SUPER SUNDAY! A&M ADDS BLUE-CHIP QUARTERBACK AND TAILBACK TO AMAZING EARLY HAUL

DORMAN, DEAN CHOOSE A&M
Texas A&M’s march towards a top ten 2008 recruiting haul continued on Sunday, when the Aggies picked up very important commitments from two of the state’s best players at their respective positions. The Ags landed the state’s most coveted dual-threat quarterback and one of the most talented and productive tailbacks in the Lone Star State , picking up commitments from Birdville QB Tommy Dorman and Katy RB Aundre Dean.
“I’m very excited and so were the A&M coaches,” explained Dorman. “Texas A&M was just the right fit for me. It was everything. The academics, the atmosphere, football…all of it. I just felt comfortable with the coaches, the way they run their offense, and how I fit into what they do at the quarterback position. Really, my last two visits left no doubt.”
In Dorman, the Aggies are getting a very heady, 6-3, 205-pound signal-caller who possesses a very strong and accurate arm and excellent mobility. Tommy is also an outstanding runner when he decides to head upfield, using his size and sub-4.6 speed to run through opposing defenses.
Dorman, a state top-30 prospect and possible national-100 selection, said that the Aggies told him that they had officially shut down their recruiting at the position. Tommy chose A&M over Texas -who had recently “approved” him for an offer.
As a junior, Dorman was 99-of-175 for 1,685 yards and 22 touchdowns (versus just one interception), earning 6-4A Offensive MVP honors. He added 749 yards and 14 TD’s on the ground on 109 carries. Tommy’s sophomore season was just as impressive. Dorman threw for 2,454 yards, 36 touchdowns, and 6 INT’s on 150-of-245 passing and ran for 527 yards and 5 scores on 89 carries.
Aundre Dean is a powerful and deceptively fast 6-1, 200-pound tailback. Dean, whose carry-the-load and move the chains style reminds me of Cedric Benson at the same age, has great vision, hits the hole hard, and is very tough to bring down. He’s also a 4.5 back who ripped off several long scoring runs last fall. This past season, he helped lead traditional power Katy to the 5A Quarterfinals, averaging close to 200 yards in four playoff games.
Aundre visited Oklahoma State on Saturday and, by the time he made it back to Houston , knew exactly where he wanted to be.
“I knew that A&M was the school for me, they had everything I was looking for-in football and academically. At Oklahoma State , things weren’t nearly as personal as what I saw and felt in College Station . I also liked the way the coaches recruited me from the start. They always let me know that I was a priority for them. On every trip I ever made to A&M, games or otherwise, I always felt that they were truly happy to have me on campus. I never doubted that I was going to get an offer and I can remember how excited I was when it eventually came through.”
Dean’s assessment of the Ags’ interest was right on. The talented tailback was one of A&M’s first early offers and has been targeted by the Aggie staff since the spring of his sophomore year.
Dean’s junior season totals jump off the page: 306 carries for 2,110 yards and 26 touchdowns. He also caught 2 passes for 54 yards, both of which he took to the house. As a sophomore, Aundre ran for 886 yards and 6 TD’s on 154 carries.
Dean and Dorman give the Aggies fourteen early commitments. A&M other early verbals include Colleyville Covenant Christian OL Jeffrey Hyde, Yates OL Leroy Chevalier, Pearland OL Brian Thomas, Roscoe OL Britt Mitchell, Jacksonville OL Joe Villavisencio, Nederland LB Dravannti Johnson, Brenham LB Kyle Mangan, Beaumont Central ATH Derrick Hall, Yates DE Damion Square, DeSoto DL Tony Jerod, Eisenhower DT Rod Davis, and Wichita Falls Rider DB Markelle Martin.

JUNIOR DAY UPDATE
In addition to Dorman and Dean, the Aggies played host to several other state top-100 prospects. The group wasn’t as large as A&M’s first two junior day turnouts, but there is plenty to talk about.
The list of Sunday visitors included A&M commitment and Pearland OL Brian Thomas, Stratford QB Andrew Luck, Pflugerville TE Chase Harper, DeSoto RB/ATH Cyrus Gray, Arp WR/ATH Cedrick Johnson, South Garland S Joseph Ibiloye, Beaumont Westbrook CB Michael Williams, and San Antonio Madison RB Devin Thomas.
From a physical standpoint, Joseph Ibiloye may have been the most impressive prospect in attendance. The South Garland athlete checked in at 6-3, 197 pounds and looks like the perfect fit at strong safety in A&M’s base defensive alignment. Ibiloye tripped to Oklahoma State on Saturday and nearly pulled the trigger on what would have been a surprising commitment. However, he decided against it, made the trip to College Station , and came away more impressed than he was the day before. If you haven’t figured it out by now, Joseph is still very open and is exploring all options. He would love an offer from Texas , but is also very serious about A&M, OU, and OSU.
DeSoto’s Cyrus Gray was the last player to leave on Sunday. The state’s most versatile back and electric return man spent plenty of time meeting one-on-one with Coach Fran and had an outstanding visit. Gray did not commit and would like to take a few visits before deciding, but I would keep an eye on the 5-11, 180-pound game-breaker. Oklahoma and Texas will both make serious runs at Cyrus, so signing him will be anything but easy. When all is said and done, however, I expect Gray to be end up joining his three DeSoto teammates in Aggieland.
San Antonio Madison RB Devin Thomas made a return trip to College Station on Sunday with his parents and brother. Thomas did not commit to A&M, but he seems like a great fit (from a talent and character standpoint) for the Aggies. He gives A&M three outstanding options for the second running back in this year’s class, joining Gray and Cy-Fair’s Sam McGuffie.
The Ags extended one new offer on Sunday and it went to Arp wideout Cedrick Johnson. A two-sport standout, Johnson was invited to and participated in Billy Gillispie’s Elite Camp last summer. At 6-4 and right at 200 pounds, Cedrick is a big, strong, and rangy pass-catcher who possesses outstanding athleticism, body control, and leaping ability. I’m not sure Johnson was expecting an offer and he seems pretty naïve to the recruiting process, so there’s really no telling whether he will wait things out or jump on the A&M offer after taking a couple of days to think things through.
Beaumont Westbrook DE Blake Chavis (6-5, 220) was unable to make the trip into town but sounds like he could soon become commitment No. 15 for the Aggies.
Finally, Oklahoma State picked up a top-100 commit over the weekend, when Stephenville QB Kodi Spano chose the Cowboys. On Friday, the Longhorns landed Mansfield Timberview ATH Antoine Hicks.

Phil C
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for update g$$. It does look like the Aggies are going to get a good class. I think Oklahoma will do well do since they have committments from three of the top 5 state players and I look for UT to do well also even though this year they have limited scholarships they can give according to my analysis which may be faulty. Please keep the updates coming.

g$$
02-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Thanks for update g$$. It does look like the Aggies are going to get a good class. I think Oklahoma will do well do since they have committments from three of the top 5 state players and I look for UT to do well also even though this year they have limited scholarships they can give according to my analysis which may be faulty. Please keep the updates coming.

You bet. A&M & Texas are off to good starts but it is a long way until next February. Lots can change for sure. OU will be in the mix too, & OK State is doing surprisingly well. It is just amazing how early recruiting begins. We just had NSD on Feb. 7th for goodness sakes! Gotta keep up with the pack though or be left behind. Take care.