PDA

View Full Version : Softball Pre-Season Poll

middleagecardinal
01-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Anyone know when the pre-season poll is due out?

Old Cardinal
01-27-2004, 07:44 PM
To M.A.C. I checked the Texas Girls Coaches Association and they gave no new posting for 2004...The person who heads up the posting is at ejhartrb@yahoo.com I know you have seen about as many of the 3A Select team players across the state as anyone, I am sure they would like to see how you would stack the best HS teams in a poll.

middleagecardinal
01-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm not real sure about the rankings. I feel confident that some teams from the past will not be in the top ten while some others remain. I think Bridge City, Sweeny, Lufkin Hudson, Caldwell, Bellville & LaGrange will probably be in there somewhere (no particular order). Maybe even Van, Atlanta, Mohanas. I think Decatur lost their pitcher to graduation. It's tough keeping up with this sport across the state. I've seen a lot of softball at summer team tourneys, but you don't always learn which high school these girls play for. Does any one have any input?

The Bull
01-28-2004, 02:14 PM
I agree with all the teams listed above. If I had to choose the top five it would probally be Bridge City, Lufkin Hudson, Van, Caldwell, and Kennedale in no particular order. The state champion should come out of Region III no questions asked.

middleagecardinal
01-28-2004, 02:45 PM
I think Sweeny might suprise some people this year.

Old Cardinal
01-28-2004, 09:32 PM
M.A.C.& Bull: I kind of agree with your assessments-- I see it Bridge City, Caldwell, Hudson, Sweeny, Hamshire-Fannett, Bellville, LaGrange, Van, Decatur, Barbers Hill, Sinton, LaFernia, Monahans, West, Borger, Snyder, Kennedale, Orangefield, Splendora, and Kirbyville....I guess Casey Anderson is still down at Sweeny? Misty Shaklee at Borger might bring that panhandle team through for a win in
Region I. Region III has at least 6 teams that can win it all! I look for dominate hitting to win the State Championship this year instead of the traditional dominate pitcher scenario that's prevailed in the past. Of course, the winner will have a dominate pitcher or two to support the hitting.

necks
01-28-2004, 09:50 PM
White Oak is loaded in reg 2.

Old Cardinal
01-28-2004, 10:55 PM
Can you give us some details on White Oak? I know last year they were supposed to be a stronger team for Region II.

Birdman
01-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Hey O.C., I think Casey is at Sealy, not Sweeny.

Eagle88
01-29-2004, 10:52 AM
So what do people think about Kirbyville Softball this year?

Ladycat684
01-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I think Kirbyville softball is gonna kick some butt this year

The Bull
01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Kirbyville softball team will struggle early until they get their pitching situation squared away. I think they will compete in thier district and have a shot at the playoffs as maybe the second or third place team. The district they are in is a very tough one load with good teams. Hudson, Diboll, Central-?, and Huntington (good young team last year may do well this year in district). If nothing else it should be a interesting year. Good Luck to everybody.

The Bull
01-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Kirbyville softball team will struggle early until they get their pitching situation squared away. I think they will compete in thier district and have a shot at the playoffs as maybe the second or third place team. The district they are in is a very tough one load with good teams. Hudson, Diboll, Central-?, and Huntington (good young team last year may do well this year in district). If nothing else it should be a interesting year. Good Luck to everybody.

Wildcat81
01-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Who's going to pitch since Holly's gone and how will she fair against other teams.

The Bull
01-29-2004, 01:59 PM
Not Sure who is going to pitch. Saw them play a game last year when Holly didn't ptich. Don't know who the girl was but she beat Jasper and did a pretty good job. Really have no clue.

Old Cardinal
01-29-2004, 04:08 PM
You are so right Birdman, Casey is at Sealy instead of Sweeny. I must be getting OLD...He can pretty well get as far as his talent can take him.

Old Cardinal
01-29-2004, 04:14 PM
By all rights Lufkin Hudson should win state every year. Being a semi-magnate school and recruiting Select team players from all over the Greater Lufkin area certainly has its advantages. I just wonder if the 600+ jobs lost when that big paper mill closed down in Lufkin, has cause any of their Select Team players to have to move? Is the girl named Christina Worley still their prime pitcher this season? She is a good one.

BHKrystal06
01-29-2004, 04:16 PM
What about Barbers Hill softball this year? What are the predictions for that?

Bell_06
01-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Old Cardinal:
You are so right Birdman, Casey is at Sealy instead of Sweeny. I must be getting OLD...He can pretty well get as far as his talent can take him.I thought Casey Anderson was a female. Someone must have pointed out the wrong person to me last year when we were playing Sealy.

necks
01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
White Oak returns 8 starters and their ace pitcher. They got to do it this yr..she's finally a senior...Good luck Ladynecks!

Brahma73
01-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Bell_06:

Old Cardinal:
You are so right Birdman, Casey is at Sealy instead of Sweeny. I must be getting OLD...He can pretty well get as far as his talent can take him.I thought Casey Anderson was a female. Someone must have pointed out the wrong person to me last year when we were playing Sealy.Who is he/she? :confused:

Bell_06
01-30-2004, 03:18 AM
He/She is the Sealy head coach.. was expected to dop wonders with the team last year... I had heard that Strum wanted to be hired by Sealy for softball guess that didn't work out... Hey have you seen the new Sealy high school?

middleagecardinal
01-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Casey Anderson is the head softball coach at Sealy and former head softball coach of Bridge City. Good people.

Old Cardinal
01-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Casey and Carmen Anderson were two very respectable citizens of Bridge City before moving. He incurred the rath of some of the Little League extremist around the area because he was a front-runner in building the Select team circuits and also the ASA etc: league buildups. He is a fun person and a good softball Coach. I would say, that given a little time he will build a SB dynasty in Sealy.

<small>[ January 31, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Bell_06
01-31-2004, 01:01 AM
So I take it that he is a HE... lol.. that was the question I had... someone had pointed out a female to me.. must have been his wife. Shame he doesn't get something going around here with ASA ... Some have tried, few have succeeded

Old Cardinal
01-31-2004, 01:16 PM
To Bell_06: Has there been any Coaching(3A) changes across your area? Can you give us a run down on the teams you are familiar with?

Dugoutcoach
02-01-2004, 12:23 PM
As pre-season "research" continues, one might want to note that Wharton, a "State Tournament Top Four" last year, behind freshman pitcher, Casey Matzke, had only one senior leave their highly competitive successful team, leaving them as a "force to recon with" in 04!

Bell_06
02-02-2004, 05:08 AM
Haven't heard of any coaching changes in this area. Bellville has a new JV coach coming in but little impact is expected in the program. Both the Sealy coach and Bellville coach will be in their second year with the programs, should be interesting who will come out ahead now that each have strong returning players to help built a program.

All I know is that the storm that hit us tonight (which is why I'm up at 4:08 am) will certainly not help the kickoff of the new season... Really disappointing for the kids... Now that whole 7 days of practice is reduced to 6.

Eagle88
02-04-2004, 11:09 AM
The new pitcher for the Kirbyville Softball team is Amy Goodwin.

Old Cardinal
02-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I know that Randy Ragsdale will bring a good 4A level team down into 3A over at WO-S. I would rank them about #10 in the State. I am not sure about the Silsbee team, they have a little potential but are in a stiff District situation in 3A...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PARTICULARS ON THE OTHER 4As THAT DROPPED DOWN?

someone
02-08-2004, 11:16 PM
Sealy should have a really good softball team this year they didn't lose to many people and they have gained some to

mistanice
02-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Old card, looks like Diboll will be at BC this Saturday for Scrimmage? It's what I hear.

middleagecardinal
02-09-2004, 08:21 AM
That is correct mistanice, along with Barbers Hill & PNG.

Big Red
02-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Eagle88:
The new pitcher for the Kirbyville Softball team is Amy Goodwin.EAGLE 88 WHO ELSE WILL BE PITCHING FOR K-VILLE BESIDES AMY?

Old Cardinal
02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
I am hearing that Lindale has some folks that can fill their gaps. Maybe they are going to be competitive again this year. If you look at the final four last year, there is a viable argument that they were the second best team of the four at the Tournament. I am also hearing that Sweeny might not be quite as strong as was first envisioned.... Does anyone know if the, Steve Dunn, that's now at Muleshoe, is the same one that was one that steered the All-State Committee,from down at Taft?... Mistanice, that is right-that is 4 very good teams warming up early-B.C., Diboll, Barbers Hill, and Port Neches-Groves. PNG takes the Select team SB very seriously and will have their merged HS team hitting on all cylinders by District time! The Gonzales girls was real good at BH, wonder if she graduated?

<small>[ February 09, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-09-2004, 11:12 PM
<small>[ February 09, 2004, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-09-2004, 11:13 PM
<small>[ February 09, 2004, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

18handicap
02-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I can tell you now that if this rain doesn't stop, very few of us will get our scrimmages in. We had ours cancelled with Texas City last night. We're having one on Saturday in Sweeny with Sealy, Bellaire, and Gonzales. We'll see how good of a groundskeeper I am!!

Dulce04
02-11-2004, 06:16 PM
By this time last year, the new pre-season posts were already out. Does anyone know why they are late this year?

Old Cardinal
02-11-2004, 06:54 PM
To Dulce 04---I look for the polls out at any time now...Tell us about the 3A teams around your area. Also are there any great 4As that you folks will be playing in the warmup games?...It's kind of a "limbo" situation at this time, in that some softball and baseball aces are still playing basketball.

slpybear the bullfan
02-11-2004, 10:47 PM
middleagecardinal:
...I'm not real sure about... I think Decatur lost their pitcher to graduation... Does any one have any input?No. Decatur Pitcher Kasi Dobbs is returning for her senior year before moving on to pitch for Tarleton.

Dulce04
02-12-2004, 10:15 PM
c

Dulce04
02-12-2004, 10:20 PM
The polls are out and Caldwell is ranked #2!!! 1.Bridge City 2.Caldwell 3.Lufkin Hudson 4.Sinton 5.Hamshire-Fannett 6.Lindale 7.LaGrange 8.Sweeny 9.Van 10.Bellville....Caldwell is scheduled to play Westside this saturday and I think Conroe Oakridge is supposed to be there but I'm not sure if they will play them. On the 17th we will play Bellville. On the 20-21 we will be at the Austin McCallum Tournament and then on the 24 we will play LaGrange. It's going to be a pretty challenging pre-season for us. I'll keep ya posted with scores later on!

middleagecardinal
02-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Good luck Dulce04. I'm pretty suprised that H-F is even in the top ten. Not a bad team at all, but not top ten in my opinion. But what do I know. None of it matters anyway, that's why they play the game.

The Bull
02-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Where is this poll located? I checked the girls coaching association web site, but the poll there is from last year. I agree with most of the top teams listed. Bridge City, Hudson, Sinton, Lindale, Van, and Caldwell should be very strong. I have to agree with middleagecardinal H-F is not a top ten team, but who knows when the polls came out last year Kirbyville wasn't even ranked. The greatest thing about polls is that they give people something to talk about. I hope everybody has a great year. I wish the rain would go away so we could start playing.

middleagecardinal
02-13-2004, 01:35 PM
Bull, check again. I think it just posted.

www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.html (http://www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.html)

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 12:36 PM: Message edited by: middleagecardinal ]</small>

Dulce04
02-13-2004, 02:09 PM
THE POLLS ARE NOT POSTED YET. I GOT THE INFO FROM AN EMAIL FROM TGCA. THEY SHOULD BE POSTED ON THEIR WEBSITE ANYTIME NOW.

middleagecardinal
02-13-2004, 02:28 PM
It is posted. Don't you think Wharton is missing from the poll?

Old Cardinal
02-13-2004, 03:00 PM
The poll looks accurate to me. Hamshire-Fannett has two of the most improved Select team pitchers around and are correctly placed, in my opinion. Coach Shorty is loaded with emerging talent... I would rank on further---#11 Decatur #12 Wharton #13 White Oak #14 Borger #15 LaFernia #16 Diboll #17 Barbers Hill #18 Kennedale #19 A. Wylie & #20 West.....It kind of hard to rank folks- Waco Robinson, Canyon, Sealy, Jasper, Kirbyville, Snyder, Splendora all have good potential, if they can get it all together and fill some critical gaps.

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

pirate4state
02-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Did Kennedale lose alot of their starters from last years State Finalist team?? I figured they'd be in the top 10. I'm also a little surprised that Wharton wasn't up there. I think their best pitcher is only a sophmore!! I could be wrong. :) Sinton has to replace pretty much their entire infield. Coach V. will have them ready for district play!

RiverRatDad
02-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I'm also surprised Wharton was omitted, but who knows, maybe we can sneak up on some folks again. We had one senior we lost off the Region 4 champs, beating Sweeny for the district championship and beating Sinton in the regional semis (I think). The senior we lost played second, batted ninth. I believe she had lettered for three years. We have two pitchers, with the soph being the hoss. The girls this year seem to feel that they have some unfinished business. They enjoyed Austin, and they are working hard to return. This preseason poll is kinda like all-state picks......a popularity poll amoung TGCA directors. The only poll that really counts is the one at the end of the year. This poll does give us something to talk about if nothing else.

Old Cardinal
02-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I think that the State Tournament strength was #1 Kirbyville #2 Lindale #3 Kennedale #4 Wharton. Personally I don't think Kennedale or especially Wharton would compete very well at all in Region III. Region III had a host of teams that could easily have won the Crown,last year. I think the same situation is found this year. The huge number of 3A girls playing premium Select team ball residing in Region III make the difference...Just look at where the College scholarships are being given.

RiverRatDad
02-13-2004, 05:55 PM
I agree that Region 3 is the toughest, but Wharton played in Region 3 in 2001 and made it to the sweet 16, lost its first playoff game in 2002. Last year went to Austin with a freshman pitcher and Jr. shortstop being the only girls playing select ball, whereas a lot of teams in Region 3 play almost year round. I think Wharton could compete in Region 3, I'm just glad we don't have to.

Old Cardinal
02-13-2004, 06:44 PM
I would think it will come down to being Sinton or Wharton down in Region IV. There are a couple of other good pitchers in that Region, that may be able to pull off an upset. I give the edge to Sinton...good Coaching and good building program. You might be right; however,
Wharton may make it back to the Tournament.

<small>[ February 13, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
02-13-2004, 10:49 PM
I ran into Coach Marci Anderson of Buna and she has the ultimate rebuilding year! She graduated NINE Seniors off the softball team last season. Now that is a Coach with a challenge ahead of her this season....

18handicap
02-13-2004, 11:58 PM
As one of the coaches of a team in the top 10 and as the softball committee chairperson of the TGCA, I guess I need to put my two cents in because of a couple of comments on here (RiverRatDad - you owe me one for the cheap shot!)

1. THIS POLL HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TGCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS!! If I had something to do with it, Wharton would be in the top 10, not me. They made it to Austin and return a lot and until they are knocked off -- then they should be there (I won't remind RRD who their one loss was to and where or of the 10 run rule that we took at our place -- Wharton should be there!!) It's hard enough to get the softball coaches together -- we only meet once a year, the day before the state tournament.

2. This poll is written independently as a service by Butch Hart, of the Austin paper who does a heck of a job based on some of the information given to him. I applaud him for his efforts -- nobody is going to be perfect. The only way for him to do his job is to let him know how your favorite team is doing (or let me know and I'll e-mail him.)

3. Remember this is a PRESEASON poll, everything will work out as the season progresses. I see several surprises in all classifications.

Honestly, we are honored to be recognized to be on this list, but until we prove ourselves on the field, there are more deserving teams than us.

Sorry for the long diatribe, but after reading that this was a personal poll of the TGCA, I was very insulted. I know how the TGCA works, and the softball committee is not involved in this one iota. Speaking of the all-state selections, I have helped push and succeeded in getting the numbers of all-state players moved up to reward more ladies of our great state. I have also commented to the committee to put personal stuff aside and vote for the best players, but everyone is human and sometimes it happens.

18handicap
02-13-2004, 11:59 PM
I forgot -- RRD

Nothing personal, you know me too well and know how I feel about things, but I wanted everyone to know. We need to get together pretty soon and have a good time as usual.

Stay dry and warm!!

RiverRatDad
02-14-2004, 08:25 AM
18 - Thanks for the education, I went by the looks of the poll without knowing where it came from. I stand corrected. Guess I owe you a cigar on that one. I expect a dogfight in our district, as there is every year. Enjoy the target and good luck!

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: RiverRatDad ]</small>

18handicap
02-14-2004, 09:34 AM
You da' man......I always enjoy and respect our debates about our teams. People may read these and think we're going at each other, but we know that we each enjoy the debate and have a great time doing it.

I think that the teams and coaches from our district have a special relationship with each other. While we all battle each other tooth and nail between the lines, I have never seen anywhere else how all 6 schools supported the playoff teams last year during all of their postseason runs. For those that don't know, there were playoff games in which all of the district coaches were there, cheering for their district counterparts to continue representing them in the playoffs!

District303aPastPlayer
02-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Sinton Ranked #4? Am i missing something about our softball program. I know we are returning a great senior class that has talent at every sport. Our senior ace is back, (Deleon). She should carry most of the work load this year im another run at gettin to the tourney.

Old Cardinal
02-14-2004, 05:10 PM
I come to the defense of Butch Hart....I think that he did a good job of distributing the top 10 out into all 4 Regions represented. To be quite honest,it would be an easy argument to have all of the top 10 from Region III. That's where the serious Select teams are feeding players to the 3A HS teams!...As for the Texas Girls Coaches Committees-I figure Steve Dunn as Chairman of your All-State Selection Committee will place at least 5 Muleshoe players on this seasons All-State team. Last year he managed to trade-out and get two from his team at Taft! Before I would attack a dedicated caring Sportwriter from Austin, I would take a look at how the committees that you have function. As far Sinton, I think young Ms. Deleon is an ace pitcher capable of bringing her dedicated skilled team to the final four Tournament!

18handicap
02-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Where did I attack Butch? I said that I "applaud his efforts" and told everyone that he needs and wants input on the poll.

I'm glad that he takes the time and effort to do this.

All I can say about the selection committee is that there are coaches who are out for their own interests as there are people in all lines of work who do the same. Attacking by name is not a great idea -- work with us to make it a better deal for our girls.

18handicap
02-15-2004, 10:38 AM
I forgot -- there is no such person as the chairperson of the all-state selection committee. Each committee is split up according to conference and they choose as a group. The problem in 3A last year is the MANY coaches DID NOT NOMINATE THEIR KIDS!!!

The only chair positions are for the chairperson and vice chairperson of the softball committee which is separate from the all-state committee. We are the softball steering committee of the TGCA, but we do pick the all-star teams.

This year as chairperson, I have pushed for expansion of the all-star and all-state teams which was done, get information out to about 250 coaches on my e-mail list everytime I hear news from the UIL, wrote letters to the ASA, NFHS, & UIL on our concerns about the new bat rules, and helped write the UIL legislation that will give coaches a chance to flip a coin for a one or 2out of 3 series in 2005 if they don't agree.

Dugoutcoach
02-15-2004, 11:20 AM
We would appreciate making the All-State selections more equitable and fair and a "better deal" for our girls. One would surmise that individuals at the state committee levels that are not capable of being fair and impartial and only focusing on furthering their own self interest and the interest of their team players would have to be "singled out" by name in order for the (hopefully) majority of other "powers at be" to rectify the the obviously politically influenced selection results of last year! 18, you might want to post something here and send information to coaches on your database on how one might go about making this a "better deal" for our girls. (it will be a challenge to do this and still provide anonymity for the self-serving culprits who have already infiltrated your ranks - good luck!!!, I have never seen a "WANTED POSTER" without a name or face - and believe me it did not take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened last year - and who was behind it!)
"Looking forward for the BETTER DEAL"

Old Cardinal
02-15-2004, 01:22 PM
I all fairness, the selection of the All-Star teams has not been questioned. Overall, everyone respects your main committee. I too look forward to the All State player selection to be more well thought through in the future. There are some very good people in your organization...I have never seen a Poll that all could agree with. I do think that Hart has to balance teams from all the regions to make a Poll. I have heard some very good things about your organization, but a host of complaints about your All State selection mechanism. I am sure that you folks can work it out, to the benefit of all the girl athletes.

BHKrystal06
02-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Barbers Hill should be good this year, they've got 3 or 4 freshman playing on the Varsity team... What do ya'll think about BH this year?

Old Cardinal
02-15-2004, 05:50 PM
To BHKrystal: I like Barbers Hill and ranked them # 17 in an extended novice 3A Poll. Realizing you are a little young, you can only improve. Starting 4 quality Freshman may pay dividends in the future. Over at Bridge City, Coach Sissy culled down and only kept 5 Freshman for additions to her JV team, all steeped in quality select team ball. Others may qualify to make her HS program with another year or two of year round Select training....I look for BH and BC to have really ace teams when you girls are Seniors. You know Krystal, Coach Byrd, over there, is one of the top batting Coaches in Texas HS baseball. I would get him to help you younger girls in the off season to learn to hit HRs. I saw Mike Epstein, batting Coach from the Padres, work with the 7 teams of different age groups for the Beaumont Blast Select Team Association, with marvelous results. I see Coach Sam Moore, with "The Zone" in Orange, training girls to really smash a softball. You guys are lucky in BH, you have an in-house expert to be your off-season batting Coach, in Coach Byrd. I would take advantage of that!

18handicap
02-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Hopefully, we'll have the all-state meeting will be fair and I'll bring that topic up when the meeting starts and then I'm out of it -- the committee has to do it's job.

Also, we have expanded the number of girls from the current 15 per classification (75) to 28 from each classification (= number of all-stars times 2) (125). This may help solve some of the problem and get more deserving girls recognized.

One problem with the 15 in the past is that we had girls make the all-star team that didn't make the all-state team. I believe that these should work hand-in-hand. So with 28, this problem should be solved, also.

Keep me informed of issues that I can help out with and I'll do my best to stay informed.

3afan
02-15-2004, 08:00 PM
i have a 3A game this year ... kaufman @ crandall

BHKrystal06
02-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Old Cardinal:
To BHKrystal: I like Barbers Hill and ranked them # 17 in an extended novice 3A Poll. Realizing you are a little young, you can only improve. Starting 4 quality Freshman may pay dividends in the future. Over at Bridge City, Coach Sissy culled down and only kept 5 Freshman for additions to her JV team, all steeped in quality select team ball. Others may qualify to make her HS program with another year or two of year round Select training....I look for BH and BC to have really ace teams when you girls are Seniors. You know Krystal, Coach Byrd, over there, is one of the top batting Coaches in Texas HS baseball. I would get him to help you younger girls in the off season to learn to hit HRs. I saw Mike Epstein, batting Coach from the Padres, work with the 7 teams of different age groups for the Beaumont Blast Select Team Association, with marvelous results. I see Coach Sam Moore, with "The Zone" in Orange, training girls to really smash a softball. You guys are lucky in BH, you have an in-house expert to be your off-season batting Coach, in Coach Byrd. I would take advantage of that!Thank you, Coach Byrd is a great coach and he's also my geometry teacher! I like him.

18handicap
02-15-2004, 08:17 PM
We played your team in the Regional Quarterfinals two years ago in Dickinson and had to go extra innings. You had (and still have) a good team and a very strong softball program. I wish your team the best of luck in 2004. Hopefully, we can get the fields dry soon!!!

Old Cardinal
02-15-2004, 10:28 PM
Tomorrow night- Feb 16 a special softball game will be held at McNeese State University in Lake Charles LA. Bridge City Cardinals have accepted the invitation to play the #1 team in Louisiana-Teurlings Catholic from Lafayette, LA. This special exibition game pits two good teams- representing each state. JV at 5 pm and Varsity 6:30 pm.....This coming weekend(Feb. 19-21), the Bridge City/Hamshire Fannett Classic will be held at Ford Park in Beaumont, TX-- where 28 teams will enjoy a Softball kickoff bonanza. On Feb 28, they will face PNG a good 4A unit. Then on Feb. 28 they will face a series of Louisiana's best big enrollment school teams in the St. Louis Classic again at McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA. On Mar 2 they play #5 ranked H-Fannett for their opening District game. On Friday March 5 they play a high quality(2850) enrollment Kingwood-5A school out of the Houston area... The #1 ranked 3A team has chosen to play the very best teams available from a two-state hand-picked group. They certainly have not chosen a pansy pre-season schedule to protect their #1 ranking! Good luck to the Cardinals on there stout scheduling warmups.

<small>[ February 15, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

The Bull
02-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a rough road. Bridge City needs to play a tough pre-season schedule becasue they play in a weak district and they will not be put to the test unitl the playoffs, maybe not even until the second or third rounds. Good luck to the cardinals hope they do well this season.

tfan10
02-17-2004, 11:50 AM
I was surprised that Wharton was not included in the top 10- they have 4 returning seniors including their shortstop who signed with Texas A&M, an outstanding jr. center fielder,and a soph pitcher who also plays select ball (along with the shortstop who plays w/ Impact Gold) These girls are determined to show that they deserved to be in the Final 4 last year. Let's hope they play well again this season.

Old Cardinal
02-17-2004, 05:56 PM
In reality, I would really be surprise if any team from Region IV is really in the top 10 statewide. They just have to include all Regions as a courtesy.

18handicap
02-18-2004, 01:31 AM
Don't forget that most of the members of 28-AAA were in Region III for a long time and did quite well. We're all close enough to the Houston & SE Texas area to have many of our kids play a lot of select ball also. I'm trying to remember who took Splendora to the final out in the regional finals two years ago and knocked BC out in the Area round......seems to me that I don't remember, but I know they are in Region IV now.

middleagecardinal
02-18-2004, 08:14 AM
Sweeny

RiverRatDad
02-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Quit it 18, you are killing me!!!! PM me with the results from yesterday.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Oh yes I remember. Our pitcher was a freshman back then. She is a Junior All-Stater now and she is backed up by a 65 mph Sophomore.

The Bull
02-18-2004, 09:02 PM
I got news for you people who start quoting speeds for pitchers. There are very few pitchers in the state that throw sixty and above on a regular basis and if they are doing it then they are D-1 material. I call college games regularly and very few pitchers throw that fast. Besides its now how hard you throw it what you do with it when it leaves your hand. I gotta call you on that one old cardinal. Tough lost for Bridge City, but they will bounce back and do well this season. Good luck to all the teams.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Bull, Bring your "gun" this weekend. You a going to be surprised! The Select team pitchers are really getting better...Go time the Kelly pitcher(Verde) for starters...Time Shalayne Blythe-PNG. Two years ago, I could agree with you, but we now have 12 & 13 year olds at 56 mph around Texas. Go to some of the big Tournaments for Select teams this year, things are changing very rapidly. Also, look at the Ford Park fences, a 12 year old Taylor Trojack, for the Blast knocked one over the fence. The present College girls don't get one over that type fence very often, things are changing at a phenomenal rate!

<small>[ February 18, 2004, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

18handicap
02-18-2004, 10:21 PM
Cardinal,
You know I'm just giving you a hard time. I knew that your BC team would be really good by the time the pitcher was a little older. I just wanted you to remember that there is some quality ball being played in Region IV.

Old Cardinal
02-18-2004, 11:02 PM
I love to keep it stirred! I tell you what, Casey Anderson is a good Coach and he will bring that Sealy team around if there is any talent available. 18, this select team phenomenon is just amazing, the Beaumont Blast program has placed ALL OF THE GIRLS that complete the 18& U training-- on either 4 year or 2 year scholarships for the last FOUR years. The smart Coaches, Randy Ragsdale, Sissy Lemons, Coach Shorty and a few others are at every year round Tournament at the complex. Even the Colleges are playing exibition games there(during the select team Tournaments) just to get the players familiar with their programs. It's a suttle way of recruiting. At the Nationals, 140+ teams of 18 & U AFA players, Scouts were furiously taking notes and truly scouting. It was beyond my imagination. I think Coach Sissy Lemons(BC) and Coach Shorty(H-F) are rewriting the manual for HS Coaching innovation, starting this weekend..What is interesting is the dedicated Select team Coaches and the HS Coaches are fast friends around here. They support and work together quite well. The big ego types just don't seem to fit in on either side of the Coaching spectrum.

ALLSPORTSGUY
02-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Old Cardinal:
Oh yes I remember. Our pitcher was a freshman back then. She is a Junior All-Stater now and she is backed up by a 65 mph Sophomore.OC, I know you are passionate about BC sports in general, I also back BC in all sports as well. I think you went alittle overboard with the back up pitchers speed or you got the numbers transposed (56 vs. 65). I believe BC will be playing some good softball by district.

Eagle88
02-19-2004, 11:22 AM
I went to the Kirbyville scrimmage on Tuesday they have Sophomore Any Goodswin pitching and Freshman Kayla Harris Pitching on Varsity. They are attending a tourney today and tomorrow

Big Red
02-19-2004, 05:01 PM
Eagle88:
I went to the Kirbyville scrimmage on Tuesday they have Sophomore Any Goodswin pitching and Freshman Kayla Harris Pitching on Varsity. They are attending a tourney today and tomorrowI HEAR THEY HAVE A LEFT HANDED PITCHER ALSO. A LOT OF PEOPLE SEEM TO THINK KIRBYVILLE WILL BE STRUGGLING THIS YEAR WITHOUT TANKERSLEY. I AGREE TANKERSLEY WAS A GREAT PITCHER, BUT SHE WASN'T THE ENTIRE TEAM LIKE SOME SAY. I THINK KIRBYVILLE WILL DO FINE THIS YEAR. GOOD LUCK CATS!

Old No. 7
02-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Eagle88:
I went to the Kirbyville scrimmage on Tuesday they have Sophomore Any Goodswin pitching and Freshman Kayla Harris Pitching on Varsity. They are attending a tourney today and tomorrowLet us know how the tourney goes.

Old Cardinal
02-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Scores for Kirbyville at the Tournament this weekend....LC-M 2 Kirbyville 0; Kelly 3 Kirbyville 0; Kirbyville 5 Woodville O; Bridge City 4 Kirbyville O; I did not get the score on Kirbyville and Anahuac...These were 55 minute Pool games lasting about 3 innings, just for practice.,

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

middleagecardinal
04-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
...I'm trying to remember who took Splendora to the final out in the regional finals two years ago and knocked BC out in the Area round......seems to me that I don't remember, but I know they are in Region IV now.

Hey 18, I can't remember the score (5-3 maybe). BC left 10 on base and committed 5 errors. Oh what could have been.