PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 11:02 AM
:inlove: OMG - new station "LITHIUM 24" playing grunge & 90s alternative music :inlove: :inlove:

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:inlove: OMG - new station "LITHIUM 24" playing grunge & 90s alternative music :inlove: :inlove: grunge and 90s? I'm glad XM doesnt have it then! ;)

Ranger Mom
02-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
grunge and 90s? I'm glad XM doesnt have it then! ;)

I heard on Good Morning America this morning that Sirius and XM are merging!

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 11:52 AM
grunge and 90s? I'm glad XM doesnt have it then! ;) should have known YOU wouldn't like it since I love it!! :p :p

Ranger Mom
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
should have known YOU wouldn't like it since I love it!! :p :p

Hmmm.....I wonder if me and IHStangfan have anything in common!:thinking:

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Hmmm.....I wonder if me and IHStangfan have anything in common!:thinking:

dunno.

I know WE like 80's rock. IHStangFan probably only like country. :D

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 12:00 PM
dunno.

I know WE like 80's rock. IHStangFan probably only like country. :D well...first off...the crap they play on the mainstream country stations these days isnt country...its crap. REAL country consists of Merle, Waylon, Willie, and the old greats, Faron Young, Roger Miller, Hank Sr., etc. I also like Texas Country, REK, Cross Canadian, Randy Rogers, etc. I am also a huge classic rock fan and do enjoy some Metallica, Pantera, etc. on occasion. but mainly old country and old rock...

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 12:04 PM
well...first off...the crap they play on the mainstream country stations these days isnt country...its crap. REAL country consists of Merle, Waylon, Willie, and the old greats, Faron Young, Roger Miller, Hank Sr., etc. I also like Texas Country, REK, Cross Canadian, Randy Rogers, etc. I am also a huge classic rock fan and do enjoy some Metallica, Pantera, etc. on occasion. but mainly old country and old rock...

HAHA!! This is why I love Sirius (or any satellite radio) you don't have to listen to mainstream anything. I agree with your assessment of "real" country. I like the oldies better than today's "country".

You would enjoy the Classic Rewind station. :)

injuredinmelee
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
RM and I wee watchign the same channel cause I heard the same thing about the merger to be annunced today.

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 12:05 PM
HAHA!! This is why I love Sirius (or any satellite radio) you don't have to listen to mainstream anything. I agree with your assessment of "real" country. I like the oldies better than today's "country".

You would enjoy the Classic Rewind station. :) yup, on my XM radio in my work truck...its either ESPN radio or Willie's Place...very rarely do I venture from those two stations.

kaorder1999
02-19-2007, 12:07 PM
i just cant fathom paying for radio...not going to do it!

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i just cant fathom paying for radio...not going to do it! omg - i though the same thing, but i love it!!

big daddy russ
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
grunge and 90s? I'm glad XM doesnt have it then! ;)
Now you're just lying. We all know you have a man crush on Kurt Cobain.

P4S, I'd love that station. I have a hard time finding radio stations that I like because I don't like most current Texas Music, can't stand new country outside of Josh Turner, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, George Strait and Alan Jackson, and don't really like new rock. I'm pretty much always tuned in to either classic rock, ESPN radio or news talk.

When I go into Conroe, though, I can pick up a few good stations. 97.1 out of Houston may be the best "free" radio station out there and the Buzz and the Arrow aren't too bad.

College Station also has a real good rock station-- probably the best one I've heard in almost ten years. You know, back when they were all good.

I might have to look into XM or Sirius.

Tx Challenge
02-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i just cant fathom paying for radio...not going to do it!

Until you have tried it for a while, you may not enjoy it as much. I have had XM since it started. I am on the road all over the country and I love it. There are places in NM and Co that I travel that it is the only radio avail.

I dont like paying either, but there is always something on somewhere that I enjoy. Cant say there is a local station near me I enjoy so I will cough up the bucks for that

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 12:31 PM
omg - i though the same thing, but i love it!! yup, me too.....and for 9 dollars a month....it beats the pants off of conventional radio. The big plus though is the sports and news coverage.

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
Until you have tried it for a while, you may not enjoy it as much. I have had XM since it started. I am on the road all over the country and I love it. There are places in NM and Co that I travel that it is the only radio avail.

I dont like paying either, but there is always something on somewhere that I enjoy. Cant say there is a local station near me I enjoy so I will cough up the bucks for that amen....I too travel via work truck all over the place.....it comes in VERY handy in areas like Burns Flat, OK or Rock Springs, WY. LOL.

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 12:33 PM
yup, me too.....and for 9 dollars a month....it beats the pants off of conventional radio. The big plus though is the sports and news coverage.

I have a sweet deal. I don't have to pay a monthly fee. Someone loves me and pays for it!! :p ;)

oh and Russ I always knew you were cooler than IHStangFan. :evillol: haha j/k :D

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Now you're just lying. We all know you have a man crush on Kurt Cobain.

P4S, I'd love that station. I have a hard time finding radio stations that I like because I don't like most current Texas Music, can't stand new country outside of Josh Turner, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, George Strait and Alan Jackson, and don't really like new rock. I'm pretty much always tuned in to either classic rock, ESPN radio or news talk.

When I go into Conroe, though, I can pick up a few good stations. 97.1 out of Houston may be the best "free" radio station out there and the Buzz and the Arrow aren't too bad.

College Station also has a real good rock station-- probably the best one I've heard in almost ten years. You know, back when they were all good.

I might have to look into XM or Sirius. man crush on Kurt Cobain? I find it hard to have anything positive to say about someone who sucks on the business end of a shotgun...much less have a crush on them, LOL.

big daddy russ
02-19-2007, 01:18 PM
man crush on Kurt Cobain? I find it hard to have anything positive to say about someone who sucks on the business end of a shotgun...much less have a crush on them, LOL.
Dang, I didn't know how much you hated grunge. I actually thought you always liked it... well, up until about 30 minutes ago. It's always been my favorite type of music.

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Dang, I didn't know how much you hated grunge. I actually thought you always liked it... well, up until about 30 minutes ago. It's always been my favorite type of music. ah, I can listen to it sometimes, and I used to really like it...guess it musta been a phase, as it seems I have outgrown it. But on a personal level....I have no respect for Kurt Cobain or anyone else who sucks off a shotgun. Anyway, whats been up man? when yall gonna come visit us??

big daddy russ
02-19-2007, 01:31 PM
ah, I can listen to it sometimes, and I used to really like it...guess it musta been a phase, as it seems I have outgrown it. But on a personal level....I have no respect for Kurt Cobain or anyone else who sucks off a shotgun. Anyway, whats been up man? when yall gonna come visit us??
We do need to make a trip down there. We go into Houston a lot, but there's just been a lot going on lately. Planning the wedding, helping Amanda's dad around the house, running her younger bro around, and then she had a death in the family last week. Just been crazy.

But I definitely need to check out your new house. I may give you a call sometime this week and see if we can't get together in a couple of weeks.

When do you usually go to bed?

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 01:36 PM
We do need to make a trip down there. We go into Houston a lot, but there's just been a lot going on lately. Planning the wedding, helping Amanda's dad around the house, running her younger bro around, and then she had a death in the family last week. Just been crazy.

But I definitely need to check out your new house. I may give you a call sometime this week and see if we can't get together in a couple of weeks.

When do you usually go to bed? sounds good bro....I'll be down at the lease this coming weekend, and then the following weekend I'm in Dusty's wedding. After that I'm free. I usually lay down around 11pm.

big daddy russ
02-19-2007, 01:38 PM
sounds good bro....I'll be down at the lease this coming weekend, and then the following weekend I'm in Dusty's wedding. After that I'm free. I usually lay down around 11pm.
Sounds good. I'll be busy the next two weekends anyways, so that works out perfect.

And I usually get out of class around 8:30 or 9. I'll try to remember to give you a call tonight or tomorrow.

I've killed off too many brain cells. You understand. :)

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
IHStangFan - now we are even!

thread hijacked!

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 01:43 PM
IHStangFan - now we are even!

thread hijacked! werd

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 02:08 PM
311 - Come original

:evillol: :evillol:

Gobbla2001
02-19-2007, 02:54 PM
you're racist, rita...

311 - 3 of the 11th letter in the alphabet is KKK...

okay, we always had that little theory back in JR. High but we were young and dumb...

I would get sirius or xm, but I pick up The Buzz out of Houston and a classic/Texas country station out of Victoria and another station that plays Texas country etc... out of Victoria, so I'm all good...

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
you're racist, rita...

311 - 3 of the 11th letter in the alphabet is KKK...

okay, we always had that little theory back in JR. High but we were young and dumb...

I would get sirius or xm, but I pick up The Buzz out of Houston and a classic/Texas country station out of Victoria and another station that plays Texas country etc... out of Victoria, so I'm all good...

ummmmmmmmmkay.....I have no clue what you are talking about with the whole 311 thing, but okay.

Gobbla2001
02-19-2007, 03:07 PM
ummmmmmmmmkay.....I have no clue what you are talking about with the whole 311 thing, but okay.

you don't know your ABC's???

The 11th letter in the alphabet is K... 3K's... KKK... it was just our way of telling people not to listen to 311 in JR. High because we didn't like 'em or something...

you know kids

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 03:12 PM
you don't know your ABC's???

The 11th letter in the alphabet is K... 3K's... KKK... it was just our way of telling people not to listen to 311 in JR. High because we didn't like 'em or something...

you know kids

ROFL! :doh: :o :o :o

well that is just silly

Maroon87
02-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Just saw on TV that Sirius and XM have agreed to merge. Wahoo! That made my choice easy...:D

pirate4state
02-19-2007, 03:18 PM
does this mean we get more channels?? :thinking:

Gobbla2001
02-19-2007, 03:19 PM
BTW - IHS, if you likes the Waylon, I hear that the new Jason Boland and the Stragglers album, "Bourbon Legend" is the closest thing you can get to it...

I just bought a song off of the album on iTunes yesterday, "No One Left to Blame", it's hardcore Outlaw style...

Maroon87
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
does this mean we get more channels?? :thinking:

It means buy stock. :D

Cameron Crazy
02-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Sweet!

IHStangFan
02-19-2007, 03:21 PM
BTW - IHS, if you likes the Waylon, I hear that the new Jason Boland and the Stragglers album, "Bourbon Legend" is the closest thing you can get to it...

I just bought a song off of the album on iTunes yesterday, "No One Left to Blame", it's hardcore Outlaw style... I like Jason Boland, I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Maroon87
02-19-2007, 03:23 PM
XM, Sirius Agree to Blockbuster Satellite Radio Merger
Monday, February 19, 2007

By Peter Lauria

XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. (XMSR) and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. (SIRI) have agreed to merge, the two companies said Monday.

The deal would consolidate the only two companies in the emerging business of subscription-only satellite radio, and is sure to face tough scrutiny from federal regulators. Investors and analysts have been speculating about a deal for months.

The two companies said in a statement that Mel Karmazin, the CEO of Sirius, would become chief executive of the new company while Gary Parsons, the chairman of XM, would remain in that role.

Maroon87
02-19-2007, 04:30 PM
XM and Sirius Satellite Radio to merge
By SETH SUTEL, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK - XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. have agreed to merge, the two companies said Monday.

The deal would consolidate the only two companies in the emerging business of subscription-only satellite radio, and is sure to face tough scrutiny from federal regulators. Investors and analysts have been speculating about a deal for months.

The two companies said in a statement that Mel Karmazin, the CEO of Sirius, would become chief executive of the new company while Gary Parsons, the chairman of XM, would remain in that role. XM's CEO Hugh Panero will remain to oversee closing the of the deal, they said.

The deal would face significant regulatory hurdles in Washington, including a Federal Communications Commission rule that clearly states that one satellite radio provider cannot buy the other one. However, that rule could be waived.

A combination would also have to meet antitrust approval from the Department of Justice. The companies are expected to argue that they compete not only with each other but also with a growing base of digital audio sources such as iPods, mobile phones, and non-satellite digital radio.

XM and Sirius have both posted significant financial losses as they built up their programming lineups and recruited subscribers. Both stocks declined more than 40 percent last year on concerns about their continued growth in subscribers and softness in the retail market, but investors have held out hopes that a merger could bring costs down significantly.

Shareholders of XM and Sirius would each own approximately 50 percent of the combined company. XM shareholders would receive 4.6 shares of Sirius stock for each share of XM they own.

That would value XM shares at $17.02 each, based on Friday's closing prices, representing a premium of 22 percent from XM's closing value of $13.98 Friday. Markets were closed Monday for the Presidents' Day holiday.

The companies didn't say what the new company would be called, though they described it as a merger of equals. The new company's board will have 12 members, including Parsons, Karmazin, four independent directors named by each company, and one representative each from General Motors Corp. and Honda Motor Co.

News of a possible merger was reported earlier Monday by the New York Post.

On Friday, a Bear Stearns analyst said in a research note that a merger would have a good chance of overcoming regulatory obstacles.

Other analysts remain less sure. Sanford C. Bernstein analyst Craig Moffett said he gives the deal a "50-50" chance of passing regulatory muster.

Moffett said the deal could have a particularly tough time getting through the FCC, and is likely to opposed by the National Association of Broadcasters, a lobbying group that includes radio broadcasters. Moffett said it was "anyone's guess" as to whether the FCC would change its rule barring a consolidation of the two satellite radio companies.

un b weavable
02-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It means buy stock. :D

No, really.....does this mean we get more channels?

ILS1
02-20-2007, 05:06 AM
February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have
heard, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form
the nation's premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal
listeners. As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you
every day with the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and
SIRIUS broadcast a wide range of commercial-free music channels, exclusive
sports coverage, news, talk, and entertainment programming. Howard
Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB. NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News.
Additionally, the combined company will be able to improve existing
services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat video as well
as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the
combination will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both
companies will continue to operate independently. We will continue to provide
you with the uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding
customer support - that you have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do
not anticipate any changes in your service during the merger process,
however, please call our customer care team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you
have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and
continuing to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering
more of the Very Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO

pirate4state
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
:inlove: OMG - new station "LITHIUM 24" playing grunge & 90s alternative music :inlove: :inlove:

YES ----------- they are playing "Herion Girl" by Everclear :inlove: :inlove: