Originally posted by kepdawg
Does anybody still watch it?

I haven't watched in a while.

It's just not the same anymore.

District303aPastPlayer
02-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
It's just not the same anymore.

never before has anyone said anything more true...

tigerpride_08
02-18-2007, 10:32 AM
i have the best of Will Ferrell so thats all that i need...:D

Gobbla2001
02-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Will Ferrell is now gone, Sandler and Farley (along with everyone else from that great cast) are gone... now we have Mr. Good Burger and it is turning into Nickelodeon...

so no, been a while since I've watched it...

ASUFrisbeeStud
02-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Will Ferrell is now gone, Sandler and Farley (along with everyone else from that great cast) are gone... now we have Mr. Good Burger and it is turning into Nickelodeon...

so no, been a while since I've watched it...

I completely agree. I have the "best of" nearly all the greats but honestly I think the Chris Farley one is the best, Sandlers is pretty good too.

Anyone remember the Schmidts Gay Beer sketch, funny stuff right there.

Gobbla2001
02-18-2007, 03:16 PM

That one is on both the Farley and Sandler "best of" videos, right?

I love the Chris Farley one, I roll laughin' the whole time... "El Nino is Spanish for..... the Ninnno"

I actually think my avatar dealy on my AOL IM is Chris Farley doing the Chip n' Dales skit, or maybe the motivational speaker one...

Maroon87
02-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Yeah that was funny. SNL tends to go in cycles. I thought it stunk after Mike Myers and those guys left but then came Will Ferrell, Farley, Sandler, and Jimmy Fallon. Just wait...it'll get better.

carter08
02-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Old SNL was amazing

But now...

Mad TV is better

tigerpride_08
02-18-2007, 03:20 PM
use to watch Mad TV but not anymore...

NDFootball
02-18-2007, 07:16 PM
cowbell...

enough said

bulldogman06
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Yea, i have the best of Will ferrel 1 and 2, Chris Farly, and Adam Sandler, and I could watch them all day. I love celebrity jeopardy

88bobcats
02-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Andy Samberg's videos are the only consistenly funny bits on the show, much to my chagrin.

Lazy Sunday
Natalie Portman's rap
"D" in a box with Justin Timberlake......

Samberg's a genius!

burnet44
02-18-2007, 10:59 PM
god you guys are young
still living with momma I see

classics

"Bass-O-Matic
dan ackroid

"Killer Bees"
all the cast

"Samari Warrior"
belushi

"Blues Brothers"

"Weekend Update"
"Jane you ignorant slut"
Curtain-Ackroid

"Jaws"
Radner

first season cast

1975-76

Dan Aykroyd
John Belushi
Chevy Chase
George Coe (1975)
Jane Curtin
Garrett Morris
Laraine Newman
Michael O' Donoghue (1975)
Gilda Radner

First episode
October 11, 1975
George Carlin / Janis Ian, Billy Preston

later guests

Paul Simon / Simon & Garfunkel, Randy Newman, Phoebe Snow
Rob Reiner / Joe Cocker
ABBA
Anne Murray
Dudley Moore / Neil Sedaka
Peter Boyle / Al Jarreau
Desi Arnez
Jill Clayburgh / Leon Redbone
Anthony Perkins / Betty Carter
Ron Nessen / Patti Smith
Raquel Welch / Phoebe Snow, John Sebastian
Madeline Kahn / Carly Simon
Dyan Cannon / Leon and Mary Russell
Buck Henry / Gordon Lightfoot
Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge
Lily Tomlin / James Taylor
Norman Lear / Boz Skaggs
Eric Idle / Joe Cocker
Karen Black / John Prine
Steve Martin / Kinky Friedman
Buck Henry / The Band
Dick Cavett
Paul Simon / Paul Simon, George Harrison
Jodie Foster / Brian Wilson
Candice Bergen / Frank Zappa
Ralph Nader / George Benson
Ruth Gordon / Chuck Berry
Fran Tarkington / Leo Sayer, Donny Harper Singers
Randy Newman
Steve Martin / The Kinks
Sissy Spacek / Richard Baskin
Brodrick Crawford / Levon Helm, Dr. John, The Meters
Santana
Elliot Gould
Shelley Duvall
Buck Henry / Jennifer Warnes, Kenny Vance
Steve Martin / Jackson Browne
Madeline Kahn
Hugh Hefner
Charles Grodin / Paul Simon
Ray Charles
Buck Henry / Leon Redbone
Mary Kay Place / Willie Nelson
Miskel Spillman / Elvis Costello
Steve Martin / Randy Newman, Dirt Band
Robert Klein / Bonnie Raitt
Chevy Chase / Billy Joel
Art Garfunkel / Stephen Bishop, Art Garfunkel
Jill Clayburgh / Eddie Money
Christopher Lee / Meat Loaf
Steve Martin / Blues Brothers
Richard Dreyfuss / Jimmy Buffett
The Rolling Stones
Fred Willard / Devo
Frank Zappa
Steve Martin / Van Morrison
Buck Henry / The Grateful Dead
Carrie Fisher / The Blues Brothers
Walter Matthau
Eric Idle / Kate Bush
Elliott Gould / Peter Tosh & Mick Jagger
The Doobie Brothers
Cicely Tyson / Talking Heads
Rick Nelson / Judy Collins
Kate Jackson / Delbert McClinton
Gary Busey
Margot Kidder
Richard Benjamin / Rickie Lee Jones
Milton Berle
James Taylor
Maureen Stapleton / Linda Ronstadt & Phoebe Snow
Buck Henry / Bette Midler

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
I found this intresting

opinions?

1975-80: "The Not Ready for Prime-Time Era"
This is still referred to by the majority of "SNL's" fans as the best era of the show's life. Stars who emerged from this era include Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, Al Franken, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, Paul Shaffer, and frequent host Steve Martin.

1980-81: "The Crappy Era, Part One"
Most of the cast and crew joined executive producer Lorne Michaels in jumping ship over the summer of 1980. TV viewers didn't embrace the fresh-faced cast, which included Gilbert Gottfried, Joe Piscopo, Charles Rocket, and a rarely-seen Eddie Murphy. The show's new executive producer, Jean Doumanian, was abruptly fired at season's end, as was most of the cast.

1981-84: "Eddie's Era"
Dick Ebersol came to the helm of the show in 1981, with Joe Piscopo and Eddie Murphy returning as cast members and dominating the show. Murphy, in particular, helped "SNL" rebound with a number of wildly popular recurring characters and impressions. Having become more famous than many of the show's hosts, he left for movie stardom in 1984. Jim Belushi and Julia Louis-Dreyfus were among the cast members who had to live in Murphy's shadow during this period.

1984-85: "The Era of Celebrity Cast Members"
Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, and Martin Short were already well-know when they joined the cast of "SNL" for this one-season era. (Crystal, in fact, had already hosted "SNL" once.) Crystal and Short thrived with a number of popular characters and impressions.

1985-90: "The Return of Lorne Michaels"
Lorne Michaels returned in 1985 to revive the struggling show, which had been faced with rumors of imminent cancellation by NBC. In 1986, after another critically-panned season, Michaels did away with the likes of Robert Downey Jr., Anthony Michael Hall, and Randy Quaid, and hired a new cast -- saving only Nora Dunn, Jon Lovitz, and Dennis Miller from the previous season. The new cast included Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Victoria Jackson, Kevin Nealon, and, eventually, Mike Myers. Critics and fans hailed the last four seasons of this era as the best since the first era.

1990-94: "Stuff the Cast with Featured Players, Fa La La La La, La La La La"
Lorne Michaels wanted stars in the wings, so he jammed as many featured players into the ensemble as he could, and it worked beautifully! As cast members Dennis Miller, Victoria Jackson, Jon Lovitz, and, later, Dana Carvey departed, Michaels simply gave popular featured players a raise to cast member status. Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, David Spade, and Julia Sweeney were among those who started as featured players before replacing exiting cast members. The release of a "Wayne's World" movie in 1992 rekindled interest in the show, and ratings were the highest they had been in a decade.

1994-95: "The Crappy Era, Part Two"
This one-season era is referred to by some as the worst in the show's history; Despite the star power of Chris Elliot, Chris Farley, Janeane Garafalo, Michael McKean, Adam Sandler, and David Spade. Popular recurring characters were no where to be found and many sketches seemed to have no ending. One element of this Phil Hartman-less era which critics praised was the "Weekend Update" segment, anchored by then-relatively unknown comic Norm Macdonald.

1995-2000: "The Era of Talented Women"
"SNL's" audience found its way back during this era, and embraced a slew of recurring characters from Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, and Molly Shannon. The female ensemble of Oteri, Shannon, and Ana Gasteyer was praised as one of the most talented in "SNL's" history. On the political front, Bill Clinton's various scandals provided Darrell Hammond with plenty of material. (Monica Lewinsky herself showed up in a May 1999 episode.)

2000-present
Having gained attention for their send-ups of the closest presidential election in history, "SNL" is still going strong today. In 2000, Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey became the first co-anchor team in 18 years.

Many movies have been made that feature or star fictional characters who have appeared on "SNL." This list includes "The Blues Brothers" (1980), "Gilda Live" (1980), "Wayne's World" (1992), "Mo' Money" (1992), "Bob Roberts" (1992), "Mr. Saturday Night" (1992), "Coneheads" (1993), "Wayne's World 2" (1993), "It's Pat" (1994), "Casper" (1995), "Stuart Saves His Family" (1995), "Blues Brothers 2000" (1998), "A Night at the Roxbury" (1998), "Office Space" (1999), and "Superstar" (1999).

44INAROW
02-18-2007, 11:08 PM
The very first Saturday Night Live show was either the week we got married or the weekend after - but it was November 1975 for sure........ SNL was our entertainment the 1st year of our marriage (OK we did have another form of entertainment, but I won't GO THERE)) lol lol.......one of my favorite episodes was the one with the JAWS skit with the shark knocking on the door = acting like a Pizza delivery guy........ too funny........ Cowbell was a classic - Coneheads was great and 2 wild and crazy guys........ OMG......... and and Mr Bill......

Now, I TIVO the new shows, but usually FF to the Weekend Update and that's about all I watch.............. the reruns on E! Channel are much better than the new ones in my opinion.... Chevy Chase and Jane Curtain....... such chemistry...

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Q: How many "SNL" players have portrayed a sports figure who has hosted or co-hosted the show?

A: Four (Jim Belushi as Hulk Hogan, Billy Crystal as Howard Cosell, Chris Farley as John Madden, and Tim Meadows as O.J. Simpson).

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Q: How many "SNL" players are now dead?

A: Six (John Belushi, Chris Farley, Phil Hartman, Michael O'Donoghue, Gilda Radner, and Danitra Vance).

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Q: How many "SNL" players have appeared on "Sesame Street"?

A: 11 (Chevy Chase, Billy Crystal, Jane Curtin, Joan Cusack, Victoria Jackson, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mike Myers, Laraine Newman, Chris Rock, Martin Short, and Ben Stiller).

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:18 PM
Q: How many people have hosted five times or more?

A: 11: Steve Martin (13 times), John Goodman (12 times), Buck Henry (10 times), Alec Baldwin (9 times), Chevy Chase (9 times), Tom Hanks (7 times), Danny DeVito (6 times), Elliot Gould (6 times), Candice Bergen (5 times), Bill Murray (5 times), and Christopher Walken (5 times).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Who were the youngest hosts?

A: Date
----
Host
----

Nov 27, 1976
Jodie Foster
14 years
0 months
8 days

Nov 20, 1982
Drew Barrymore
7 years
8 months
29 days

Feb 24, 1990
Fred Savage
13 years
7 months
15 days

Nov 23, 1991
Macaulay Culkin
11 years
2 months
28 days

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How many hosts are now dead?

A: 24 (Desi Arnaz, John Candy, Peter Cook, Howard Cosell, Broderick Crawford, Chris Farley, Ruth Gordon, Phil Hartman, Madeline Kahn, Sam Kinison, Ted Knight, Billy Martin, Strother Martin, Walter Matthau, Robert Mitchum, Rick Nelson, Walter Payton, Anthony Perkins, Donald Pleasence, Ray Sharkey, Miskel Spillman, Brandon Tartikoff, Flip Wilson, and Frank Zappa).

Q: What was the longest time in between hosting appearances for a host?

A:

Madeline Kahn: 18 years, 2 months, 8 days (10/8/77-12/16/95)
Drew Barrymore: 16 years, 4 months, 0 days (11/20/82-3/20/99)
Bob Newhart: 14 years, 9 months, 1 day (5/10/80-2/11/95)

Q: How many Beatles have appeared on the show?

A: Three (George, Paul, and Ringo).

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Q: How many sports figures have hosted or co-hosted the show?

A: 21 (Charles Barkley, Howard Cosell, Chris Evert, George Foreman, Wayne Gretzky, Hulk Hogan, Derek Jeter, Michael Jordan, Alex Karras, Nancy Kerrigan, John Madden, Billy Martin, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, The Rock, Bill Russell, Deion Sanders, O.J. Simpson, George Steinbrenner, Fran Tarkenton, and Bob Uecker)

Q: How many political figures have hosted the show?

A: Eight (Georgia Senator Julian Bond, Presidential Candidate Steve Forbes, Mayor Rudy Giuliani, Rev. Jesse Jackson, Mayor Ed Koch, U.S. Senator George McGovern, Presidential Candidate Ralph Nader, and Presidential Press Secretary Ron Nessen).

burnet44
02-18-2007, 11:22 PM
Q: Did John Belushi's Samurai character ever speak an English line?

A: Yes. "I can dig where you're coming from," to Richard Pryor in Samurai Hotel on December 13, 1975.

88bobcats
02-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Who could ever forget "DEEP THOUGHTS, WITH JACK HANDY"?

Phil Hartman's "UNFROZEN CAVEMAN LAWYER" skits are some of the all-time greats.

All the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players" made the show what it was. Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman and Kevin Nealon revived the show at different times; but it continues to ebb and flow, roller-coasting up and down.

Right now, it seems to be in another trough, and Andy Samberg's videos are the only bits of late that have made me laugh aloud.