PDA

View Full Version : UT's 1963 National Championship Football Team

Phil C
02-17-2007, 06:29 PM
This was a different era. Teams that had top defenses were generally the MNC's during those times which is why Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, USC, Oklahoma etc were great during those years. But still it was the team that had a losing record could snake bite you. You have to remember that only ten regular season games were played back then and the odds of playing more than one or maybe two top teams during the regular season was remote. Of course in bowl games you would probably face a top ranked team close to your level. Plus a team that had a losing record was liable to catch you on a bad day and play above their heads that day and pull the upset. It was more commont then even though it happens now. For example TCU had a losing record in 1961 and yet pulled big upsets by beating Texas and tying Ohio State. UT had come close to getting an MNC in 1961 but TCU stopped that and the next year a 14 to 14 tie against Rice stopped them again. But 1963 was to be their year. It wouldn't be easy. This is a recap of the season.

First Texas went to New Orleans and stuggled but with a great defense UT beat Tulane 21 to 0. That year UT had a top defense against scoring and rushing defense. Most running plays only gained about a yard or two per play. UT also was great against scoring. They were also good on pass defense even though most teams made their yardage passing on them since they couldn't run on them.

Next the UT Horns beat Texas Tech 49 to 7.

Then UT beat Oklahoma State 34 to 7.

Then the big game against Oklahoma who was ranked No. 1. UT was ranked No. 2. The week before Oklahoma beat the prior year MNC USC by 17 to 12. USC had been ranked No. 1 before. This set up a showdown but UT defense dominated and UT scored 28 points to win 28 to 7. Three of the 4 UT tds were done on 4th and goal but very short yardage situations. This put UT No. 1 which was dangerous with 6 regular season games left.
Now UT had SWC games and these were to be the challenge indeed.

First UT build a 17 to 6 lead over Arkasnas but Ken Hatfield returned a punt for a td and made it closer 17 to 13 (He was to later return one the next year which helped Arkansas bet UT by one point in 1964). But the UT defense held on to win the game.

Then UT played a tough Rice team in Houston. UT won 10 to 6. Even though UT didn't score in the second half they didn't let Rice get into their territory one time and only allowed Rice 3 first downs in the second half. The two Walker Boys of Rice (I think they were Bill and Malcome) played a great defensive game.

Then UT played SMU who had helped Texas by beating Navy 32 to 28. SMU used a track star that started Navy and ran for a couple of tds the last one giving the Ponies the lead for good. Navy moved the ball but the 1963 Heisman Trophy Winner threw a pass for a td on the last play as Navy got deep in SMU's territory but a sophomore knocked the ball down. Texas struggled but scored 17 points and the defense held in the fouth quarter to save a 17 to 12 win.

The next week was Baylor and Baylor with their great quarterback John Trull and receiver Lawrence Elkins were ready for an upset. But the UT defense played great. They didn't challenge the Baylor receivers but they made them pay with hard hitting for each catch. This game surprised many people in that it turned to a defensive duel. But late in the third quarter UT RB John Stockton made the UT touchdown to give Texas the lead 7 to 0 which was to be the finals score. In the last few minutes UT was driving deep in Baylor territory when Stockton fumbled the ball back to Baylor. This could have been costly because a field goal would have given Texas a comanding leave with about two minutes to play. Baylor started passing and moved deep in UT territory when Trull threw what looked like a sure td pass but Duke Carlisle made a great interception to save the game for UT. Only secons remained in the game.

Next UT had an easier time against TCU winning 17 to 0 with the UT defense completely dominating the game.

The last game of the year was against the Aggies who played great and almost pulled an upset but UT scored the last td with 79 seconds to pull it out 15 to 13.

Navy was ranked No. 2 since they had only lost one game and beat the No. 3 team that year (Pittsburgh) 24 to 12. What was a shame that year was that with only one loss Pittsburgh didn't get invited to a bowl game. Navy had a scare the last game of the year barely beating Army 21 to 15 with Army at the Navy 2 yard line as time ran out and many felt like the officials were wrong letting it run out.

Anyway Texas No 1 played Navy No. 2 in the Cotton Bowl. The polls had already voted UT no. 1 since bowls didn't count but Navy made claims to it if they would beat UT. It didn't happen as UT whipped them 28 to 6 and thus UT was the MNC for 1963. Ironicially Navy's Roger Stauback was to come to the NFL as a Dallas Cowboy and lead the Cowboys to some great glory years. But that day it was a different story. One young boy went to Roger and asked for an autograph and Roger told him he didn't really want his autograph the way the Navy team played that day. The kid nodded in agreement and pointed to the UT team and said "But the Texas QB has too many people around him for me to get through to get his autograph."
:) I hope the kid got the autorgraph because it is something to treasure.

But that day and that year UT was the MNC in college football. Hook 'em!

dogdad
02-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Phil, as a young lad I was in attendence at the UT/SMU game in '63. Although I was a Mustang fan, I was in awe of Tommy Nobis who was the great LB for Texas.

Phil C
02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by dogdad
Phil, as a young lad I was in attendence at the UT/SMU game in '63. Although I was a Mustang fan, I was in awe of Tommy Nobis who was the great LB for Texas.

He was a great one. He had a great career in the pros and would have been even better if he hadn't suffered that knee injury in about his fourth year there.

burnet44
02-18-2007, 01:31 PM
and he was with atlanta
kinda like arizona

both black holes