PDA

View Full Version : Teen scores special bucket

kepdawg
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
By KARIN SHAW ANDERSON / The Dallas Morning News
ksanderson@dallasnews.com

ROCKWALL – It sounded like Elvis was in the building.

Mason Sevier sank the basketball neatly into the net Thursday, making the first basket of the game for the Cain Middle School Mustangs.

Watching from the front row, his father's face flushed, and his eyes watered.

"Everybody in there stood up and clapped and called his name," Cliff Sevier said.

It was a moment he and his wife, Teresa, didn't think they'd see.

"He's got Down syndrome," explained Mr. Sevier, a Rockwall City Council member.

When Mason was born, doctors suggested putting him in an institution.

Instead, his parents decided to raise him at home and send him to Rockwall schools, where he has been mainstreamed since kindergarten. His team's opponents were students he had known all through elementary school. Last year, he headed to Cain while his classmates moved on to Williams Middle School.

"He knows more students than I do," said Mason's special education teacher, David Gasewicz.

At Mr. Gasewicz's suggestion, Mason joined the school's "A" basketball team this season, suiting up for each home game but watching from the bench. He eagerly brings water to his thirsty peers and cheers them on.

"On the bench, he's always asking, 'When do I get to go in?' " said Mr. Gasewicz, who sits with Mason at every home game.

Coaches agreed before Thursday's game to let the 14-year-old eighth-grader make a layup to start the game.

The points didn't go on the scoreboard, but it didn't matter.

"It's all about being a part of" something, said Mrs. Sevier. "That's what he wants the most.

"Before this all started, he saw kids out on the football field, and he said, 'Mom, I want to play,' " Mrs. Sevier remembered.

"I started crying, because I had to tell him, 'No.' "

She sent an e-mail to a few friends Thursday morning to let them know that Mason was going to play in the game. Those friends sent it to their friends, and by the time the game began, hundreds were shouting Mason's name.

"It was amazing to see how things snowballed," Mrs. Sevier said.

Members of the seventh-grade cheer team made a last-minute change to their schedule and arrived in uniform, taking their seats in the stands right behind the Seviers.

Polly Redden had never met the Seviers, but she learned of them through friends after her son was born with Down syndrome.

Mrs. Redden, a third-grade teacher at Rockwall's Springer Elementary School, brought 4-month-old Bennett to see Mason play.

"It's such an inspiration for a child with a disability to see they can participate," Mrs. Redden said. "I could start crying."

Mrs. Sevier said Mason will want to watch video replays every day for years, even though his Mustangs ultimately lost to the Williams Wildcats.

Mason got a standing ovation from fans of both teams when he netted the ball, and that's what he'll remember, she said.

Mason stayed humble through it all.

"It's my team," he said. "My team."

Ranger Mom
02-16-2007, 02:43 PM
Awww.....that was a sweet story!:)

Bull19
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
WHY DIDNT THEY COUNT THE SHOT?

Phil C
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

are you serious?

carter08
02-16-2007, 02:47 PM

it was before the game

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
man, if they allowed those points to count and I were a coach, I'd have every kid from special ed out there makin' a shot before the game...

State Champs baby, you can't stop my Eds...

Bull19
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
AT LEAST LET THE SHOT COUNT....COME ON NOW ALL HE BASICALLY DID WAS MAKE A WARM UP LAY-UP.....LET THE KID PUT 2 POINTS ON THE BOARD. WHAT WOULD IT HURT?

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
AT LEAST LET THE SHOT COUNT....COME ON NOW ALL HE BASICALLY DID WAS MAKE A WARM UP LAY-UP.....LET THE KID PUT 2 POINTS ON THE BOARD. WHAT WOULD IT HURT?

no

kepdawg
02-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I actually thought about editting out the line where it mentioned it didn't count. I had a feeling that would end up taking away from the story. :(

Ranger Mom
02-16-2007, 02:56 PM

What would it hurt for you to NOT write in all caps???:D :p :D

Bull19
02-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
no

WHY NOT?

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
WHY NOT?

because what if your son was on the other team and they lose by one point and later down the road they come up one win short of a district championship?

maybe if they gave the other team two points also...

eagles_victory
02-16-2007, 02:59 PM
no the bucket shouldnt count thats just not the way the game works if he wants to be a story be like j mac from new york and score ur points in the game

carter08
02-16-2007, 03:01 PM
WHY NOT?

THE GAME HAD NOT STARTED

WARM UP SHOTS DO NOT EQUAL POINTS

I WISH HE WOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN THE GAME AND GIVEN AN OPPURTUNITY TO JUST MAKE ONE SHOT, WIDE OPEN, NO DEFENDER, MAKE IT COUNT

BUT NO. THIS WAS PRE GAME

Bull19
02-16-2007, 03:02 PM
because what if your son was on the other team and they lose by one point and later down the road they come up one win short of a district championship?

maybe if they gave the other team two points also...

ITS MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKETBALL

NOT LIKE YOUR FIGHTING FOR A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

Ranger Mom
02-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by carter08
THE GAME HAD NOT STARTED

WARM UP SHOTS DO NOT EQUAL POINTS

I WISH HE WOULD HAVE BEEN PUT IN THE GAME AND GIVEN AN OPPURTUNITY TO JUST MAKE ONE SHOT, WIDE OPEN, NO DEFENDER, MAKE IT COUNT

BUT NO. THIS WAS PRE GAME

Oh NO!!

Not you too!!! :eek:

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
ITS MIDDLE SCHOOL BASKETBALL

NOT LIKE YOUR FIGHTING FOR A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP.

you must not like competition

JR High is when you teach kids about the sport, how it works and how to win, you don't teach 'em to give other teams points because you wanna play nice...

Bull19
02-16-2007, 03:04 PM
you must not like competition

JR High is when you teach kids about the sport, how it works and how to win, you don't teach 'em to give other teams points because you wanna play nice...

TALK ABOUT NO SOUL

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
TALK ABOUT NO SOUL

you meant heart?

look I have a down syndrom cousin, he competes in special olympics against people just like him, he's one bad ass bowler and he's the coolest cousin I got... but I don't think his team should be GIVEN two points at the start of the game...

the kid is happy as it is, why worry about the shot countin'?

rundoe
02-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Great story.

If the kid was happy, why should we care if the shot counted or not. Sounds like he was happy and deserved the chance.

Great sportsmanship by the opposing coach.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

P.S. Way to go Parents. Am proud of you too.

I get too emotional over this stuff, sorry

88bobcats
02-16-2007, 04:07 PM
What a great story! Thanks for puttin' in on the downlow.

As far as the points debate goes, even the pros have allowed "gimme" shots to count. Kurt Rambis comes to mind. If the L.A. Lakers' opponents can do it, then Williams Middle School can do it too.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
What a great story! Thanks for puttin' in on the downlow.

As far as the points debate goes, even the pros have allowed "gimme" shots to count. Kurt Rambis comes to mind. If the L.A. Lakers' opponents can do it, then Williams Middle School can do it too.

Because the Lakers are the model of what every sports team should be

if the L.A. Lakers jumped off a bridge would you do it?