PDA

View Full Version : 2007 DISD Boys Postseason Basketball Classic

kepdawg
02-16-2007, 01:03 PM
DISD Postseason classic on tap for Saturday

11:27 PM CST on Thursday, February 15, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning Newsdsayles@dallasnews.com

The 2007 DISD Boys Postseason Basketball Classic will be Saturday at Ellis Davis Field House.

Defending 3A champ Roosevelt will open at noon against Richland. Spruce plays Carter at 1:30 p.m., and Skyline faces Highland Park at 3 p.m.

Kimball and North Crowley play at 4:30 p.m. The nightcaps feature two-time 4A champ South Oak Cliff against DeSoto at 6 p.m. and Duncanville against Fort Worth Dunbar at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students. Tickets including come-and-go privileges are $20 for adults, $10 for students. Tickets are only available at the Davis Field House ticket booth, which opens at 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

Adidas410s
02-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Why not Duncanville vs SOC? :(

Or even better...HP vs SOC ;)

Keith7
02-16-2007, 01:45 PM
sounds like a great day for high school hoops, i planned on trying to make it but I have to help a friend move :(

JR2004
02-16-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Why not Duncanville vs SOC? :(

Or even better...HP vs SOC ;)

Good luck getting other DISD schools to line up to play HP. Mayo is probably the only coach in DISD that would play them. The head coach over at Samuell will not schedule them in basketball no matter what and will never set foot on their campus ever again because of something that happened there a few years ago. He's one of many DISD coaches that feel that way about HP.

Besides it would get ugly if SOC lowered themselves to playing a team like the Scots.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Are all the teams in the play-offs?

Milk That Cow
02-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Good luck getting other DISD schools to line up to play HP. Mayo is probably the only coach in DISD that would play them. The head coach over at Samuell will not schedule them in basketball no matter what and will never set foot on their campus ever again because of something that happened there a few years ago. He's one of many DISD coaches that feel that way about HP.

You can't leave us hanging with that thread...

What happened a few years ago?

JR2004
02-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
You can't leave us hanging with that thread...

What happened a few years ago?

It happened when HP and Samuell played in the football playoffs (a game won by Samuell) a few years ago when the current boys basketball coach was still an assistant on the football team before he left to go to Madison. I know what happened still bothers him, but he'll talk about it from time to time during football season when we're at a game. The only way Samuell and HP will play each other is if they meet in the playoffs this year.

If I'm not mistaken I think I might've posted the basics of what happened with that story on here before so it should be around here somewhere.

kepdawg
02-16-2007, 11:44 PM
HP and SOC wouldn't play each other even if the coaches were best friends!

However, they should meet in the regional semifinals on March 2 at the Garland ISD Special Events Center.

JR2004
02-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
HP and SOC wouldn't play each other even if the coaches were best friends!

However, they should meet in the regional semifinals on March 2 at the Garland ISD Special Events Center.

They likely will, but I don't see the Scots having an answer for Morgan or Gipson or anyone else in that starting lineup for that matter.

The disconcerting thing here is that the UIL set it up this way by design. They have the 2 DISD districts playing each other in the first round in the playoffs and it's all because of those HP people who whined and complained until the UIL caved in and gave them their way on realignment. HP sure as heck wouldn't make the playoffs in Lincoln's district and they'd struggle to finish in third place in SOC's district. They got the gift that keeps on giving and got put in a cupcake district and just about get a free ride to the regional semis. I'd like to see the new DISD athletic director, Jeff Johnson, make a trip down to Austin to get this problem fixed so this doesn't happen again next year around this time when the districts get changed again.

kepdawg
02-17-2007, 12:58 AM
We all know HP runs the UIL, blah, blah, blah...:rolleyes:

JR2004
02-17-2007, 01:06 AM
I know they got their way on this realignment. It didn't happen by mistake. Anyone who thinks they didn't do some talking to the folks down in Austin just isn't clued in. It's one of the more shameful things the UIL has done in recent years. It doesn't top though when the former director, Bill Farney, took Copperas Cove and put them in REGION ONE in the late 90's so that his wife's basketball team at Georgetown wouldn't be in the same region as Shereka Wright's nationally ranked Lady Dawgs. Miraculously Cove moved back into region II once Shereka graduated!

If the districts were aligned like they were before, the odds are extremely slim that anyone outside of DISD gets into the regional tournament on a consistent basis in 4A anytime soon.

kepdawg
02-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I really don't think most schools are worried about getting to the regional tournament. At least they shouldn't be! Austin is the goal!

JR2004
02-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I really don't think most schools are worried about getting to the regional tournament. At least they shouldn't be! Austin is the goal!

You can't even make it to that point if you can't get through the DISD schools in the rounds before that. Setting up the districts where at least 2 DISD schools are gone in round one makes the path far easier than it used to be. Once you get to the regional tournament anything can happen.

HP hasn't been down to Austin in almost a decade and I don't expect it to change this year unless they pull off a giant upset at regionals. I thoroughly enjoyed their last trip down there as they were thrashed by Houston Waltrip who was led by Field Williams and Cedric Taylor. That one-on-one of Taylor vs. Chris Young (The same one pitching for the Padres now) was one of the best individual plays I've seen down in Austin. I couldn't believe how high that kid elevated over Young to get that dunk.

kepdawg
02-17-2007, 01:27 AM
I've never really thought of just getting to the regional tournament as much of an accomplishment for a district champion. Win 2 games and you're there. You are right that HP or anybody for that matter would have things a lot tougher if things were aligned differently. But HP told the UIL how to do the alignment so they get to wait until the regional semis to lose.