PDA

View Full Version : no more drunk weekends on the river

DU_stud04
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
No more drunken river weekends!!!!

They just passed a new law in New Braunfels that limits the number of drinks you are allowed to carry!

New limits set for river tubers...I just found out today, it was passed yesterday. The link above is for this article in the Houston Chronicle!

NEW BRAUNFELS — The City Council gave final approval to rules limiting the size of coolers on the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and banning alcohol at several riverfront parks.

After listening to dozens of residents on Monday night, mostly in opposition to the rules, the council voted 4-3 to limit tubers on the Comal to one six-pack-size cooler each and those on the Guadalupe to a 12-pack-size cooler. The council also voted to restrict open containers from three riverfront parks and the last public tuber exit on the Comal.

The new rules are the latest move in the city's struggle to cut down on drunken parties, rowdy behavior and litter resulting partly from the thousands of tourists who flock to the rivers every summer.

Party foul!

kaorder1999
02-16-2007, 12:17 PM
also there are a few riverfront parks where alcohol will not be allowed at all!

Adidas410s
02-16-2007, 12:18 PM
they're sure going to cut down on their tourism revenue :(

zeus63
02-16-2007, 12:19 PM
MAN LAW VOTE!!!!

City Councils may NOT in any way pass ordinances that interfere with good-natured beverage drinking.

bhtrainer
02-16-2007, 12:55 PM
thats so stupid! i mean c'mon who actually goes to the river and doesnt drink...can you say party foul...i mean drinkin and floatin and burnin yourself to death is half the fun of it...

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 01:00 PM
12 isn't bad...... if the river is actually moving fast...

Maroon87
02-16-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm just curious as to how exactly they're gonna enforce this law.:thinking:

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm just curious as to how exactly they're gonna enforce this law.:thinking:

the two times I went last summer they had law enforcement stretched across a section of the river searching for glass bottles etc... that'd be one way I guess...

BTEXDAD
02-16-2007, 02:27 PM
i havne't been on river in yrs, but as suggestion, you could have designated tubers to carry extra beer.
Designated tuber of course could not drink, that would screw up the system.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
i havne't been on river in yrs, but as suggestion, you could have designated tubers to carry extra beer.
Designated tuber of course could not drink, that would screw up the system.

I say put a secret compartment in the bottom of this 12-pack holdin' ice-chest that holds six more....

RMAC
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
No more drunken river weekends!!!!

They just passed a new law in New Braunfels that limits the number of drinks you are allowed to carry!

New limits set for river tubers...I just found out today, it was passed yesterday. The link above is for this article in the Houston Chronicle!

NEW BRAUNFELS — The City Council gave final approval to rules limiting the size of coolers on the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and banning alcohol at several riverfront parks.

After listening to dozens of residents on Monday night, mostly in opposition to the rules, the council voted 4-3 to limit tubers on the Comal to one six-pack-size cooler each and those on the Guadalupe to a 12-pack-size cooler. The council also voted to restrict open containers from three riverfront parks and the last public tuber exit on the Comal.

The new rules are the latest move in the city's struggle to cut down on drunken parties, rowdy behavior and litter resulting partly from the thousands of tourists who flock to the rivers every summer.

Party foul!

There are ways around such things. Water bottles full of vodka, or for those who really want to die, everclear.

Bull19
02-16-2007, 02:55 PM
CANT GO WRONG WITH SCREWDRIVERS.

AP Panther Fan
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
First jello shots and now this...:rolleyes:

If you can drink more than a six pack on the Comal you might have bigger issues than just reducing the size of your cooler...it is a quick float, if you know what I mean.

Now the Guadalupe, that's another story altogether.:mad:

CHS_CG
02-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I went tubing last year on the comal with my friends and we didnt see 1 cop the whole time

rundoe
02-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
12 isn't bad...... if the river is actually moving fast...

when its moving fast, people spill more than they drink, lol

AP Panther Fan
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
I went tubing last year on the comal with my friends and we didnt see 1 cop the whole time

We usually go every year and have seen them in the river as well as on the riversides with binoculars. I think you got lucky...they show up in full force on holiday weekends.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
We usually go every year and have seen them in the river as well as on the riversides with binoculars. I think you got lucky...they show up in full force on holiday weekends.

yah, had to have gotten lucky, they're all over the place

CHS_CG
02-16-2007, 03:14 PM
We went on a weekend close to the end of summer.. i promise we didnt see 1 cop.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 03:15 PM

got lucky

AP Panther Fan
02-16-2007, 03:19 PM

You might not have seen them, but I bet they saw you. The ones actually in the river don't stand out like an officer in uniform. Seems like I usually see them ride up to the park across from the tube shoot on bicycles too.

Gobbla2001
02-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
You might not have seen them, but I bet they saw you. The ones actually in the river don't stand out like an officer in uniform. Seems like I usually see them ride up to the park across from the tube shoot on bicycles too.

I've seen 'em on bicycles as well... they think they're Lance Armstrong...

g$$
02-16-2007, 04:21 PM
They just cut their own throat in $$ from tourists & partiers on the river. I do understand their concerns to clean it up, make it more family-oriented again, etc., but how about just stricter enforcement of drunken behavior & more tickets?

I bet this is modified after a trial run when their local businesses throw a big fit. NB needs the $$ generated from the rivers. I bet more people float the Comal & reload the sixer time & again!