PDA

View Full Version : Our Judicial System

Sftball4Life
02-16-2007, 11:50 AM
OK - I didn't attend either of these trials - so I didn't hear any of the testimony - but I just don't follow the logic, or lack thereof...

Two Texarkana trials

(1) In January, a jury convicted a man of 1st degree murder after he shot and killed his ex-wife's new boyfriend, while the boyfriend was driving away from her residence with a baby in a carseat strapped into the back seat. After being shot, he crashed the car into the garage of a neighbor's house. Fortunately, the baby was okay.

sentence: 7 years

(2) In February, a man pleads guilty to "inciting a riot" when he encouraged a large group of people to ignore police telling them to quit popping firecrackers because of dry conditions. He apparently told them to shoot bottle rockets at the police. A judge (who had full disclosure of the fact that the man had already been in several scrapes with the law) passes sentence on the guilty plea.

sentence: 5 years for the riot + an additional 10 years for probation violation by getting in trouble again

WOW

Blastoderm55
02-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Well, firing bottlerockets at the officiers could have been construed as attempting to harm a peace office or something like that, but getting tougher sentence than murder is just crazy.

Adidas410s
02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
you can't compare apples to oranges...well you can but you won't make a good comparison.

big daddy russ
02-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Well, firing bottlerockets at the officiers could have been construed as attempting to harm a peace office or something like that, but getting tougher sentence than murder is just crazy.
I've been hit with bottle rockets and roman candles. Hell, we used to have wars. It isn't that bad, and definitely not worth 15 years.

sinton66
02-16-2007, 08:39 PM
If he was charged with assault of a police officer, that can be a felony. If already on parole from an earlier felony or even a misdemeanor conviction, the former sentence can get tacked onto the current plus some time for the parole violation. The third "brush" with the law can result in a "repeat offender" conviction which can also be a felony.

Who-dun-it!!?
02-16-2007, 08:48 PM
The moron obviously knew he was still on probation, and subject to return to jail for the duration of his probation if he screwed up again. I guess he screwed up again. As for the murder, I agree, 7 years isn't enough. Was he for sure convicted of "1st degree", if so the range is 5-99.

sinton66
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
The laws these days are written to leave an awful lot up to the discretion of the officer. I grew up when the law was down in black and white and something was illegal or it wasn't. Enforcement officials knew exactly where the line was. Now the "line" can be drawn dang near anywhere at any time.

Who-dun-it!!?
02-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The laws these days are written to leave an awful lot up to the discretion of the officer. I grew up when the law was down in black and white and something was illegal or it wasn't. Enforcement officials knew exactly where the line was. Now the "line" can be drawn dang near anywhere at any time.

I somewhat agree with you, But I know I am held to a very high standard in my department. And I am not at liberty to consider something an offense if it really isn't. While there are varying interpretations of the law, "done by Lawyers," we as officers are still expected to enforce whats in black and white.